SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So.....

.. if we do qualify for Intertoto does that mean some games (i.e. the pre season ones) will be on at the weekend instead of mid week? Makes a lot of difference when you're going to be a bit short on holiday.

5 Bolton 36 -3 55

6 Everton 36 13 54

7 Portsmouth 36 6 53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 Tottenham 35 0 53

9 Reading 35 6 51

10 Blackburn 35 -4 47

11 Aston Villa 36 -1 46

12 Newcastle 35 -6 42

The relevant fixtures remaining are:

Reading v Newcastle

Villa v Sheffield U

Everton v Pompey

W Ham v Bolton

Newcastle v Rovers

Reading v Watford

Charlton v Spurs

Spurs v Rovers

Rovers v Reading

Bolton v Villa

Chelsea v Everton

Pompey v Arsenal

Spurs v City

Watford v Newcastle

I have to say the likelihood of Everton, Bolton and Spurs squeezing Pompey and Reading out of 5th, 6th and 7th looks remote looking at those fixtures. If Reading beat Newcastle this week-end, they will be in the driving seat for a top 7 place.

Our last three games are a tough ask to keep ahead of Villa and Newcastle even if Everton, Bolton and Spurs make the top 7.

If we do make the Intertoto, I guess there will be no pre-season tour or perhaps just a short early jaunt. The overseas trips will come with the Intertoto visit to Poland and if we survive, a UEFA qualifier then if we survive, the UEFA first round proper when the EPL season has started before the Group games.

Actually I'd say Spurs are in a better position than Reading. If Reading win this weekend then they'll be one point ahead of Spurs, who have a game in hand. They're also odds on to beat Charlton and Man City, and most neutrals would have them odds on to beat us at the Lane. So, Reading and Portsmouth haven't applied for Intertoto? That's excellent...conceivably, we only need to keep ourselves clear of the teams threatening to catch us from below in order to make it into the Intertoto.

I am completely confused by all this intertoto talk.

I am correct in saying providing Everton, Bolton and Spurs finish somwhere between 5th and 7th and we finish above Newcastle and M'boro then we will be intertoto-ing ourselves next season?

I am completely confused by all this intertoto talk.

I am correct in saying providing Everton, Bolton and Spurs finish somwhere between 5th and 7th and we finish above Newcastle and M'boro then we will be intertoto-ing ourselves next season?

That's how I understand it yes

Apart from a jolly for the traveling fans and the Rovers name being advertised around Europe, what financial benifit is there to Rovers playing in europe. Given that the club let supporters in free, or at reduced cost, for a number of the games this season.

Apart from a jolly for the traveling fans and the Rovers name being advertised around Europe, what financial benifit is there to Rovers playing in europe. Given that the club let supporters in free, or at reduced cost, for a number of the games this season.

Silly money from German tv for moving a kick-off time.

A little money from Eurosport or a little bit more from ITV3/Ch5 in the early rounds. If we were to progress, there'd be some more cash if you make it to ITV1.

But it's not all about money.

Possibly worth bringing this back up to the top.

The english teams who have applied to take part in the Intertoto cup are: Rovers, Bolton, Everton, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Tottenham.

It looks as though Bolton, Everton and Tottenham will automatically qualify through the league therefore all we need to do is finish above Fulham, Boro and Newcastle. We have two games in hand over Newcastle and we are only one point behind them. We are one point above Boro with a game in hand and Fulham are in a relegation scrap.

You need to finish in the top eleven to enter therefore if Reading and Pompy finish 8/9 then 10th would be enough.

YES. Aston Villa and Portsmouth have not applied. As long as 5th till 7th includes Spurs, Bolton and Everton and we finish ahead of Newcastle its ours.

I might have misunderstood but this could mean that we'd be better off loosing to tottingham than beating them.

