Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Garner

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest shoppybrfc

Reading the Carlisle boards, he apparently likes to dive cheat alot though, the fans admit hes good a player but they dont seem to have warned to him, sounds a jnr Bellamy.

• 6 months later...
One of the reasons why Hughes was spot on in selling Garner

Now, I know that he's only young and he can improve both technically and disciplinary-wise, I just think that all the reports about Garner's attitude were unimpressive - and this just supports those reports.

The thing about him that puzzles me is how Hughes could let such a talent leave but hangs onto the likes of Gally year after year.

He might make it and he might not, what I would say about him is, that he's like a little terrior, prepared to run and battle away all night. He gets in where the boots fly and is prepared to give and take. If I was to compare him to anyone I would say Dickov with a bit more skill.If he is going to progress he needs to build up his body strength as he gets easily knocked off the ball by a big centre half. However to his credit, he quickly gets back on his feet without any amature dramatics and gets stuck in.

Not that bad an assessment :rolleyes:

On Joe Garner - my mate at work is a Carlisle fan and he was talking about Garner being a bit dirty when he was on loan last year. Having never seen him play I couldn't comment, but my mate says he always gets into scraps with the opposition centre-halves. Maybe like Dickov then, which is not neccessarily a critism (where's the spell checker when you need it!)

I think that Gally is one of the most naturally talented footballers at Rovers, his finishing is as good as anyone and he has been creative when brought on in the late stages of games. The pity is that when we play 4-4-2 its difficult to fit a flair player into the midfield. Ironically, since he went to Preston, we've played with the new formation which he would fit into as the man behind the front two.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that Leeds won again at the weekend. 1 win away from automatic promotion spot incredible. The 15 pt deduction seems to have done them a favour !!!

In any case was looking at the fixtures and who should they play Sat but Carlisle away. Now that will be messy

• 1 month later...
Anyone think we've made a mistake with this one? Am I right in thinking he's a PNE fan though?

There were, as far as I could tell several reasons for letting Garner go:

(a) He wanted immediate involvement in first team football and Hughes couldn't offer him that.

(B.) His attitude was not very positive (alledgedly)

©. His temperament was suspect. He was involved in a few 'confrontations' in Rovers pre-season that could've seen him sent off and he has continued in that vein with Carlisle. Their manager recently publicly admonished Garner's yellow-card count.

(d) He did not recapture his U18 form for the reserves. And whilst he has scored prolifically for Carlisle, many of his goals have been tap-ins. So, I don't think the management considered him a great talent.

(e) Carlisle were prepared to break their transfer record for him.

All in all, I think Hughes made the right decision. No-one would be regretting his departure if the club was producing a fair amount of talent. Whilst some ex-Rovers of several years (Walters, Burgess, Richards) have resurfaced in the Championship, most of released junior (no or fleeting senior appearances) players sink without trace - which makes Garner something of a rarity.

However, whether we should have replaced Garner with Rigters is a different matter. :unsure:

Edited by rover6

How about

a) He wasn't good enough for Premiership football.

That's a little simplistic. I'm sure that had Garner turned down a outbound move and declared his desire to be a Rovers player, Hughes would've been more than happy to see if he can develop in the reserves and become, at least, a squad player.

Just look at how Hughes was keen to keep Gally and McEveley. I don't think you'd say either of those was, to put it into simplistic terms, 'good enough' for the Prem, but with young players there's the hope that they may improve with games and experience. And even if they don't hit the heights, they may become useful squad players who do a job cost-efficiently and then, perhaps, move on for an inflated fee.

Put it this way, I doubt Hughes ordered Garner's agent to find him a new club.

Edited by rover6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.