BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leeds Utd 2001

I was talking to a mate of mine about the team that Leeds had in the semi finals of CL 2001 and I can remember everyone at the time talking of Leeds being able to compete in the coming years with Arse and Manc because of the mix of quality youngsters and experience they had.

This was the said that played Valencia in the semi's

Leeds United: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Ferdinand, Matteo, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, McPhail, Wilcox, Bakke, Burns.

Some others that aren't there were Seth Johnson, Duberry, Radebe, R Keane, Bridges, Huckerby and Fowler(01/02?)

Following on from other recent thread about players never realising their potential, may I now add the entire 2001 Leeds Utd team?

None of those players has actually got better then where they were in 2001 and most have got worse

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were nowhere near as good as the LUFC circa 1971! Now they just could play a bit.

Can anyone find the clip of them running the clock down by passing it about 35 times against Soton without a break when they were playing keep ups and flicks etc. Superb stuff.

The Aussie duo, Kewell and Viduka, were arguably playing the best football of their careers. They were both amazing players and imo made the others look better than they were. It is a bit of a shame that they lost their way because they were exciting to watch.

Out of that lot, I think only Ferdinand, Robinson (arguably) and Dacourt (not sure but he's playing regular in Serie A, isn't he) have gone on to fulfill their promise. Woodgate may follow suit.

A team today with Robinson, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Kewell, Keane, Smith, and Viduka would still expect to do well.

Some of their careers have nosedived though it's true. Mills, Matteo, Bowyer, Johnson, Huckerby and Fowler have all been poor since.

Fowler was probably the most disappointing of all of them. Once a free-scoring predator who looked set to become one of the most lethal finishers in the world game. Yet it just didn't quite happen. However anyone who saw him demolish Arsenal with a hat-trick scored in the space of five or so minutes would not have doubted he would go on to great things...

Guest shoppybrfc
I was talking to a mate of mine about the team that Leeds had in the semi finals of CL 2001 and I can remember everyone at the time talking of Leeds being able to compete in the coming years with Arse and Manc because of the mix of quality youngsters and experience they had.

This was the said that played Valencia in the semi's

Leeds United: Martyn, Mills, Harte, Ferdinand, Matteo, Bowyer, Dacourt, Batty, Kewell, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Robinson, Kelly, Woodgate, McPhail, Wilcox, Bakke, Burns.

Some others that aren't there were Seth Johnson, Duberry, Radebe, R Keane, Bridges, Huckerby and Fowler(01/02?)

Following on from other recent thread about players never realising their potential, may I now add the entire 2001 Leeds Utd team?

None of those players has actually got better then where they were in 2001 and most have got worse

Nearly all of those starting were laying the best footy of their careers though and havent played better since Leeds were flying high. Didnt Bridges also score 20

+ goals one season as well, Harte got about 10 goals from LB....

Robinson is crap btw. Martyn now would be safer hands :D

• 1 month later...

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio cheerio cheeriooooo

Have they played the last few seconds yet? I saw Dennis Wise nipping down the tunnel pretty sharpish when the trolls ran onto the pitch on Soccer Saturday. Don't blame him myself. All I can say is thank God it wasn't Cardiff they were playing. Imagine the trouble then.............

Leeds Utd fans behaving in their usual manner.

I`ve nothing actually against leeds as a club, but their fans deserve nothing more than this relegation.

good-bye & good ridance

Just listening to Terry Christian on Talksport having a proper gloat at Leeds plight. Well worth a listen. LOL!!

Good riddance and don't come back. Little Leeds. Little club now. Have had very poor gates in terms of the size of the city and catchment area for some considerable time, although nobody can see that. Predictable response from their hooligan scum. Dirty, stinking, little Leeds. They even have to stew for a week until it's officially confirmed. :lol::brfc:

Look back a couple of seasons ago when both of us and Leeds were on the verge of relegation. Cue the game at Ewood which we went on to lose 2-1. Their hopes were raised and confidence was destroyed at Rovers. Few days later we beat Fulham 4-3 at Loftus Road and Leeds went down. How thin the line between success and failure is.

Couple of years down the line, we have had a 6th place, 2 FA Cup Semi Finals, the round of 32 in the UEFA Cup and Leeds will soon be facing second division football for the first time in their history.

A bit of hope for Leeds fans, this could be the best thing that has ever happened to them.

Clear the deadwood, make wages more realistic, get the winning mentality back.

Although gutted to get relegated in 1998/99. The 2000/2001 Season remains one of my favourites and really made the fans expectations more realistic and cherish both the success we had in the early days and success were having now!

Keep the faith Leeds fans!

Amazing with its size, there is only 1 premiership club in yorkshire, with the second nearest premiership club to Elland road being Rovers. According to the RAC Routefinder only 4 miles longer than going to Sheffield United.

Isn't this the second of 2 clubs he's managed that Wise has led to relegation?

Not quite as bad as Kishishev who is on loan at Leeds from Charlton. He'll most likely be relegated twice this season!

Not being from England, I don't really understand the talk behind Leeds relegation, I didn't realise their fans were such (Please don't use that word again)knuckles

In saying that I have always had a soft spot for them because of the strong previous Aussie connection, Kewell, Burns, Okon, Dukes and I think there were a couple others

Begs the question, has any other club ever been ###### up so badly before?

There is a long and inglorious tradition-

Boro, Bristol City went bust and dropped from top division to where Leeds are going and beyond.

Forest longer and slower but no other European Champs are currently playing in the third level of their domestic league.

Plenty of examples abroad.

But for combination of financial recklessness and precipitate fall, Leeds are outstandingly bad. Wonder what Ken Bates will do now?

As someone who lived in Leeds in 1979/80 when Rovers were in the third division and Leeds were UEFA Cup/decent first division, I never thought I'd see a day like this.

Still remember the Leeds fans singing "There's only one Don Revie" through Busby's minutes silence in 1994. Not just a small number but about 25% of their crowd. Then when Shearer won it in the 94th minute they kicked off with the stewards in the ground and fans outside the Darwen End.

That opened my eyes to 'Dirty Leeds'.

Le'ts hope they're replaced by Blackpool.

Archived