BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

In fairness he's a Champions League winning striker. He's probably right to expect to be picked to play up front before Chris Samba.

I would have thought Sam would have explained the choice to him, but perhaps not.

On his day Benni is one of the best strikers in the league, but sadly for him and us, he can't produce his top form week in, week out and when he is off form, he does not offer the team anything.

In fairness he's a Champions League winning striker. He's probably right to expect to be picked to play up front before Chris Samba.

I would have thought Sam would have explained the choice to him, but perhaps not.

In football, you should only expect to be selected if you are playing well and putting a shift in for the team, then you have a genuine grief, last season, I dont think Benni did and he looked to be carrying too much weight.

Nothing wrong in what Benni said from that link. Just that he is open to anything...he did not say he wanted to leave but seems to be more that he wants more opportunities than last season.

If he can manage to turn up for pre-season training not too much overweight for a change then he might just have a chance of that becoming reality.

"Nobody can doubt my professionalism in the game" does however hint at high levels of self-delusion. ;)

On his day Benni is one of the best strikers in the league, but sadly for him and us, he can't produce his top form week in, week out and when he is off form, he does not offer the team anything.

To be fair to Benni the service to him last season was shocking, so it wasn;t all his fault!!!

Interesting set of Opta statistics on Sky Sports News just now -

Premier League strikers with more than 5 goals - conversion rate (ie goals / chances)

Tevez 11%

Rooney 14%

Adebayor 18%

Torres 19%

Anelka 21%

Berbatov 21%

D Bent 23%

Roberts 23%

Beattie 23%

McCarthy 28%

Owen 29%

Premier League strikers with more than 5 goals - conversion rate (ie goals / chances)

Tevez 11%

Rooney 14%

Adebayor 18%

Torres 19%

Anelka 21%

Berbatov 21%

D Bent 23%

Roberts 23%

Beattie 23%

McCarthy 28%

Owen 29%

So last season, McCarthy and Roberts put away more % wise of the miserably few chances created for them than most others did of the huge numbers created for them by their team?

McCarthy's stats are slightly deceptive due to the fact that he scored a fair few from the spot last season.

Yes, except they all count just the same and presumably pens are included. You've still got to score them.

Tevez 11%

Rooney 14%

Adebayor 18%

Torres 19%

Anelka 21%

Berbatov 21%

D Bent 23%

Roberts 23%

Beattie 23%

McCarthy 28%

Owen 29%

All this proves is the forward play last season was so poor.

The % proves that the two forwards compared favourably, surprising for Roberts as all anyone remembers are his misses of last season.

We need to create more which makes Sam seeing midfield as not a priority seem a bit odd

All this proves is the forward play last season was so poor.

The % proves that the two forwards compared favourably, surprising for Roberts as all anyone remembers are his misses of last season.

We need to create more which makes Sam seeing midfield as not a priority seem a bit odd

Yes, it does but he quite clearly sees the midfielders he's got as being capable enough if fit. The fact that we've been around Ewood a bit longer than the manager makes us more sceptical of that. WE know they can't stay fit and even when they do they are scarcely the best of the rest or even the best of the bottom half.

Yes, except they all count just the same and presumably pens are included. You've still got to score them.

Yeah, but I'd imagine the conversion rate for penalties to be considerably higher than in open play. I',m hardly knocking him, just saying that the stats are slight deceptive. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say.

Yeah, but I'd imagine the conversion rate for penalties to be considerably higher than in open play. I',m hardly knocking him, just saying that the stats are slight deceptive. I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say.

And I wasn't arguing - just pointing out that they all count as chances and are there to be scored or missed.

Not that I can remember, Just Jason and Benni.

didn't he mean strikers at other clubs?

Statistics eh ? :rolleyes:

Anyone on this messageboard could score 3 out of 4 penalties and make his percentage of chances scored look respectable .

The details aren't there . For example how many non penalty chances did each player get ? - Michael Owen might have the best statistics but if he only had 3 chances all season and scored once it doesn't mean that much compared to someone who scored 10 out of 30 chances . And if the former was a penalty it means even less ....

Just one question remains . Who would you rather have in your team - McCarthy on 28% or Torres on 19% ?

Michael Owen might have the best statistics but if he only had 3 chances all season and scored once it doesn't mean that much compared to someone who scored 10 out of 30 chances

Which is why the list is for players who have more than 5 goals.

Edited by LeChuck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.