BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Preview

Not one of our better days today I didn't think despite the 4-1 scoreline.

The first half was dire in the sense that although we dominated possession and our build up play was fairly neat, no-one seemed to want to try a shot whenever we got a sight of goal! A case of "After you Maude"

The second half didn't start much better but eventually Jason Roberts thought he'd try an effort on goal and all those of us who had been imploring the team to "SHOOT" :angry: were vindicated as Carson convenveniently threw his tame effort into the Blackburn End net Mark Crossley style.

They went down to ten but we somehow contrived to let them back in the game with a luducrous bit of defending.

A 4-1 scoreline looked a million miles away at that stage but thankfully Charlton gifted us a second by deflecting in a weak MGP attempt at a cross when again he should have been thinking about shooting.

Their heads dropped after that and the score could have had a very unrealistic look by the end.

Roberts scuffed the ball a foot over the line for his second and our 3rd after some excellent build up play and a wonderfully extravagant flick by Benni on the dead ball line which was just about his only significant contribution.

Derbyshire reminded us he is still on the premises with a superb finish for the 4th.

Nonda reminded us why he probably won't be on the premises next season by skying over a sitter from ten yards after that.

Great result, performance maybe not all that.

Saw hordes of Charlton fans walking down Cravens Brow about 1.30 p.m. Was tempted to shout to them "It's going to be a long walk back up there after you get stuffed!" but in the interests of the car decided discretion was the better part of valour! :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not one of our better days today I didn't think despite the 4-1 scoreline.

The first half was dire in the sense that although we dominated possession and our build up play was fairly neat, no-one seemed to want to try a shot whenever we got a sight of goal! A case of "After you Maude"

The second half didn't start much better but eventually Jason Roberts thought he'd try an effort on goal and all those of us who had been imploring the team to "SHOOT" :angry: were vindicated as Carson convenveniently threw his tame effort into the Blackburn End net Mark Crossley style.

They went down to ten but we somehow contrived to let them back in the game with a luducrous bit of defending.

A 4-1 scoreline looked a million miles away at that stage but thankfully Charlton gifted us a second by deflecting in a weak MGP attempt at a cross when again he should have been thinking about shooting.

Their heads dropped after that and the score could have had a very unrealistic look by the end.

Roberts scuffed the ball a foot over the line for his second and our 3rd after some excellent build up play and a wonderfully extravagant flick by Benni on the dead ball line which was just about his only significant contribution.

Derbyshire reminded us he is still on the premises with a superb finish for the 4th.

Nonda reminded us why he probably won't be on the premises next season by skying over a sitter from ten yards after that.

Great result, performance maybe not all that.

Saw hordes of Charlton fans walking down Cravens Brow about 1.30 p.m. Was tempted to shout to them "It's going to be a long walk back up there after you get stuffed!" but in the interests of the car decided discretion was the better part of valour! :)

Rev - its amazing how two people can see the game so differently.

Personally I thought Rovers were well in control for the vast majority of the match - my only concern (echoed by many around me) was that all our control of the match would be wasted by a break away goal (especially after the first half).

Against a team fighting for their lives we controlled the match for long periods - and though I must admit they put more effort in at times - our effort was more controlled - and class told in the end. The lead up to Jason Roberts second goals was superb inter-play - and I would advise anyone reading to watch match of the day if only for the build up play (like watching Brazil :lol: ).

Personally I wonder what people expect of Rovers - we put to the sword a Charlton side - and only the most biased or miserable would say that we didn't fully deserve our victory.

In my opinion we played OK but certainly not much better than that. When Charlton equalised with 10 men it was only fair on the balance of play. We were fortunate in that a point was not really much good for them and they continued to push on for 3. This meant that they left gaps at the back and we could exploit that, otherwise our customary ability to not break poor teams down might have shown itself. In the end we deserved the win because we showed more quality going forward than they did in the last half hour. What glossed over the performance was the fact they played the last 10 minutes or so with only 9 men which enabled us to carve them open and batter them at the end.

We look very determined at the moment. We may live to rue those 2 points dropped at Fulham.

I just wish Roberts had the technical ability to match his power and pace - he would be unplayable.

Samba is going to be class.

Pity we only have three games left. For the first time in ages we looked in complete control of the game. Even when Warnock forgot which team he played for we got on with it and banged another three in.

