BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

"EDIT: Oh, and Kalinic looks bloody good. Have you not been watching him?! "

I didn't say that, is he or is he not a gamble? 6million we spent on him, he needs to start proving his worth (which he has in recent weeks).

"Di santo may be a flop but he is only 20 and leading the line is a tough job,he has pace,skill,awareness and is good in the air with the right coaching he will come good. To right him off already is tripe and comparing him to dickov and kuqi is daft."

He has done that good a job he is now slowly dropping down the starting order line? And yes it is daft to compare him to Kuqi and Dickov, they both got double figures while they were here.

Change Di Santo's name to Ben Smith and we signed him from Swindon and all this 'he will come good' stuff wouldn't exist. People are living on hype built up by nicko's opinion when we signed him, the fact he plays for chelsea and because he has a nice foreign name.

Benni still is our best goal scorer. I would say it is a fairly major decision to let him leave, particularly as we are involved in a relegation battle.

On the merits of selling him - we know his qualities, but there is more to it than that – the manager does not like putting Benni in the team and Benni does not like playing for us (due to style of football & lack of first team opportunities).

Personally I would keep him until the end of the season if possible, as he is quality and his departure would only weaken us in the short-term.

The repalcement would have to be decent quality to make me feel comfortable about him leaving.

• Like 1

"EDIT: Oh, and Kalinic looks bloody good. Have you not been watching him?! "

I didn't say that, is he or is he not a gamble? 6million we spent on him, he needs to start proving his worth (which he has in recent weeks).

"Di santo may be a flop but he is only 20 and leading the line is a tough job,he has pace,skill,awareness and is good in the air with the right coaching he will come good. To right him off already is tripe and comparing him to dickov and kuqi is daft."

He has done that good a job he is now slowly dropping down the starting order line? And yes it is daft to compare him to Kuqi and Dickov, they both got double figures while they were here.

Change Di Santo's name to Ben Smith and we signed him from Swindon and all this 'he will come good' stuff wouldn't exist. People are living on hype built up by nicko's opinion when we signed him, the fact he plays for chelsea and because he has a nice foreign name.

Did Kuqi, Dickov and co have pace, skill, awareness and were good in the air? Correct me if I am wrong but were they not on the wrong side of 20 when they joined us?

Do you not think that if a player possessed the attributes described at the age of 20, then potentially they could be a top class player?

I think it is daft to compare to the players mentioned as potentially Di Santo could be a world class player, if he was scoring goals then he would be a £15+ million player.

And the fat one shows his professionalism by remaining overweight despite the extra tranining and warnings from the club.

Does that make McCarthy a positive for Rovers ? IMO he is a liability, an accident waiting to happen. He constantly flicks out at the ball and causes us trouble in the middle of the park a bit like Andrews does when he chases the ball.

I say get rid now and take the money.

He isnt going to play for SA no matter which club he plays for. He has lost his pace, lost his eye for goal, cant be bothered because the money he has made is playing too much on his mind a bit like the rolls of fat around his stomach.

I'm not McCarthy's biggest fan, so if he were to go for £2.5m (or indeed if it's a loan and we're getting a £2.5m fee and his wages off the books) then I'm not too fussed. He's an extremely talented player, but lazy beyond belief - it's a mark of his talent that he's able to play at such a high level despite barely putting in the required hours.

I'm more concerned about whether we'd see the money or not. Knowing our board they'd simply argue McCarthy off the wages brings us closer to the required squad wage budget and bank the money.

I'm not McCarthy's biggest fan, so if he were to go for £2.5m (or indeed if it's a loan and we're getting a £2.5m fee and his wages off the books) then I'm not too fussed. He's an extremely talented player, but lazy beyond belief - it's a mark of his talent that he's able to play at such a high level despite barely putting in the required hours.

I'm more concerned about whether we'd see the money or not. Knowing our board they'd simply argue McCarthy off the wages brings us closer to the required squad wage budget and bank the money.

I've been concerned about this. Assuming:

1. First teams of 25 players; and,

2. Sam prefers playing a 4-4-1-1; then,

Di Santo and Kalinic would seem to fill the required striker upfront roles. Benni and Roberts fees and wages would presumably be spent to find 2 players who could play behind the forwards. Dunn could, but is frequently unable, to fill the role. But if the board is thinking that Dunn is one of the two hole players, the board may not see the need to invest in 2, while Dunn is on the books.

What we should be doing is offloading Dunn, Reid, Benni, Roberts, MGP, Andrews (and hopefully, EHD), and buying 2 hole players (Ibricic would be a good start) and getting 2 new "passing" midfielders (to use Sam's term), a left winger (to back up Olson or vice versa) and a left back (with Givet/Chimbonda as back up). Alas, most of these changes look to happen in the summer, which may not be a bad thing as too much mid-year disruption would be a problem.

But the real question is whether the board understands the need for a housecleaning and whether they'll be 100% behind the process if and when it starts.

Whilst I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of selling McCarthy I now think we need to get him out of the place asap.

He's clearly keen to leave and if the move were to fall through for any reason I reckon he'd be no use to us whatsoever. Even less so than at the moment.

We do however need to replace him as a priority. I am surprised his replacement hasn't been sorted out well before now as his departure has been on the cards for ages.

There must be someone better long term than Beattie about as well. If it means spending a bit more in order to get someone who'll be good for the forseeable future rather than just a season or so then that's the direction the owners should be looking in.

The priority seems to be trying to replace Belly for the same price whereas we should actually be looking for the right sort of player.

That's if we want to flourish on the pitch anyhow.

But the real question is whether the board understands the need for a housecleaning and whether they'll be 100% behind the process if and when it starts.

The cleaners at Ewood have always been hard-working, conscientious ladies in my experience although I did spot a speck of dust behind the aspidistra the last time I was in the boardroom.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.