BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

If Benni does that often enough then that'll be enough of a contribution from him, providing there are no more passengers in the team. Given the way our wide players in particular seem to work harder than average defensively for their positions, then I think we can accomodate Benni in the side, providing he is on form.

Besides I think Benni can/does offer a bit more than goals. His link up play, when he's not trying to be too fancy can be really impressive, and hanging on the shoulder of the last defender can cause them to think twice about committing that extra man forward. Not saying he offers loads more, but he's not a total passenger.

Are people on here saying that all Benni should do is score goals??

Because if I remember correctly isn't that the reason Derb's was moved on because strikers have to offer more than goals.

Derbs was moved on because he didn't score enough, even though it was his only job (plus the whole doesn't know where the corner flag thing is, and other rumored transgressions).

• 2 months later...

Surely he does not need that huge an engine to play as the attacking member of a 5 man midfield. It is not as he would have to be a box-to-box midfielder as N'Zonzi, Grella or Andrews will be there to shield him defensively. Certainly he should be able to be coming on as a sub and doing that job.

I can't believe we're comparing "engines" between David Dunn and Benni McCarthy!! If this was a drag race you just wouldn't want to choose either of them!!

Benni should be playing up front as one of a pair, because as things stand, he is our best striker. Dunn should be in central midfield as part of a 4. If he no longer has the "engine" to do that job without the added protection of two CMs behind him, then he should take a cameo role as a 30 minute 2nd half sub.

We watched the "Bring on the Clarets" DVD this evening, to start the build up to Sunday. What a pleasure it was to watch Souness' side pinging the ball around Ewood's slick pitch - a tough tackling team which could then play passing football, and flair football, in the best way.

I long to see that again on Sunday, and 5 more goals. From our current sqaud, Benni McCarthy needs to be involved to get near it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe we're comparing "engines" between David Dunn and Benni McCarthy!! If this was a drag race you just wouldn't want to choose either of them!!

I dunno on that one stick a packet of crisps on the finish line and I reckon we'd see one hell of a race!

Benni should be playing up front as one of a pair, because as things stand, he is our best striker. Dunn should be in central midfield as part of a 4. If he no longer has the "engine" to do that job without the added protection of two CMs behind him, then he should take a cameo role as a 30 minute 2nd half sub.

Dunn is easily our best player at the moment, and his performances are far better than anything McCarthy has produced for years, yet you'd reduce him to 30 minute cameos to include Benni? I don't follow the logic at all.

• Like 1

Dunn is easily our best player at the moment, and his performances are far better than anything McCarthy has produced for years, yet you'd reduce him to 30 minute cameos to include Benni? I don't follow the logic at all.

Benni and Di Santo up front with Dunn in middle of the park with N'zonzi, Bert & Diouf on the wings and the defence speaks for itself.

I think Benni and Di Santo could rip the dingle defence apart, then add the threat of Dunny running through.

Diouf 1st goal, Rovers win 3-1. :rover:

Dunn in the centre of a 4-4-2 would be totally different to the Dunn we're seeing now though. Teams who play 4-4-2 don't play with attacking midfielders in the centre, it's usually a holding player and a box-to-box player. Asking Dunn to do either would either result in him breaking down again or just playing poorly.

Dunn playing behind Di Santo is probably the one area of the team that is working at the moment, I don't see why people think we need to change it.

Edited by LeChuck
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Dunn in the centre of a 4-4-2 would be totally different to the Dunn we're seeing now though. Teams who play 4-4-2 don't play with attacking midfielders in the centre, it's usually a holding player and a box-to-box player. Asking Dunn to do either would either result in him breaking down again or just playing poorly.

Dunn playing behind Di Santo is probably the one area of the team that is working at the moment, I don't see why people think we need to change it.

It was just my opinion, I think my line up would be effective against the dingles. I do agree that the current formation works well but it wont work for long if we play it week in week out. Horses for courses and all that.

Werder Bremen played Diego as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 before he went to Juventus, with great success. Then again they used Frings as a right sided midfielder to help their midfield sitter with his defensive duties in harder away games (Champions League etc.), and then again Dunn isn't Diego...

Jonathan Pearce has done an article on the BBC about Benni and his future at international level after the depature of Santana:

Will Benni save SA?

Surely Benni will need games and will need to play well if he wants to feature for SA again. If Di Santo goes in January it could see Benni coming back into the team, can't see us having money to spend on a new striker. This change in the SA management might give him the incentive to get fit and play well for the side.

I find it really frustrating when we talk about Benni. He could and should be a Rovers Legend (Tugay, Friedel, Garner). He has undoubted ability, is a goalscorer but we just do not see enough of him.

Is he hungry enough!

For Christ sake, his country is hosting the World Cup next year and it doesn't look as though he will be involved in that!

Common Benni, prove us all wrong and pull your finger out pronto!

We watched the "Bring on the Clarets" DVD this evening, to start the build up to Sunday. What a pleasure it was to watch Souness' side pinging the ball around Ewood's slick pitch - a tough tackling team which could then play passing football, and flair football, in the best way.

I long to see that again on Sunday, and 5 more goals. From our current sqaud, Benni McCarthy needs to be involved to get near it.

Still missing Souness! Still slagging off our best player and leading goal-scorer! What a pleasure it was to watch that side

till Sourness sold our best players and wasted our money on the likes of Amorusso and Baby Ferguson and then walked out on us when we were in the poo. Ruins clubs and moves on that's our Graeme as Newcastle and Liverpool fans know all too well.

Why can't you put your prejudices aside for one moment and simply appreciate the wonderful job Dunn has done for us this season?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm afraid its time to retract my previous comments and get this boy back in the team.

I'm past caring how little work he does off the ball, for one reason:

1.) We are currently playing with 10 anyway IMO.

So lets get him on the pitch wandering round doing nothing instead of a certain other player who does similiar. Di Santo's doing well but on his own its no mean task especially with his experience, but him and Benni could definitly work.

Play the boy Sam, please we need goals.

I'm afraid its time to retract my previous comments and get this boy back in the team.

I'm past caring how little work he does off the ball, for one reason:

1.) We are currently playing with 10 anyway IMO.

So lets get him on the pitch wandering round doing nothing instead of a certain other player who does similiar. Di Santo's doing well but on his own its no mean task especially with his experience, but him and Benni could definitly work.

Play the boy Sam, please we need goals.

Quickest response in football ever

But we want both of them in the team, not one or the other.

News reports that Benni will go on loan to Pompey in the second half of this season.

Do we have a death wish?

It is quite clear that Big Sam has no intention in playing him so we may as well get him of the wage bill.

But I agree to lend a proven goal scorer to one of our relegation rivals does seem a bit silly.

Guest Kamy100

He needs to give Benni a chance, by that I mean a run of 5 games. He is our best goalscorer and therefore needs to play, as I have said before yes he can be lazy at times but there is no doubt that he will score goals given the chance, it would be great to see him given a go with Di Santo.

If the news report is true that he will go to Pompey on loan then we are most certainly on a death wish!

Edited by Kamy100

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.