• Backroom

I thought this was very much an end of season game.. we didn't look up for it and gave Charlton far too much space in the first half.

The 4-1 score line flattered us, make no mistake... we play like that against Spuds and we'll get hammered!!!

Benni was none existant for the majority of the time he was on the feild, Roberts first touch is totally horrendous, MGP was not at the races today and Bentley was poor by his standards.

had everyone been firing on all cylinders the score line may well have been double figures. Thank goodness Charlton were so woeful!

Positive to take from this was that after the keystone-cop style equaliser, Rovers heads didn't drop and we actually started to play a bit of football.

Added note here: why oh why do we insist on lumping the ball forward instead of playing through midfeild?? lump it forward like that and as was the case this afternoon, it just came straight back at us

Still, having said all that, 3 points is 3 points... I'm a happy rover :P

I thought we were good. Well in control of the match all throughout. But as usual I thought our lack of being clinical may haunt us but it didnt.

I think the players look motivated and although our next two games are both difficult, if we continue with this attitude I dont see a reason why we cant win at least one, hopefully the one against Newcastle cause we may need to see Spurs beat us if we are to qualify for Europe. Weird. I know.

I thought this was very much an end of season game.. we didn't look up for it and gave Charlton far too much space in the first half.

The 4-1 score line flattered us, make no mistake... we play like that against Spuds and we'll get hammered!!!

Benni was none existant for the majority of the time he was on the feild, Roberts first touch is totally horrendous, MGP was not at the races today and Bentley was poor by his standards.

had everyone been firing on all cylinders the score line may well have been double figures. Thank goodness Charlton were so woeful!

Positive to take from this was that after the keystone-cop style equaliser, Rovers heads didn't drop and we actually started to play a bit of football.

Added note here: why oh why do we insist on lumping the ball forward instead of playing through midfeild?? lump it forward like that and as was the case this afternoon, it just came straight back at us

Still, having said all that, 3 points is 3 points... I'm a happy rover :P

Just back from the game,

Some of that I agree with. I though Pedersen played like a girl today. He seemed more concerned with his hair than actually getting stuck in. Back to the beginning of the season standard of play- oh and the Charlton full-back (Young) repeatedly strolled past him as if he wasn't there- which we wasn't apart from in spirit. David Bentley was either under orders NEVER to shoot (only crosses being allowed) or had lost all desire to get on the scoresheet. The number of times he had great shooting opportunities which turned into weak crosses was ridiculous.

I'd also really like it if someone pointed out to Benni that when a high ball is lumped up to him, falling over rather than either jumping for it or staying on his feet is NEVER (repeat ad nauseam) going to be a free kick. He looked like my friends' baby, who's learning to walk, today- repeatedly being on his backside with his arms out. All we didn't get was the crying.

Today was crying out for Reid or Savage. We're just too lightweight without them. Roberts can hold the ball up, but he then has the two weedy wingers or the crying baby to pass to. We were much better when Derbs came on- mainly because he had a focus- which was to get the ball in the back of the net- however it had to be done. He wasn't trying for artistic impression, merely foot, ball, goal. Which had been sadly lacking to that point.

I have to say that I don't think I've ever come away from an emphatic win so cross. I just felt that the front (ish) 3 of four thought they were already on their holidays, or too good for the match. In the end (against 10 men) they were. But for a while it was close.

I'm hoping thats going to change next season :unsure:

I don't know karting is getting more popular every week.

Think after reading some of the negative posts we would have been better losing 1 0 to give Rev and co something to moan about. Observer report got it spot on.

Amazing how opinions of the same match can differ between people so much. While nobody really set the world on fire today we were always in control and I was never worried about Charlton scoring (even Warnock's shocking error could be forgiven, he was playing well).

For whatever reason no player wanted to shoot in the first half, luckily for us we started to though as Carson decided to wear gloves made of butter.

I don't think any player deserves bad press today, we did enough to soundly beat an extremely shoddy Charlton side and for that I came home happy.

Watched the game on tape delay...

