BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anyone Miss The Old Ewood ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Agyblue but your answer is making no sense to me.

Aggyblue is making perfect sense.

I was also surprised that you seem to have missed the point and failed to realise that people are not necessarily saying that the old ground was better, but merely being nostalgic. No harm in that is there.

Lighten up a bit.

When people fondly talk about the old BBE with a sparkle in their eye, they're not talking about the actual construction are they? I thought you would have been intelligent enough to suss that out.

Congratulations Aggy! You are the only one apparently that has spotted the real situation as far as I am concerned. I don't yearn for the restoration of the old ground as it was from a physical point of view. I fully appreciate the new Ewood's modern facilities and comforts (except perhaps the hugely excessive noise of the tannoy system). No, for me the problem with the new ground is difficult to define precisely; lack of atmosphere comes closest but does not fully cover it. I will attempt to talk it through to see if I can actually put a finger on it.

Just going back in time for sake of comparison. I would awake on a Saturday morning and as soon as I realised it was "Rovers Day" a fantastic feeling of anticipation would come over me and would gradually increase in intensity as the time to leave for Ewood drew nearer. Then all the way to the ground the sense of excitement and anticipation, rather like a child's anticipation of Christmas takes over, until eventually you are in through the turnstile and installed in your favourite place on the BBE or Riverside whatever. There you could confidentally expect to find a selection of people who you regularly met and could talk over the coming match prospects and the team etc. Also there would be (pre-1970's) a fair smattering of the opposition fans to talk to as well and it was good to hear their views on the coming match; all very good natured in those days.

Then of course the match itself and the constant exchange of views and comments on what you saw on the pitch, including getting very excited or angry even and having an exchange of views with the opposition fans about this as well, but all without any malice or aggro on either side.

Now looking at the same thing when I go to Ewood these days. There is still the same sense of anticipation and pleasure at the prospect. Then as I walk down to the ground and arrive down at Ewood there is the same excitement rising as you present your ticket to the electronic gates and pass through. Then you have the climb up two or three flights of stairs to get to the JW upper concourse; still OK. You get on to the concourse and look around; lot's of people hanging around watching screens and drinking out of plastic "glasses". Not my scene so continue to my seat, and THIS is where it all goes flat for me. I arrive in my seat usually on the front row somewhere and sit down. What do I find? Nobody to talk to! The next nearest person is about 35 seats away in any direction. Never mind it will fill up there is still 25 mins to kick-off. Get's to 5 mins before kick-off teams are coming out. Now I cant see what is happening on the pitch for people pushing past me all the time as they make for their own seats. This continues until the match has kicked-off, and then there is still no exchange of conversation because you don't know anybody at all. The whole scene from there on becomes much more clinical as you sit there in your own little space and watch the match with nothing but your own private thoughts about it. Eventually it is full-time and off you all go home again with no exchange of views, NOTHING!

Edited by Fife Rover

I'd argue that some the middle of the Riverside where I stood could be quite vocal, and without doubt nuts, the Forest fans would not come in after they had cleared the BBE. Loved the BBE in my early teen years but loved the Riverside late teens

Talking of 'taking' the BBE USABlue, he's one of the Chelsea Headhunters doing what they did best circa 80/81.Glad to say one of the matchday experiences not missed today.

I was at this match with my late father......shyte scared was an understatement!!! :o

Anyone in the pic btw?

IPB Image

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Excellent photo. If it is the same game I am thinking of it was in 1982.

There were many Chelsea fans seated in the Nuttall St that day and when we scored our third goal towards the end of the game (we won 3-0), they literally all got up and left the ground en masse, only thing is they didn't go far and came back in via the open gates at the Blackburn End. As you can see from the picture there was mayhem.

It's not just an Ewood "thing," it's a society "thing."

If I get the hosepipe out and wash my car in front of my house I will I be stopped by some old bloke or dear and have a chat with them.

It's the same when I get the hedge clippers out.

Younger people just walk past.

It's not Ewood that has changed, it's society, we don't talk to each other anymore.

We don't talk to strangers, we no longer say "Good morning" to people on the streets where we live.

We no longer chat to "strangers" sat next to us at Ewood.

Enormous "Group hug?"

Edited by colin

Now looking at the same thing when I go to Ewood these days. There is still the same sense of anticipation and pleasure at the prospect. Then as I walk down to the ground and arrive down at Ewood there is the same excitement rising as you present your ticket to the electronic gates and pass through. Then you have the climb up two or three flights of stairs to get to the JW upper concourse; still OK. You get on to the concourse and look around; lot's of people hanging around watching screens and drinking out of plastic "glasses". Not my scene so continue to my seat, and THIS is where it all goes flat for me. I arrive in my seat usually on the front row somewhere and sit down. What do I find? Nobody to talk to! The next nearest person is about 35 seats away in any direction. Never mind it will fill up there is still 25 mins to kick-off. Get's to 5 mins before kick-off teams are coming out. Now I cant see what is happening on the pitch for people pushing past me all the time as they make for their own seats. This continues until the match has kicked-off, and then there is still no exchange of conversation because you don't know anybody at all.

Yes but you are now a part time supporter. If you had a st, sat in the same place and went to every home game like you used to you'de no doubt get to know people. We have a right old conflab around me before and during the match and at HT down at the front of the Riverside.

