BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Save his wage and get in someone else ie Eider from Monaco

Not the correct thread I know, but can't help but think Eiders best days are behind him, hardly setting the French league on fire.

Also the weight of expectation on his shoulders, should he come here, almost sets the lad up to fail.

Not sure what alternatives we have, but Eider isn't the man for Ewood for me.

If this were the actions of a player of consequence I'd be gutted. As it is I'm dumbfounded and infuriated. Just who does this useless, lazy fat @#/? think he is?

Just one of the reasons fans are switching off to top flight football.

Same goes for that waste of space Robiniho, who the **** does he think he is? I know its City but still.....

I'm normally quite supportive of the manager/club relenting to a player when they want away. But I will be very disappointed if the club let Benni go. I'm mostly supportive of Allardyce, but he's made a mistake with his handling up until this point, in so far as he's almost encouraged clubs to come in for Benni. I'd be especially cricitcal of Sam if he lets Benni go on the cheap, because of the following.

Sure there is a risk that we'll being paying wages for a player who we cannot play, but it is a calculated risk. As another post has stated it, Benni will be desperate to stay in the World Cup frame. If we refuse to sell it would seem likely that at some point, he'll "come to". He'll realise that he'll have to make or break, so to speak, at Rovers.

Even if he doesn't "come to", is selected for SA and has a decent World Cup anyway, we can sell him in what's left of the window before next season.

Unfortunately, we cannot take the slight risk of Benni calling our bluff and refusing to focus on his football with Rovers. That means we will have to take the double whammy on cost and actually bring in a replacement for him in this window anyway. I hope the club are strong willed enough to take this financial risk, but I can understand if they relent and offload.

Edited by Shaddy
  • Like 1

It did when Chelsea supposedly came knocking but no official bid was made.

Yeah, it is a shame. If Benni had kept his toys in the pram and kept on scoring then he could have probably got a move to a CL club the following summer for the circa 15m we were looking for. However he lost interest when Cruz took over the lead role and suffered a massive dip in form.

Arguably, after Tugay, the most technically gifted player we have had a Rovers in Premiership times. But his biggest enemy has been himself. He could have become one of europes top players imo if he handled himself correctly. The annoying thing is he will probably walk into West Ham and set the house on fire till the end of the season. He showed against Fulham what he can do when he foucusses and the Hammers will reap this as he will wnat to impress the fans a win his place, Not good when we are competing against them in a relegation battle.

• Like 1

I really do hate the way football prima donnas act nowadays,

I would love if Rovers stood up to Benni, made him honor his contract & effectively ended his world cup dreams & his career!! I know this would cost us financially & we cannot afford that, also having him around the place would be disruptive!

However, it would bring our club into the spotlight & show players that we are not willing to stand for this. The players are not bigger than the club, if it were handled in the right manner & the media were to pick up on it, it can only be of benefit to us & smaller clubs like ours!!

I'm normally quite supportive of the manager/club relenting to a player when they want away. But I will be very disappointed if the club let Benni go. I'm mostly supportive of Allardyce, but he's made a mistake with his handling up until this point, in so far as he's almost encouraged clubs to come in for Benni.

McCarthy has always had a poor attitude - it's why many so-called "big clubs" decided not to buy him before Hughes took the plunge and managed to get him cheap.

He's been a good signing on the whole but after that excellent first season he has slowly lapsed into his old ways and from what I have been hearing is a bad influence in the dressing room.

The club will be better off without him but the timing of this episode with an important match against Wigan tomorrow is unfortunate to say the least.

• Like 2

• Backroom

West Ham fans seem generally quite pleased by the prospect of McCarthy joining them. I think he could potentially do quite well for them with the World Cup coming up. If rumours of a 2.5 year deal are true, though, they're in for a huge disappointment next season when he turns up fat(ter), unmotivated and outspoken.

Edited by DE4life

West Ham fans seem generally quite pleased by the prospect of McCarthy joining them. I think he could potentially do quite well for them with the World Cup coming up. If rumours of a 2.5 year deal are true, though, they're in for a huge disappointment next season when he turns up fat(ter), unmotivated and outspoken.

