BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

I'm quite enjoying the furore Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and cronies are creating about the fishing industry laws. It should have been done years ago and the fishing laws are the finest case for getting out of the European mad house that there is. It's a scandal and a sin that fish which have just been caught and obviously killed in the process are thrown back because of a quota system. It 'one flew over the cuckoos nest' thinking.

Also very funny to see Tesco cop it for buying tuna from unscrupulous sources that admit to killing turtlea and dolphins in the process. I hope the two black chaps don't get in bother for innocently spilling the beans but the Tesco chappies face was a picture of stunned shock. I guess other than line caught Tuna it must be almost impossible to not net dolphins, turtles etc and that the only way forward is to make all but rod and line fishing for Tuna illegal even if we all have to pay significantly more. Lets be honest, we can afford it and food is way too cheap in this country, europe and the USA anyway.

Edited by thenodrog

Another way of safe tuna fishing would be to just fish for safejack tuna, it's the type of tuna that doesn't associate itself with dolphins.

There's also alot of it to so it could be substainably fished.

The reason we don't fish for it properly is because it's harder to find then over types if tuna, reason being with other types you spot the dolphins and odds are tuna is with it. With these there not. They eat it in japan alot though, it's very nice, bit lighter than normal tuna.

Another way of safe tuna fishing would be to just fish for safejack tuna, it's the type of tuna that doesn't associate itself with dolphins.

There's also alot of it to so it could be substainably fished.

The reason we don't fish for it properly is because it's harder to find then over types if tuna, reason being with other types you spot the dolphins and odds are tuna is with it. With these there not. They eat it in japan alot though, it's very nice, bit lighter than normal tuna.

• Backroom

Had a couple of nice meals over the weekend, Saturday night had a curry at Sukhis in Darwen, decent curry and bumped into Abbey as well.

Yesterday we went to La Scala on longsight road for lunch, great value at £3.95 any pasta or pizza and it was as good a pasta dish and garlic bread I've had in a long time, will definitely go back.

Tris, on 05 May 2010 - 23:39 PM, said:

Darwen has a new restaurant called La Salsa, on Railway Road just behind the market.

Anbody been here lately can give an uptodate report - heading down here Monday night all being well

Just got around to updating on this - despite the initial problem of being overbooked/too many off the street- once we had got sorted (party of x17) - service and food where excellent and would definitely recommend.

I agree wholeheartedly about La Sasa. I went there just before Christmas with some of the lads I play footy with and the food was fantastic. Good service too and jaw dropping value for money.

I'd also recommend Pond in Preston (Cannon St). It's a tapas type do but the portions are a bit more substantial and there is a vast variety to pick from. If you go and you like steak, I'd recommend the Argentine fillet.

Last night I went to the Wellsprings on Pendle Hill with Mrs Sidders and her clan. Food was brilliant, portions were enormous (some starters would easily qualify as main courses) and service was very friendly. Mrs Sidders' mum went for some gargantuan seafood ensemble and it would have cost a bomb in London, but less than £15 there. We had starters and mains as well as drinks and including plonk off the wine list. Total bill for 8 of us was a very reasonable £183.

Been going to Lotus in Northenden a lot recently. The food is absolutely sublime - Malaysian and South Indian cuisine, a bit different to the usual North Indian restaurants and curries and, IMO, far more tasty.

They also do meals on Banana leaves most weekends - not many places I know of go to that effort of authenticity.

If you're in the area and you like a curry then I highly recommend a try!

Thanks, I'm only a mile or so down the road so I'll check that out soon. Looks very reasonably priced from the menu!

Been going to Lotus in Northenden a lot recently. The food is absolutely sublime - Malaysian and South Indian cuisine, a bit different to the usual North Indian restaurants and curries and, IMO, far more tasty.

They also do meals on Banana leaves most weekends - not many places I know of go to that effort of authenticity.

If you're in the area and you like a curry then I highly recommend a try!

I get my haircut just a bit further up ! (my mate in Belgium thought 'Northenden' was a comedy name for a small town in the north!)

• 2 months later...

Went to Bukhara on Saturday for a meal. Was top notch.

90% of the diners were Asian which can only bode well for the authenticity value.

My meal was fresh and full of natural colours. Not a food colouring in sight on our table.