IPB Image

And there endeth all debate! It looks like a piggin PoW camp not a football ground.

Edited by thenodrog

Talking of 'taking' the BBE USABlue, he's one of the Chelsea Headhunters doing what they did best circa 80/81.Glad to say one of the matchday experiences not missed today.

I was at this match with my late father......shyte scared was an understatement!!! :o

Anyone in the pic btw?

IPB Image

Another embarrasing photo from the ever reliable Simon.

I'm on that pic together with half a dozen of my mates.

That's me with my back to the camera just climbing down into the riverside, half way down the fence.

I got covered in black tar that was smeared over the top of the wall. My undies got stained too - I always was a coward.

Didn't realise how much I missed the place till I read this thread. :(

4-2 vs Derby

3-1 vs Newcastle

5-4 vs Crystal Palace

Emotional stuff, great songs - "you must have come in a taxi" - the irony :huh:

Remember a Wolves game - the away fans started singing "lets all have a disco" to which which most of the rovers end responded with "what the f***s a deesco?" in thick brummy accents - quality entertainment.

Unfortunately I think we lost that game in the last minute - some keeper on trial dropped the ball in the back of the net from a thirty yard hopeful punt - anyone remember his name? Virtual pint for the correct answer...

If I get the hosepipe out and wash my car in front of my house I will I be stopped by some old bloke or dear and have a chat with them.

It's the same when I get the hedge clippers out.

Younger people just walk past.

It's not Ewood that has changed, it's society, we don't talk to each other anymore.

We don't talk to strangers, we no longer say "Good morning" to people on the streets where we live.

We no longer chat to "strangers" sat next to us at Ewood.

Enormous "Group hug?"

Hey! that could be it Colin. You might just have hit the nail on the head there.

When I moved up to Scotland in 1979 things were still ok on the matieness scene around Blackburn.

And where we live in Scotland absolutely everybody you meet just walking down the street either says "good morning" or "hello" or maybe just nods in your direction, and of course you do the same with all those you meet. It is the "done thing" round these parts. Now you come to mention it I HAVE noticed the diffference when we have been down to East Lancs in recent times. The wife and I have actually remarked on the change in "atmosphere"

and as you say it is definitely the under 50's that seem to just rush about with heads down and sit silent in the buses etc. Why? what has changed with the once very friendly Lancashire folk? :unsure:

Yes but you are now a part time supporter. If you had a st, sat in the same place and went to every home game like you used to you'de no doubt get to know people. We have a right old conflab around me before and during the match and at HT down at the front of the Riverside.

And there endeth all debate! It looks like a piggin PoW camp not a football ground.

Some truth in that Theno! If you treat people like animals they will behave like animals. <_<

Edited by Fife Rover

It's an urban thing. Go into the countryside for a walk and people will say hello and ask how you are doing as you pass them. The same people wouldn't so much as acknowledge you if you walked past them in the city in which they live...people are scared of being in some public places and it isn't about cowardice but more how we have been conditioned. The best example is probably on the London Underground where people will studiously stare at the floor or furiously read a paper just to make sure that whatever else happens they don't make eye contact with anyone else.

what has changed with the once very friendly Lancashire folk? :unsure:

It's not a Lancashire thing...Go to any large town or city in Scotland and it will be much the same as it would be in the rest of such places anywhere in the UK. I'm not convinced it was ever THAT much different in the past. People may well have talked more but there was certainly never a time when people in a large urban area would acknowledge every single stranger of the hundreds who would walk past them each hour.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

It's an urban thing. Go into the countryside for a walk and people will say hello and ask how you are doing as you pass them. The same people wouldn't so much as acknowledge you if you walked past them in the city in which they live...people are scared of being in some public places and it isn't about cowardice but more how we have been conditioned. The best example is probably on the London Underground where people will studiously stare at the floor or furiously read a paper just to make sure that whatever else happens they don't make eye contact with anyone else.

It's not a Lancashire thing...Go to any large town or city in Scotland and it will be much the same as it would be in the rest of such places anywhere in the UK. I'm not convinced it was ever THAT much different in the past. People may well have talked more but there was certainly never a time when people in a large urban area would acknowledge every single stranger of the hundreds who would walk past them each hour.

Yes I can see what you mean too FLB. Where we live now is just a large but modern village. It is also beautifully designed and laid out with very large open park like areas all over in amongst the housing. There are also large stretches of natural forest and cliff top walks in amongst the housing areas, and the Fife coastal path runs right through and around the bay. It makes you feel good just to be here.

Anyone in the pic btw?

IPB Image

I watched these events from the Riverside. My mate Neil (6' 4") was on the BBE and hid behind an old bloke, pretending to be his grandson and got away with it!

:brfc:B)

I think that`s true aswell. I`ve lived in my house for 13yrs now & can honestly say i know only 4 neighbours (out of a terrace of 20-25 houses) infact the guy who moved in next door a couple of years ago has never even attempted to say 'hello' or give a nod of acknowledgement.

Cletus,

It seems like a good time to send your shy neighbour a Chrimbo card and say "hello."

You never know, he might just turn out to be a hot water engineer!

Nice talking with you

All the best. have a good Christmas

Colin

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.