BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pace

I think it is overrated, unless you have someone like Henry who is quick with feet and mind then it can be wasted, Luque, Gronkjaer as examples.

I would much rather a ball player who can put players through.

Although he has lost all his pace, is lazy and fat, Ronaldo can still turn a defender inside out when he has the ball at his feet.

Zidane wasn't quick either but left defenders standing still at the age of 34.

The issue this season compared with last is that when we are playing well we zip the ball around. In contrast, our passing has been more ponderous this time round.

Interesting to read that the Reserves last night passed the ball better than the first team has been doing.

Of course it could be that our Premiership opponents have simply worked us out but we have two strikers relatively unused to the Premiership game. I get the feeling that M and N haven't yet sussed out where to make the space or time their runs and as a result there are few options for midfield players to pass forwards making everything look much more static. This could be evidenced by our goal scoring rates. In the Prem, we are averaging under a goal a game whereas in the UEFA we are averaging over 2 goals a game and we haven't been playing FC Numpty teams in the UEFA either.

Of course Bellamy was such a threat last season that oppositions tended

to deploy two men against him wherever he was on the park which opened up the opportunities for everybody else. In fairness to Benni, he has hurt teams when he has turned his man on a number of occasions but the opposition don't have to cover explosive runs from deep in the way they had to with Bellars.

Notwithstanding Bellamy's pace, I wouldn't be surprised if man for man the current squad isn't quicker overall than last year's- we're just not playing at the same tempo.

• 3 weeks later...

We clearly lack pace and it's becoming more and more evident with each game that passes. Harry Redknapp was speaking a day or two ago and said that come January he's after 'pacey' players. Does anybody have suggestions on who we could possibly go for that fits the bill (price/availability etc)? I don't believe for one second that Hughes himself doesn't think that we lost our major weapon in Bellamy's pace and I would think and hope that he tries to rectify our lack of it come January. But as Redknapp and others will be snifing about it wont be easy.

Derbyshire and Peter would add pace to the team. Certainly, Peter deserves a start soon, with Gamst flagging. Derbs will probably have to wait but if Nonda continues with poor performances, he may get his chance. Clearly, Hughes doesn't want to let Derbyshire go out on loan.

We should sign Garath Hale on a free. I know he is old but he has got pace on his side :ph34r:

Could the duo be any worse than Nonda or Gamst though :D ?!

You know what Im saying though-a half decent footballer to compliment the pace would be preferable.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Completely agree Rover6. Our ability to turn defence into attack makes us easily one of the least effective teams in the league right now and this is mainly due to our distinct lack of pace.

Yeah but, I reckon our ability to turn attack into defence is unrivalled!

I've always considered pacy players a bit of a luxury, .

Nonsense.

Pace is a basic requirement of a top-class footballer; there are very few who do not have pace who would survive in the modern game.

The problem for Rovers is not only a lack of exceptional pace but players who are downright slow.

Peter has hardly impressed much in his short spells on the pitch but it must be obvious to Hughes that Gamst needs a rest. Certainly by bringing him off at half time he appears to have acknowledged this.

Gamst is in such a poor vein of form that Peter simply cannot do any worse. Therefore there is no reason not to give him a few games. Let Gamst have a bit of time to relax, poor lad looks shattered, he couldn't even get out the way of a pint of beer from five yards away!

Though I agree we do need more pace in the team - it is mainly up front that we are lacking.

Got to agree there; motivation (fight and chase), intelligence (so many off-sides) and composure (some big fluffs in front of goal) seem to be the pre-requisites that our front two lack at present. The skill of Benni Mc. is unquestionable but in a league where power and pace rule he's not going to get 20+ goals a season.

The pace thing certainly is worrying.

Man Utd are all about pace - Ronaldo and Giggs on the wings, Rooney and Saha up top. It's probably the reason Van Nistelrooy was deemed surpluss to requirements.

Arsenal are all about pace, that seems to be the key thing Wenger looks for in his attacking signings (except Adebayor).

The Chelsea side of the last two seasons were all about Pace in wide areas, although that seems to have been replaced with brute force in the midfield, but we don't have that either. Even so, Drogba and Shevchenko are no slouches.

As Bobby G said, in a league where pace and power are the two features of the league, it's strange that very few of our players possess either of these qualities.

Exiled - Relegation also costs money.

We need to invest in some pace now - both up front but more importantly at the back.

Yes - we have been hit heavily by injuries - but i do believe we need a couple of additions to the squad come january if we are to avoid a nailbitng 2007.

Rovers have suffered from too many matches - the revised format of UEFA Cup not helping us. The players look tired and what with our injury situation - we are struggling.

Hopefully MH will address the issue in January. If he does then i am confident we will ride the storm.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.