4 popadoms

Chutney selection

Two large rice

Two speciality curries

2 Garlic Naan

Chips

4 drinks (all sprite)

£38

• Backroom

Recently had a top meal at the Three Fishes and some great meals at La Scala next to Shajan.

Also had a lovely sandwhich in the sun at the Butlers on Sunday.

Off to the Golden Lion tomorrow for a mates birthday. 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £14 I think.

Went to Bukhara on Saturday for a meal. Was top notch.

90% of the diners were Asian which can only bode well for the authenticity value.

My meal was fresh and full of natural colours. Not a food colouring in sight on our table.

4 popadoms

Chutney selection

Two large rice

Two speciality curries

2 Garlic Naan

Chips

4 drinks (all sprite)

£38

Agree fully, food is great and consistently so.

Best place I’ve eaten of late is The Mulberry Tree in Wrightington, great menu and very reasonably priced.

Mulberry Tree

I've also rediscovered Cafe Rouge, not really my sort of place, but had 2 great meals there recently.

Has anybody tried the Calypso Carribean Restaurant in Blackburn? ..it used to be on Preson New Road , but they have recently moved to Eanam Wharf ? fantastic food and great value , platters for 2 i think was £25 and there's more than enough

Has anybody tried the Calypso Carribean Restaurant in Blackburn? ..it used to be on Preson New Road , but they have recently moved to Eanam Wharf ? fantastic food and great value , platters for 2 i think was £25 and there's more than enough

I was only talking about Eanam Wharf today, was a terrible hole the last time I went in about 5yrs ago :(

We visited the Calypso Carribean when it was at the Woodlands and enjoyed it.

Really that's a shame, we used to start our Friday night off there about 18 years ago.

When Blackburn was a good night out Ciren, terrible place now, run down and not a decent pub in the town centre :(

When Blackburn was a good night out Ciren, terrible place now, run down and not a decent pub in the town centre :(

If somone back then had told me how Blackburn was to deteriorate and how quickly I'd never have believed them. It's finished. I feel so sorry for the kids nowadays.

Edited by thenodrog

Best butchers is Ken Bamber at Higher Walton on the way into Preston. Not far from Blackburn.

11 Cann Bridge St, Higher Walton, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 4DJ, United Kingdom - 01772 335181‎

Noticed Ken Bamber's is no more when I drove past yesterday ... another good place gone.

I get most everyday meat from Spout House Higher Wheelton, but Bamber's used to do more unusual stuff like local wild rabbit.

Noticed Ken Bamber's is no more when I drove past yesterday ... another good place gone.

I get most everyday meat from Spout House Higher Wheelton, but Bamber's used to do more unusual stuff like local wild rabbit.

Good meat but be careful before anyone makes a special journey cos Spout House is only open about 3x per week so it's best to check first.

There is excellent home reared Aberdeen Angus beef available at Greenhurst Farm Samlesbury. It's 50 yards down Alum Scar lane which is about 300yards out of Samlesbury village on the road toward Mellor and Blackburn. Recommended.

*btw foodies. Nice little summer food trail here. Mellor post office for the best sausages in the area, (Millstone Hotel 50 yards away where the wainwrights is usually excellent) Greenhurst for Beef, (nice pint in the Nab's Head) and on to Huntleys for fish, veg and wine.(Quick scoop and lunch in the Myerscough). Lovely day out which is equally as good in reverse.... but get the missus to drive. ;)

Going to The Oyster & Otter at Fenny tomoorow. Looking at their website, it seems to be a Clog & Billy or Three Fishes type of place with a bit more emphasis on fish dishes. Will report back, meanwhile anyone else tried it?

Yep, I went the first week it opened. Thought it was top notch. They do a squid starter which is it excellent.

Yep, I went the first week it opened. Thought it was top notch. They do a squid starter which is it excellent.

I'll echo that. Er indoors had that and it was both tasty and a massive portion. I was ravenous so I had the spare ribs to start and Fish, Chips and peas. btw Regular portion is more than enough!

For anybody that likes fish the Brill main course was excellent.

The only disappointed criticisms were the asparagus and shrimp starter (two warm dishes served with cold tomatoe's doesn't suit) and also the fish curry which is a bit mild and sweet for many tastes.

Just a point but the interior is very well done and tastefully decorated with the options of very private and comfortable booths but the only disappointment being the outside decor which makes it look like a down market Swiss ski chalet.

Edited by thenodrog