The deal quoted in one of the papers this morning for Hammers to sign Benni is only at £1.2m.

It looks like the fanny hammers are in a win win situation here.

The seeds were sown long ago, he has never been fully committed to the Rovers, he wanted to leave a couple of seasons back when there was a rumour that Chelsea were sniffing round and has had itchy feet in every transfer window since.

If he does go to West Ham, and as far as I'm concerned they're welcome to him, he'll have to up his work rate and work a hell of a lot harder than he has done here. How long until he wants out of West Ham to go to the Scottish Sunday League???

Do you not think he was fully committed during the last home game against Fulham ? For me he was our man of the match and the ONLY inspiration behind the two defenders scoring the goals.

I'd say its time to sit down with the player and agent(s), we now have common interests:

This is simply about money: How much do you want to go Benni? Make up the difference (by accepting lower personal terms or paying off your contract) and away you go.

I'd like to see some guts from the club (and manager) here. Take him on.

Do you not think he was fully committed during the last home game against Fulham ? For me he was our man of the match and the ONLY inspiration behind the two defenders scoring the goals.

Yes, you cannot take away from the fact that his contribution was a major factor to us winning the Fulham match.

bloody hell, Ranulf. I bet the birthday punch didn't last long with Gazza and

Andy 'the bum-chin Payton.' haha. did he hide in your wardrobe ???

on benni 'big-mac' i had a feeling things would end bitterly...i couldnt understand why the majority of rovers fans have been chanting his name for the past few weeks

(obvious he was going to leave). going on strike at any club is despicable.. not sure i can add much more about that.

IN MY OPINION.

he has been hiding behind a few lines of bullshit about 'wanting to play more games' and ensure he gets into the south africa squad.. when clearly he doesnt get on with fat sam and he'd quite like a pay raise and see the bright lights of London.

that's up to him.

i dont think rovers will miss him too much (on the pitch) and he'll soon be forgotten by his disciples on the terraces.

Yet another thing from benni mccarthy.

I haven't been behind him since his first outbreak when he said he doesn't want to be with us. The he does it again to add more insult to his employers. Then his total performance since then has been his own downfall as he was trying to push blackburn rovers to get rid and at a cost to Blackburn rovers.

If I ever under-performed as he has where I work I would of been disciplined or even sacked ASAP.

Benni is one of those players who seems to get better and better the less that they actually play.

Every now and then he turns up for a game. This has happened since we signed him.

The post thinking this wouldn´t happen under Hughes is laughable. Under Hughes he was dropped countless times. Under Hughes he admitted he wasn´t in the right frame of mind for a good half season after the Chelsea move fell through.

Man...this guy really loves Rovers down to his bones doesn´t he?

The are a lot of things to bash Allardyce with I fully admit but this Benni saga isn´t one of them.

However...we should not let him go on the cheap. West Ham are willing to pay way more than the knockdown. They just think BRFC might be weak and cave in immediately. Whose need is greater? Theirs or ours?

Time to play tough for Rovers. Who has most to lose? West Ham are battling relegation. Benni needs to play if he wants to make the World Cup. Other teams will be interested in him as well.

No reason to be caving in. Apart from anything else...if we accept a reduced fee we are just helping relegation rivals. Better to wait for the summer if need be. I´m sure Benni will come around if he wants to be representing his country this coming summer...

Either they pay the price or we should sit tight until the summer.

Edited by FourLaneBlue
  • Like 3

Time to play tough for Rovers. Who has most to lose? West Ham are battling relegation. Benni needs to play if he wants to make the World Cup. Other teams will be interested in him as well.

No reason to be caving in. Apart from anything else...if we accept a reduced fee we are just helping relegation rivals. Better to wait for the summer if need be. I´m sure Benni will come around if he wants to be representing his country this coming summer...

Either they pay the price or we should sit tight until the summer.

He won't play for the club ever again, he will have to rot in the reserves on his large pay packet. As a fan i don't want to see him put on the blue and white ever again as he is a total disgrace.

Him staying does far more harm than good. Just get rid of him, even if it means less money.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.