BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Eeeeexactly. You can just see it, Gamst puts over a superb cross like the one for the goal last night, no one is on the end of it....

"Where the hell was Benni there?! He should be on the end of those!"

"He's back on the halfway line, knackered from all that headless chicken running about he does. Bloody useless, 'im."

Rooney works hard - Benni has scored more. Tackling back wont win us games, goals will. At the moment he's scoring bucket loads.

The press have Benni wanting to reunite with his old Prto manager at Chelsea.

Not a good start to the summer. If they want him it has to be 10m minimum. If Bent's (charlton) being touted at 12 Benni must be worth the same as him.

If anyone wants him then they can pay top money for him, oif not he stays.

The press have Benni wanting to reunite with his old Prto manager at Chelsea.

Not a good start to the summer. If they want him it has to be 10m minimum. If Bent's (charlton) being touted at 12 Benni must be worth the same as him.

If anyone wants him then they can pay top money for him, oif not he stays.

Pretty extensive quotes in the sun about him wanting to play CL football, i don't think its been made up. Hey ho, if he does really want to go and a CL club does want him then there is little we can do apart from make sure we get a good fee.

10m isn't out of the question. Keeping him would be better though, but we cannot do that against his will as the Ferguson fiasco showed.

Of course the press will be up to their old tricks in selling off our players. So on the basis it was going to happen anyway, this is as good a start as it gets from a Rovers' perspective-

A week ago Hughes in saying Benni (and all other players) not for sale, no contract release clauses and we'll repel all attempts did set a benchmark by saying Benni is better than another player being mooted as being worth £30m, here?

Chelsea spent £30m on another 30-ish striker last summer,

I guess this is a case of smoking out a bid from Chelsea (or Man U- they get a mention in The Sun) as early in the summer as possible setting a CL benchmark and price range.

Far better to get the business done now and the cash in the bank. If there is no business to be done with Chelsea or the Mancs then Rovers can get on with planning reasonably secure in anticipating Benni will still be at Ewood.

Having said that, if Drogba breaks a leg in late August, we are stuffed.

Edited by philipl

BBC just posted a direct quote of him saying it would be "fantastic" if we sold him to a club playing CL football.

I don't know if that's true or not, but regardless - I have no worries that he'll stay with us. Chelski or ManUn aren't crazy enough to buy a near 30-year old striker, no matter how many goals he scores. So he can pretty much forget about playing there and concentrate on us.

How quickly his tune changed...Suddenly he has no repaid us (which he probably in reality has) and he misses CL football...Another summer of HELL to endure. What are the odds on losing him and resigning Bellamy...Haha.

The problem is we have seen this happen too many times. Even if we sell him for 10 million, its not like we will use the money we had "already" set aside for transfers, and then this money but we will probably only use this and we will probably only buy 1 striker to replace him rather than STRENGTHEN the team by another one too, which would probably have been the case anyway (I mean we would have signed an extra striker) had Benni stayed.

Thats the disappointment of it all.

If there are no clauses then nothing short of 10 million pounds should be enough for him. Dammit. :(

Edited by Bobby G

ManUn aren't crazy enough to buy a near 30-year old striker, no matter how many goals he scores.

How old was Larsson (36ish) and he'd never scored in the Premiership but was signed for MU.

Still, don't think Benny will be anywhere other than Ewood next year.

IF these quotes is infact from Benny and not taken out of context then I expect him to leave in the summer.

Blackburn gave me my chance and, even though it was not a big transfer fee, I trust that I have already paid them back with my commitment and goals
If I end up being sold by Blackburn and they make a good profit, fantastic

So if a club in the Champions League from either Spain or England wants him, its nothing we can do about it. Don't think we will get that much for a 30 year old either, maybe around the £5m mark.

This will be another summer of hell.... :angry:

A bit of a kneejerk reaction, but I wonder how much longer Hughes will put up with losing his best players...

Edited by krislu

After the Bellamy debacle NOTHING surprises me anymore,can anything these players say be trusted?.One minute these players are swearing blind allegiance to the club and fans the next their agents are touting them to the 'big clubs'.....we have been here before.Those supposed quotes in the Sun make sombre reading I'm afraid.

I hope to god Benni stays but the constant speculation is frustrating at best. :angry:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

For a start I would like to go on record as saying I have never once criticised McCarthy this season and hope he stays at Ewood for a long time.

However I cannot understand what players are thinking when they do these kind of interviews. Could it not have waited until after the Reading game, given that it could cause unrest with the team?!

McCarthy seems like a bright bloke and knowing the trash that the Sun regularly spouts out I would really like to believe that somehow the comments were taken out of context, or manipulated in some way, but it seems unlikely.

I can fully understand why Benni wants Champions League football, and that he is unlikely to get that at Ewood, but why say that you are happy to stay if you are not? Better to keep quiet in my opinion.

If the Sun is causing trouble and perverting McCarthy's words then I hope he is speaking to his lawyers this morning.

Once again I reiterate my position, I am a big McCarthy fan, and would love to see Lucash get relegated tomorrow, but with regards to their respective comments to the press this season, who has really let the fans down? At least Neill stuck to his guns.

but why say that you are happy to stay if you are not? Better to keep quiet in my opinion.

And that is what we all find so annoying.The least all connected with Rovers deserve from these players who's careers we seem to be so adept at 'resurrecting' is a bit of respect and decency....its very hard to swallow personally.I really do feel for Mark Hughes, he deserves more loyalty.

The Sun article in full

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

From what ive read im now pretty sure he will go. Its just typical and we can't do anything about it. We can't have an unhappy player upfront for us next season if we block a move. What hapened to 'if Blackburn want me to stay then il stay'...of course we wan't him to stay. He obviously said that thinking we would wan't to cash in then realised were not a selling club when hughes said hes not for sale. He then did that interview in the sun.

Bellamy back would be nice but we can't rely on him scoring 20+ again...and if he gets injured were screwed. So we would need two big signings upfront.

Looking into my crystal ball....

We will sell McCarthy and Pedersen.

We will buy Bellamy, Mido and Harry Kewell.

Those signings and sales don't worry me too much but what does is that if this keeps happening Hughes will go. He is gonna jump at the chance ti manage one of the top 4 if and when they come knocking. It must be annoying to do all the dirty work, gamble on a player, get them playing well...then see them walk away.

lost respect for the guy here. absolutely no need for this to come out now, especially when only last week he said he was happy playing with robbo and that if blackburn want him to stay thats fine, hes 'just a player'.

forget the premiership, its the foreign champions league clubs sniffing around that could prove ultimately costly

will be interesting to see what noises will be coming from the club about this in the coming days and wether or not sparky will have benni into his office to get his side of the story. however, the fact that he has been quoted as saying things is extremely dissapointing and if indeed he wants out of the club in the summer, would be a body blow!!

So what? If any of the 4 champions league clubs want our players then they have the power to get them.

Any player under contract though, with the new tv deal, will cost them a fortune. If we don't get at least £10m for Benni, then why would Hughes sell him? (assuming, maybe stupid, no release clause)

Who's going to buy him for that much? Chelsea? Just let a bidding war commence then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.