Not the best game, but good enough - it was nice seeing Rovers being ruthless for once. All of our offense went through the right in the first half, Warnock and Pedersen weren't very good. At least Pedersen made up for it with the OG and cutback for Roberts' second in the second half.. Warnock was just not very good all game.. Emerton was the far better fullback. Except for when he got schooled by Thomas once or twice.. Nelsen and Samba were pretty good, as were Bents and Roberts.. When I saw Bentley was going up against Thatcher, I felt pretty confident there would either be a red card for Thatcher or an injury to Bents... luckily it was the former. McCarthy was alright.. I agree with the poster who complained about how often we lump it forward - I think this makes McCarthy look worse than he is.. he needs it played into his feet. And way to go Derbyshire! I really hope he is still around the first team next year... which is much more than I can say for Nonda... that was a bad miss.

Felt like we took our foot off the pedal a little for the last 5-8 minutes as the team felt sorry for 9 man Charlton.. and to be honest, I did too.. but I was furious when Bent smacked his header against the crossbar - there was no way our defense should be sleeping like that against 9 men..

Good win, but we'll need to pick up our game a little bit more for the next few games.

McCarthy was alright.. I agree with the poster who complained about how often we lump it forward - I think this makes McCarthy look worse than he is.. he needs it played into his feet.

I didn't watch the game, but I was about to post the same point: if the ball is being lumped his way then don't expect much of anything from him. He's all class and wants to be able to be freed up or use his feet on the ball to create something. Players like Shefki Kuqi are the players to lump it to and contest for the ball. If he kicks 20 goals a season he can look as lazy as he wants to be. He uses intelligence and skill to work the opposition. It's a privilege to see him play and several cuts above seeing workhorses Dickov and Kuqi running and contesting like madmen for smaller returns.

EDIT: When's all said and done, if he ever left he would be sorely missed anyway, despite the current feeling among some. I remember last season Bellamy criticised for only scoring when winning, being a liability due to injury proneness, and then there was that statistic about average points per game being less when Bellamy played than when he didn't play. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

We obviously controlled the game but created surprisingly few chances against a pretty shoddy Charlton side. The first three goals were fortuitous, though the build-up to Roberts's second was class. Derbyshire's finish however was simply class.

Scrappy affair early. We were the better team all round. Someone needs to have a word with Bentley, I did not like his antics for the Charlton player to get sent off. We whine enough about divers we don't nee one of our own.

Our final ball today almost every time was woeful, woeful. What the hell did Warnock think he was doing?

Still ran out handy 4-1 winners Matty notched another with a welll taken effort. Have to be pleased.

What can you say about Benni, call him lazy, I do, but the lad has some class. Who else do we have that would have the guile and the skill to pull off that cheeky little back heel to Gamst in the area to make Roberts goal. Sweet that very sweet.

What can you say about Benni, call him lazy, I do, but the lad has some class. Who else do we have that would have the guile and the skill to pull off that cheeky little back heel to Gamst in the area to make Roberts goal. Sweet that very sweet.

Benni and Pedersen seemed to have some telepathy among themselves already. It was a joy to watch them doing flicks on the left side at times.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Apr 28 2007, 21:37 ) 509123[/snapback]
Think after reading some of the negative posts we would have been better losing 1 0 to give Rev and co something to moan about. Observer report got it spot on.

It seems to be something about beating Charlton 4-1 that Rovers fans really dislike.

When we won by the same scoreline in the 2001-02 season, on leaving the ground I walked quite a few people who were moaning "we might have won but we weren't very good".

Quite an entertaining match I thought, Charlton looked like a side that know their numbers up. I enjoyed the game, thought we bossed it from start to end. Can't understand why so much moaning is going on. Gives us some momentum for the trip up to Newcastle, really looking forward to next week now.

PS-How crappy is Hernan Icelandman -allowed Roberts to just run away and score for the first, an OG and looked like he was on drugs throught!

Scrappy affair early. We were the better team all round. Someone needs to have a word with Bentley, I did not like his antics for the Charlton player to get sent off. We whine enough about divers we don't nee one of our own.

What antics? Thatcher hacked him down. It's not like he rolled twenty times and pretended to be injured.

What antics? Thatcher hacked him down. It's not like he rolled twenty times and pretended to be injured.

Bentley's a serial diver and I don't like it either. And has he ever passed to Bert on the overlap?

Still, I suppose with our currently limited means, we have to accept flaws in all our players

Archived