BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Being paid all that money, with enough natural talent to make fellow professionals jealous, and he can't even be bothered to stay in shape. He can't even get motivated to be fit in the year his home country are playing in and hosting a world cup.

What a waste of talent, glad we got rid when we did. £2.5M was a steal.

Have to admit to being shocked at his apparent downfall,his last chance at a world cup,a talented player who seems to have lost all motivation.Have to agree with doctorryan that the name calling is OTT...he was once a good player for us in the blue 'n' white.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Shame to see him miss out on such an occasion in his own country when it is all down to him.

Overall, he was an excellent signing for us. Those bemoaning his work-rate are not mentioning that if he had been the player we all wanted him to be we would never have seen him within miles of Ewood.

Still, his going on strike shows that Sam was completely right to get shut. Those criticising the decision were quite simply wrong. Albeit it has taken hindsight to 100% fully be sure of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Look at the comments, the West Ham fans hate him already. :D

I'm not sure why people are insisting we have to be nice to him. He was excellent in his first season, then did his best to get move to Chelsea that summer, spent the next season sulking (by which time Roque had replaced him as our main man), then after that was too fat and lazy to play on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Look at the comments, the West Ham fans hate him already. :D

I'm not sure why people are insisting we have to be nice to him. He was excellent in his first season, then did his best to get move to Chelsea that summer, spent the next season sulking (by which time Roque had replaced him as our main man), then after that was too fat and lazy to play on a regular basis.

pretty much sums it up! :rover:

I'm not sure why people are insisting we have to be nice to him.

I'm not sure anyone said to play nice, but the venom towards him is pointless. He's single-handedly screwed his career up and blown his last chance of playing at the World Cup.

• Like 2

I'm not sure anyone said to play nice, but the venom towards him is pointless. He's single-handedly screwed his career up and blown his last chance of playing at the World Cup.

When I saw the South africans being led out by The Axe and they were all singing and dancing in the tunnel it sent shivers up my spine and covered me in goosebumps, also so many South African fans talking about there best player Benni Mccarthy before the WC, the majority not even knowing he wasnt in the squad.

How they really could have done with an in form and fit Benni too, he could have made hero status in his home country if only he would have given some effort, I certainly cant speak for him but if he hasnt got the biggest regret of his life after missing out on that then he was born with no heart.

Such a shame for him to reflect back on in later life, some people just never learn.

• Like 2

When I saw the South africans being led out by The Axe and they were all singing and dancing in the tunnel it sent shivers up my spine and covered me in goosebumps, also so many South African fans talking about there best player Benni Mccarthy before the WC, the majority not even knowing he wasnt in the squad.

How they really could have done with an in form and fit Benni too, he could have made hero status in his home country if only he would have given some effort, I certainly cant speak for him but if he hasnt got the biggest regret of his life after missing out on that then he was born with no heart.

Such a shame for him to reflect back on in later life, some people just never learn.

I don't think Benni is particularly bright and he's likely very selfish. He'll wake up sometime around his early 40s and realize what a fool he's been. By then, though, it will be too late.

I think the above is true of most top tier footballers. They forget what they are (athletes) and instead become celebrities. Problem is without the first they lose the second.

A real shame that Benni couldn't get himself to a suitable level of fitness for the tournament for himself as has been mentioned, but also for the South African team. I think they missed a player of his style (when fit and motivated) to give that creative spark and goal threat in the final third of the pitch. I think he would have complimented Katlego Mphela very well up front, playing just off him. Mphela looked too isolated for most of the tournament. He must have felt like a prize idiot watching that tournament from home knowing what could have been.

• 1 month later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/7941574/West-Ham-to-fine-Benni-McCarthy-if-striker-does-not-lose-weight.html

To me this just proves what a masterstroke it was getting rid at the time we did, I am just hoping WHU dont take us to court for Robbery

And yet we've had people on the transfer topic this week saying that we shouldn't have sold him!

Oh yeah I forgot, paying in the region of 50k a week for someone who cannot do their job makes complete sense. Rovers fans never fail to astound me

A fat Benni is still better than Heskey or Beattie or Benjani. Just saying. Evidence: his match for us vs Chelsea in the Carling cup last season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.