Right now the league looks like this:

7 Portsmouth - 53 pts

--------------------------- UEFA Cut-off

8 Tottingham - 53 pts

9 Reading - 51 pts

10 Rovers - 47 pts

If its still like this (but prob w. different points) when we play spuds. If they win they'd go above Pompey into a UEFA cup spot. Pompey would drop to 8th, making us the highest-placed Intertoto applicants outside the UEFA cup places. If we beat spurs they'd still be the highest placed intertoto team. Hmm - seriously goes against the grain not to try to whip Spurs, but if we did loose/draw down there it might actually work-out quite well for us.

It ain't all about money, its about glory and prestige. Playing in Europe on a regular basis is massive for a club like ours and we should be proud to be in the UEFA Cup. Lets face it we aren't getting into the CL so the UEFA is the next best thing and well worth us getting there.

On saying that I would think that we did make big money out of Euroipe this year, particularly the German TV money and it also a massive boost when it comes to keeping and signing players because they want to play in Europe.

Don't be such a missery guts!

If we're talking intertoto what's the preferred result tonight then?

We obviously don't want Reading to win as we need them out the top 7. This is a definate no no.

However, if Newcastle win they move to within 2 points of us meaning that if they beat us on Saturday they move above us.

If it's a draw Reading then stay were they are in 9th losing their game in hand, yet Newcastle are still 4 behind and can't overtake us on Saturday even if they beat us.

Does this mean draw is the preferred result for us?

It ain't all about money, its about glory and prestige. Playing in Europe on a regular basis is massive for a club like ours and we should be proud to be in the UEFA Cup. Lets face it we aren't getting into the CL so the UEFA is the next best thing and well worth us getting there.

On saying that I would think that we did make big money out of Euroipe this year, particularly the German TV money and it also a massive boost when it comes to keeping and signing players because they want to play in Europe.

Don't be such a missery guts!

Excuse me, read my post again QUOTE(Alan75 @ Apr 29 2007, 08:15 )

Where did I knock qualification or entry into eurpoean competitions. The question was. what financial benifit is there to Rovers playing in europe

Remaining Fixtures:-

BOLTON - West ham away , Aston Villa home

EVERTON - Portsmouth home , Chelski away

PORTSMOUTH - Everton away , Arsenal Home

TOTTINGHAM - Charlton away , Rovers home , Man City home

READING - Newcastle home , Watford home , Rovers away

ROVERS - Newcastle away , Tottingham away , Reading home

NEWCASTLE - Reading away , Rovers home , Watford away

I think two key games in "Operation sneak into Europe via the Intertoto back door" will be:-

Everton V Portsmouth - 5th May - Really need an Everton win, especially as they are away at Chelski the week after.

Rovers V Reading - 13th May - Possibly a game only a win will do for both of us.

Remaining Fixtures:-

BOLTON - West ham away , Aston Villa home

EVERTON - Portsmouth home , Chelski away

PORTSMOUTH - Everton away , Arsenal Home

TOTTINGHAM - Charlton away , Rovers home , Man City home

READING - Newcastle home , Watford home , Rovers away

ROVERS - Newcastle away , Tottingham away , Reading home

NEWCASTLE - Reading away , Rovers home , Watford away

I think two key games in "Operation sneak into Europe via the Intertoto back door" will be:-

Everton V Portsmouth - 5th May - Really need an Everton win, especially as they are away at Chelski the week after.

Rovers V Reading - 13th May - Possibly a game only a win will do for both of us.

We really could do with a draw tonight against reading and Newcastle.

We really could do with a draw tonight against reading and Newcastle.

Well, so far so good, 0-0 at half time.

Although on the evidence of the first half Reading look like they're already on the beach, awful, and Newcastle look surprisingly good.

Michael Owen also appears in razor sharp form given the length of his lay off.

Well, so far so good, 0-0 at half time.

Although on the evidence of the first half Reading look like they're already on the beach, awful, and Newcastle look surprisingly good.

Michael Owen also appears in razor sharp form given the length of his lay off.

Newcastle's pace really worries me about Saturdays game. Owen, Martins, Dyer, Milner all have pace to burn.

I also have a tenner on 0-0 at 10/1 so it will be extra special if it ends up like this however the result for Rovers will always be better than money.

Archived