BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

With Benni (and maybe Pedersen gone) we might get in Ibricic. He'll provide service for both kalinic and DiSanto! (plus some wgaes saved, I'd hope)

Rely on unproven players when in a relegation scrap, bit risky, no?

smoss, it is 23 January and the post that got me into so much trouble 13 days ago because I didn't have a question mark on it still applies.

I cannot think of any permanent transfers this window- can anybody?

I think the point being made is not about Rovers comparative advantage or disadvantage in the market, I think it is that there is no market this window, or certainly not in the first 70+% of it.

Relying on a player moving to a new country to make an immediate impact is quite a lot of pressure.

I believe we definitely need to sign at least one "fresh blood" from within the Premier League or with PL experience, even if we get Ibricic who is an exciting talent.

I'd personally be happy to stick with Hoilett and Olsson on the wings (despite their inexperience) if it allowed Ibricic to settle. I think kalinic would play a big part in any potential move too. I hope he comes here reardless.

Think what you want.

I will, thanks. I thought the same about Benni when he was pulling his antics under Hughes as I do now. This is not about the manager...this is about a player who has had issues with each of his last 4 bosses. Ridiculously talented but let´s not forget that even in his best season for us he was dropped by Hughes. At the end of the season he didn´t get his move to Chelsea and has never been the same player since.

If this had been under any other manager I am sure you would be seeing this differently.

It appears that a number of senior first team players want away, even if McCarthy has been the most vocal about it (he has more at stake with the World Cup situation). He hasn't been so unfit as to be left out of the squad has he??

I don´t remember many times in the last quarter century when we didn´t have some players wanting away.

As for Warnock...why would Sam want rid of one of his best players? Tugay...well, maybe we should have kept him, but there is no guarantee that this season wouldn´t have been too much for him. Did he truly want to keep playing? Mind you, with hinsight, anyone over Andrews seems a good option.

Allardyce has done plenty to annoy but Benni...no way. Neither Hughes, Ince or Allardyce have managed to tame him for that long. All the approaches have been taken, including bigging him up, and he goes on strike...

• Like 1

I really don't see why it came to this. Coming into the window, we had a player with a good Premier League pedigree who wanted to leave and a manager who wanted to sell him and replace him - a win-win you would think. Now, with a week to go, the world knows we have a fat, lazy, out-of-form player on strike, which can hardly be pushing up the bidding price - everyone loses!

In what way does Benni lose? He already has suitors and they might even have had a hand in getting him to do the dirty on BRFC.

So Benni will get a huge signing-on fee, no doubt hugher wages and a move to London. If he can get the transfer fee down by going on strike no doubt he will get a slice of that too.

Benni is the big winner in all this...but only if Rovers cave in.

If they do not get the price they want they should not sell. If Benni doesn´t like it he can play in the reserves...and jeopardise playing in and the chance of being the hero in the greatest sporting event his country has ever known.

Over to you Mr Williams...

I will, thanks. I thought the same about Benni when he was pulling his antics under Hughes as I do now. This is not about the manager...this is about a player who has had issues with each of his last 4 bosses. Ridiculously talented but let´s not forget that even in his best season for us he was dropped by Hughes. At the end of the season he didn´t get his move to Chelsea and has never been the same player since.

If this had been under any other manager I am sure you would be seeing this differently.

I don´t remember many times in the last quarter century when we didn´t have some players wanting away.

As for Warnock...why would Sam want rid of one of his best players? Tugay...well, maybe we should have kept him, but there is no guarantee that this season wouldn´t have been too much for him. Did he truly want to keep playing? Mind you, with hinsight, anyone over Andrews seems a good option.

Allardyce has done plenty to annoy but Benni...no way. Neither Hughes, Ince or Allardyce have managed to tame him for that long. All the approaches have been taken, including bigging him up, and he goes on strike...

Benni spits his dummy out and we are all supposed to care. I don't think so!

What market?? Accrington? Darwen?

Push comes to shove, this club needs to use what it has, and use it well. We can't afford a facelift - we can't even afford one new player.

Sounds like you're condoning his behaviour. He's been like this, more or less, for the whole 4 years we've had him. How can you use Benni well if he can't even be arsed to get fit?

The deal is done mentally, ship him out on our terms,do the same with Pedersen and Roberts, like it or not Beattie is waiting in the wings having turned down a few offers. He may not wait too long with Fulham in the hunt. Sam has others to cover or half of Europe's loaners on standby. out with the old in with the new and then let's see how Sams team stands up.

No of course he hasn't, and you won't find me defending him over this method of forcing a move.

But he gives (gave) us another dimension, and has been misused by a manager intent on relying on percentages rather than flair, in a season when he should have been given the platform to perform to his maximum.

