BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anyone Miss The Old Ewood ?

I remember the "home" end was behind the Darwen End goal and the BBE was for away fans. Liverpool used to fill it when they came. At half-time we could walk round via the Riverside to the Blackburn End until they built the wall at the corner. However I have to say that the new ground is great when full( not seen very often I know).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is wistful nostalgia for losers? Not all change is for the best, unless you choose to believe those who make a living out of it...

Do you really enjoy it more these days, Theno? Would you have preferred to have missed out on your old Darwen End supporting experiences and only ever have watched Rovers at today's Ewood Park?

Quite agree though, Alexandra Meadows or Leamington would probably have be even better than the old Ewood! ;)

Do you really enjoy it more these days, Theno? Would you have preferred to have missed out on your old Darwen End supporting experiences and only ever have watched Rovers at today's Ewood Park?

Look at it this way BEB, having known both it does allow me to provide informed comment and I stand by what I said.

I dated Bill Bancrofts daughter. Or so I was told, I stood her up outside the Blackburn Mecca after only a few dates. I was crushed when I was told the Bancroft name was not mere coincidence, what could have been eh.

Hee hee! Could have been far worse USA - could have been one of the Walker daughters! :)

What tosh! Do I miss the old ground? NO. It was fast becoming an embarrassment. Every year the capacity was being whittled down and we had no bunce to correct the situation.

Yes it had a feeling as a child waiting for KO on the Darren End, zigga zagga, rattles, Aye Aye Yiy aye Else is better than Yashin, changing ends on't cinder track. But like anything else it had gone well past it's sell by date and I am hugely proud of the 3 rebuilt sides of Ewood now. The quality of work and the finishing touches ooze quality and show up the concrete crap of the likes of Pride Park, Deepdale, t'Turf and the Breezeblock no end.

I remember Everton coming on our first season up chanting '###### ground' at us. How nice to see that we now make Goodison look like a shabby air raid shelter.

Everything comes to an end and old Ewood's time had long passed. I'll go along with the suggestion of making the BBurn End lower terracing again but feeling nostalgia for anything else is for losers.

btw I'd wager Leamington Road wit back yard door oe'r puddle was prob best of all

Well you can scoff at the old times as much as you like Theno, but we who have lived them know where the greater sense of values lay. It was back then in spite of all its lack of modern "comforts" and "improvements" at least people had a proper sense of morality and true values which is more than can be claimed by a very large number of people today. People who worship money over happiness, and are incapable of tell ing the difference. And people who deride others as "losers" just because they don't share their own warped sense of values.

Edited by Fife Rover

Some great memories chaps, and yes the present ground is fantastic but no, it does not have the atmosphere of the old ground.

My best memories of the old Ewood were actually playing on the hallowed turf in schoolboy finals. We won them both too and received the cup on both occasions from Ronnie Clayton. Sad to think my playing career peaked at the age of 11.

Look at it this way BEB, having known both it does allow me to provide informed comment and I stand by what I said.

Ah...a thinly veiled 'I'm older than you so know better ' argument. It's a classic! The only way you can, maybe, get the upper hand in this type of argument is if you're dead.

You're still entitled to your opinion, of course, regardless of whether you're a young whipper-snapper or an old fart :)

I saw my first game in '73 and my Dad used to leave me on the Enclosure wall at 1 o'clock and go for a pint under the Nuttall Street Stand! The old Ewood is part of my growing up and I suspect the same goes for many others on this mb. I was a Riversider by heart but remember Rovers fans having the Darwen End in the late 80's which was great as I'd always wanted us to have that huge cavernous terrace with it's great accoustics. Think we did it justice!

Ah...a thinly veiled 'I'm older than you so know better ' argument. It's a classic! The only way you can, maybe, get the upper hand in this type of argument is if you're dead.

You're still entitled to your opinion, of course, regardless of whether you're a young whipper-snapper or an old fart :)

Did you know the Chinese venerate the wisdom of their old? There is much to validate such an opinion and you should 'think on'. Unfortunately (and thankfully) Fife and Sulkings have just trumped me! :rolleyes:

btw Consider this you nostalgia peddlers ......... anybody going tomorrow night must surely feel a sense of pride in our ground when the Frogs turn up. Just consider the sense of shame / embarassment we would suffer if we still were in the old Ewood?

Edited by thenodrog

What tosh! Do I miss the old ground? NO. It was fast becoming an embarrassment. Every year the capacity was being whittled down and we had no bunce to correct the situation.

Yes it had a feeling as a child waiting for KO on the Darren End, zigga zagga, rattles, Aye Aye Yiy aye Else is better than Yashin, changing ends on't cinder track. But like anything else it had gone well past it's sell by date and I am hugely proud of the 3 rebuilt sides of Ewood now. The quality of work and the finishing touches ooze quality and show up the concrete crap of the likes of Pride Park, Deepdale, t'Turf and the Breezeblock no end.

I remember Everton coming on our first season up chanting '###### ground' at us. How nice to see that we now make Goodison look like a shabby air raid shelter.

Everything comes to an end and old Ewood's time had long passed. I'll go along with the suggestion of making the BBurn End lower terracing again but feeling nostalgia for anything else is for losers.

btw I'd wager Leamington Road wit back yard door oe'r puddle was prob best of all

Agree totally,the old Blackburn end was a dreadfully designed lump of concrete,the riverside and Darwen end early 1950s second division terraces.

To all the 20 year olds reading this topic,do not believe any of the sentimental dross being posted.

The new Ewood is fine we just have to fill those useless corners in.

Having travelled recently to Barnet, Grimsby and Wycombe, I can say anyone wanting to go back is COMPLETELY MAD!!!

You REALLY don't want to be going back to dross like that- standing, tiny crowds and facilities to make a builder wince!!! (Although to be fair at Barnet I was in the Director's box which was ok)

I'm one of the "new school" of fans. I like people to sit down and shut up so that I can concentrate on the game. Pointless droning on about Burnley just irritates. Now I'm not saying that a few good tunes before kick-off or at selected moments wouldn't be welcome, but we don't have any of them!

Having travelled recently to Barnet, Grimsby and Wycombe, I can say anyone wanting to go back is COMPLETELY MAD!!!

You REALLY don't want to be going back to dross like that- standing, tiny crowds and facilities to make a builder wince!!! (Although to be fair at Barnet I was in the Director's box which was ok)

I'm one of the "new school" of fans. I like people to sit down and shut up so that I can concentrate on the game. Pointless droning on about Burnley just irritates. Now I'm not saying that a few good tunes before kick-off or at selected moments wouldn't be welcome, but we don't have any of them!

No singing are you having laugh, football would be boring, there is nothing better then a sing a song on a cold winter evening

Thanks for that Cletus,happy memories, apart from the lake that used to form at Riverside ,Blackburn End exit,it took ages to exit the ground or you waded through!!

I do not miss the old ground,only regret not buying old seats when being sold off

No singing at football IPB Image

I would hate that myself, that one of reasons to go football

I'll second my comment that too many 'JANS' now frequent the BBE!.

anybody going tomorrow night must surely feel a sense of pride in our ground when the Frogs turn up. Just consider the sense of shame / embarassment we would suffer if we still were in the old Ewood?

When people fondly talk about the old BBE with a sparkle in their eye, they're not talking about the actual construction are they? I thought you would have been intelligent enough to suss that out.

The bleak midwinter and sh1te form are encouraging us to dig out the rose tinted specs.

This is the difference for me though - the old Ewood could generate a crackin' atmosphere for a night match, with a gate of less than 10,000 - its nigh on impossible at the new Ewood with double that crowd.

:brfc:B)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.