BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

i was really surprised when people wanted him to be played towards the end of his rovers stint. it was obvious he wasn't up to it. he may have been able to finish but he could rarely get into goalscoring positions anymore. i was more than happy to stick with a misfiring roberts since at least for all his limitations he played with a little bit of pride and commitment more often than not. then the idiots would chime up with 'benni mccarthy, benni mccarthy, benni mccarthy' and it became obvious i was surrounded by fools.

I have to say if that article is correct and Benni is earning £50,000 p.week + image rights money they deserve to be relegated. I agree it should have been done in private with Gold/Sullivan,but good business to get rid of him as he was so out of shape. Although looking at that pic in the Mirror I thought he looked one of those huge steak & kidney puds!. LOL! that pic does not do him any justice!.

What a sad waste of an incredible talent. Unless he pulls his socks up very, very soon he'll be out on his ear at Wet Spam and the next we'll see of him will be a balloon sized Benni on TV as a pundit. He's a fairly intelligent guy so why is he so bloody idiotic?

• Like 1

I doubt he will recover from this blow. His loss, and what a loss it is. No one to blame but himself. I think he would have been in better shape had he been with us.

I feel sad for him on one hand, and its probably too late for him to have a change of attitude at his age.

It'll be a rapid slide into obscurity for Benni now. As other posters have mentioned above, to not even be motivated enough to lose weight in time for your home country's World Cup says it all.

Edited by tcj_jones

This is why Sam's so good, often though we don't get to see what happens behind the scenes to give credit where it's due. We struck lucky then on a number of counts :

- Benni's place in our team was taken by someone more fit and therefore more effective, just when we needed it

- we lost his huge wages

- we got paid a fee

- Sam demo'd his authority by showing the dressing roonm that he will get rid of anyone who crosses him

Thinking about Maradona and what caused his weight gain - perhaps it's not beyond the bounds of reason that Benni has a 'medical' reason for his weight gain caused by who knows what (one can speculate of course). Surely lack of games through injury isn't enough to make you blow up like that, neither is it credible that he really does go out and gorge on junk food. He wouldn't he be that stupid surely, especially with his swan song World Cup coming up.

Whatever the scenario, Sam done good :-)

• Like 1

• Backroom

Being paid all that money, with enough natural talent to make fellow professionals jealous, and he can't even be bothered to stay in shape. He can't even get motivated to be fit in the year his home country are playing in and hosting a world cup.

What a waste of talent, glad we got rid when we did. £2.5M was a steal.

I doubt he will recover from this blow.

I don't think he'll give a toss. It doesn't take long to get into shape, he's had two sets of management on his case for 12 months. If he wanted to be there he would have made the effort.

He'll have to leave the Premier League if he's to have any sort of career left, he's obviously not going to up to the physical demands of it ever again.

Assuming the dildo twins will tell Grant to get rid, the only way for Benni is down. 1st division clubs won't afford his wages, let alone be interested, and no other top division European club would go near him. His only choices would be some rich loons from Qatar, Turkmenistan etc. or the A-League.

In short, he'll be on the scrap heap very very soon unless we see a huge improvement in fitness and attitude.

Pathetically sad. :(

But let's try to remember he scored 52 goals in 103 starts (+37 subs) for us. OK?

Please refrain from the usual pubescent volatility that pervades this forum.

All you're doing is beating a dead horse and it's classless behavior.

• Like 4

South Africa's gain, McCarthy's loss.

McCarthy gained, that's the problem! Unreal that the guy wouldn't get in shape to play in the World Cup in front of his own people. Says a lot about the guy's attitude and motivation.

But let's try to remember he scored 52 goals in 103 starts (+37 subs) for us. OK?

Agreed- it is only three seasons ago Benni was runner-up in the Premier League Golden Boot playing for Rovers

• Like 6

If I want to berate an overpaid and overfed footballer then I will thankyou.

• Like 3

What about the number of times the lazy so and so couldn't be bother dragging his fat gut around the pitch to graft and do his bit? He was paid handsomely to score goals, that was his job so '52 goals in 140 appearances' (37 league goals in 109 apps) is the least we should expect. I like to see Rovers players graft, you didn't see it too often from Benni. If he had grafted a little maybe he'd have been fitter and still playing first team football.

• Like 3

It's easy to kick someone when they're down. I'm not making any excuses for McCarthy, but he isn't our responsibility anymore. There's really no need for the bile.

Correct. Shame that he put weight on and lost fitness but my memory of him is for his skill not his weight. Having said that the change in squad attitude after he left was dramatic, but whether the two events were connected I don't know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.