To perform to his maximum he would have to get fit. What sort of professional footballer comes back after the break in the state he was?

But when your manager comes up to you in the summer, and says hes going to sell you.

This for me would not endear me to play or try harder in the least, in fact i'd just be waiting for the first opportunity to get out which Benni has done. There should be some empathy shown towards Benni MaCarthy here rather than just slagging him off.

Like Tris you are just using this issue as a stick to beat the manager with. pretty much what you do with every post. Benni's conduct is indefensible as is your own.

Got to ask, why does Dunny not want to sign a contract?

why does Hoilett not want to sign a new contract ?

why is MGP looking elsewhere?

What are the problems at the club or should I say WHO are the problems at the club ?

MGP!! Scraping the barrel there! Dunn apparently wants a longer term contract than the club has offered. Who's right there? Hoilett--I don't know. Doesn't see himself as a winger and is being courted by big german clubs I guess. Hardly the managers' fault.

Like Tris you are just using this issue as a stick to beat the manager with. pretty much what you do with every post. Benni's conduct is indefensible as is your own.

Flamin' heck, its just an opinion.

Drama queen.

• Like 3

Hammer time for training-dodger Benni McCarthy after West Ham-bound striker is blasted by Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce has slammed striker Benni McCarthy, a West Ham transfer target, for going AWOL.

The South African forward, whom the club believe is in Spain, missed training sessions on Monday and last Friday and is keen to quit Ewood Park after falling out with Allardyce over his fitness.

Now West Ham plan to take advantage by tabling a reduced offer of £1.5million for the 32-year-old, with the move expected to be completed this week.

Allardyce feels he has little option but to agree a deal and plans to use the cash to sign Stoke’s James Beattie.

He should be slammed he has acted like a complete @#/?. His Rovers career is finished, Sam definitely won't want him here after this and if we are stuck with him then he will be rotting in the reserves with no chance of ever featuring for the side again.

Sounds like you're condoning his behaviour. He's been like this, more or less, for the whole 4 years we've had him. How can you use Benni well if he can't even be arsed to get fit?

To perform to his maximum he would have to get fit. What sort of professional footballer comes back after the break in the state he was?

I've already done the opposite of condoning his current behaviour a few posts up. Please learn to read and understand.

Whatever state he came back in, he's managed to stay in our top 3 goalscorers list this season, despite being last in the managers pecking order of 4 crap strikers + a fat injury prone free running midfielder (who also wants to escape the Allardyce regime).

That speaks volumes for Benni Mac's ability, despite his fitness levels. More worryingly, it speaks volumes about where Allardyce is taking this club. Away from its traditions and values, and away from what supporters want. Benni Mac -> Beattie (or similar) = 19,000 ST holders -> 15,000 ST holders. At any price.

I'm sure you'll be the first to complain when the only forward option off the bench this time next month is some talentless lump with a worse scoring record than Di Santo. We can't afford new talent like McCarthy, so we had to keep the McCarthy we already owned.

In other words, Sam has screwed up.

How has he screwed up philip? The guy has gone AWOL and now has now gone public. He has stated he will never play for the club again. What is Sam supposed to do? Perhaps up his wages in an attempt to get him fit?

No doubt they'll be a few on the BBE on Wednesday singing "Benni McCarthy" as he screws us not only for his wages but also reduces the chances of getting a good fee to sign a replacement.

All this in World Cup year as well. Nasty Sam not playing Benni all the time so he can lose some weight. Lifes a bitch ain't it.

Rely on unproven players when in a relegation scrap, bit risky, no?

Our 'proven' stars have not exactly lit the world on fire. I think its riskier to stick with the same old unfit, lazy and arrogant players. We'd be better off bringing in some younger, hungrier talent.

Relying on a player moving to a new country to make an immediate impact is quite a lot of pressure.

I believe we definitely need to sign at least one "fresh blood" from within the Premier League or with PL experience, even if we get Ibricic who is an exciting talent.

I wouldn't disagree with this it all. So far it looks to be an even mix of experience and youth that Sam is bringing/has brought in

smoss, it is 23 January and the post that got me into so much trouble 13 days ago because I didn't have a question mark on it still applies.

I cannot think of any permanent transfers this window- can anybody?

I think the point being made is not about Rovers comparative advantage or disadvantage in the market, I think it is that there is no market this window, or certainly not in the first 70+% of it.

I agree. It seems much ado about nothing. But then my addiction to football's transfer window drama is akin to my wife's addiction to Oprah/Desperate Housewifes, etc. (shudder).

Happens all the time over here in the states owners/gm/coaches will bench star players rather than give into demands.

Better to make a high profile example of one or two, then let the players get the idea they're in charge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.