BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Algheros is okay food it is nothing special but it does not try to be something it is not.

Sunday night and hungover "fancy nipping out for tea?" Two minutes away and home within forty five minutes. Job done. That is all i use it for.

The Bruscetta and steak dishes are nice as is the pollo al curry (i know, not very italian but it's very good)

Much better places around for more lavish occasions.

2 minutes from my house also, which is why I keep trying the place, but I won't be going again.

12 minutes @ 95mph away.lol.

Abbs - Has parmesan and pepper opened up as anything else?

Used to like it there, always had fresh fish on the menu.

Algheros; shame. I have had some good "times" there, but come to think about it carefully the food has not figured as the theme of any evening. So good for groups, party etc. Family or intimate meal.... forget it.

Yea its an Indian called Nagra..they spent a fortune doing it up .It looks good .I had a tour ;) .My brother has been 3 times and everyone reckons its the best round here .To try it is on my list.

Plenty of competition around the area pal, so it will have to be good to attract the custom.

Its on the list.

An Indian in Abbey Village? It is on my list also.

P & P was better food and better prices than Algheros but lacked the atmosphere.

The GF went over to their new venture in Chorley Town Centre (Italian Cottage) a month or so ago and said it was very good!

Edited by vintageadidas

Italian Cottage is very good. If you go for the 3 courses for £10.95 and avoid the 660ml bottles of Peroni you get a bargain.

But add the beer and it becomes very expensive! (Thus speaks the voice of experience).

Went to Mangiamos in Darwen recently, half price pizza and pasta every Tuesday and Wednesday when you buy a starter, avoid the beer and wine and two people can walk away full for under £20.

Its certainly not San Carlos standard, buts its much better than Algheros for me.

Was told about the food hygiene standards yesterday and anyone who visits Borrocos in Edgerton should take a look before the next visit :(

• Backroom

Went to Mangiamos in Darwen recently, half price pizza and pasta every Tuesday and Wednesday when you buy a starter, avoid the beer and wine and two people can walk away full for under £20.

Its certainly not San Carlos standard, buts its much better than Algheros for me.

Was told about the food hygiene standards yesterday and anyone who visits Borrocos in Edgerton should take a look before the next visit :(

Gav, I've mentioned it before but La Scala on Longsight Road is well worth a visit on a Monday night, £3.95 for any Pizza / Pasta dish and the quality is pretty impresive IMO.

http://www.lascalarestaurant.co.uk/

Edit and as I say that I look at the above link and see it down as a 1 :lol:

Edited by TCO

Went to a leaving do last night involving 8-10 pints of strong lager around Clitheroe finished off at 2.00am with a Khyber. First time I've been to the khyber in half a dozen years since Blackburn nightlife was unofficially declared dead and buried but the curry and chips with an elephants ear is still as good as it gets. Three of us two starters and three curries £23 the lot!

Odd thing though. I rem the Khyber opening in the early 70's when there were just three curries available, keema, potato and cauliflower and as I said earlier I frequented it in fits and starts until half a dozen years or so ago but they must have changed chefs or something cos I never needed the help of any rennies in those days. This morning I was up at 5.00am frantically chewing two of em! :(

Gav, I've mentioned it before but La Scala on Longsight Road is well worth a visit on a Monday night, £3.95 for any Pizza / Pasta dish and the quality is pretty impresive IMO.

http://www.lascalarestaurant.co.uk/

Edit and as I say that I look at the above link and see it down as a 1 :lol:

Never been Tom, but I did read they scored terrible on the food hygene page above, then again my fav takeaway did a couple of years ago but I still carried on going :P

Which is?

It was one in Drawen, I've since given up going because they served me raw chicken about a month ago.

How about yours vintage?

Me & the wife went this weekend for the first time and we really enjoyed it.

I got a bit bored with the menu a while back, but the food is always first class as far as I'm concerned.

Tough one that GAV as i would have to go through all the different cuisines, but if i was to be pushed i would say Great Village, Hollytree is my favourite takeaway.

As a lover of food i think i will actually list my favourite takeaways:

Pizza - Algheros

Curry - Bukhara

Chinese - Great Village

Kebab - Godfather

Fish/Chips - Hollytree

Tough one that GAV as i would have to go through all the different cuisines, but if i was to be pushed i would say Great Village, Hollytree is my favourite takeaway.

As a lover of food i think i will actually list my favourite takeaways:

Pizza - Algheros

Curry - Bukhara

Chinese - Great Village

Kebab - Godfather

Fish/Chips - Hollytree

The salt and pepper squid at Great Village is the best I tasted anywhere, but I still tend to make my way to The Man Lee in Darwen (not the place with the raw chicken by the way) been going for years and love it.

Pizza - don't buy it

Curry - Trishna Bolton Rd

Kebab - Godfather

fish n chips - HollyTree, but Oyster and Otter may take over that when I try the shellfish n chips.

Algheros? I cannot understand why people rate it. Full of badly behaved noisy kids, dreadful service and dreadful food.

I try it once a year to see if it has improved as it is only 5 minutes drive, every time it is worse......the pits!

It's not just me that thinks it's awful then Preston Blue? I thought maybe I was changing into a grumpy old git. Thanks for proving that I'm not. ;)

"badly behaved noisy kids"

Amazing how many people allow their children to behave like gremlins in public places. Running around in restaurants is surely a health and safety issue. I must say I've often wished some kids would get run over by the suite trolley or covered in hot soup but no doubt that would be a nightmare for the owner of the restaurant and not the numpty weak minded parents who are 100% to blame.

There is no doubt that ill mannered hids are the direct result of ill mannered parents and nothing else. I suppose it stems from indiscipline meted out by uncaring parents in their own youth. This new well meaning but seriously misguided rule that forbids responsible parents from dishing out the occasional disciplinary slapped leg in public is just worsening the situation too.

So nice to see that more and more hotels, restaurants and holiday companies have introduced a strict 'No Children' rule. Our slack liberal society in it's infinite wisdom has led to children now becoming below pets in the social standings. How goods that eh?

Edited by thenodrog

Issue i have with kids, is the attitude a few places take to them. Like "kids" areas.... When my lad was young he was taught to behave, and he did. So the times we visited places on our travels that would not allow him to sit with us, we left.

I am not going to sit in a playgroup to eat my lunch!

Also I refruse to eat when kids are running about... i request to be moved , if not walk!

Sort your children out sumbags , you know who you are.....

Algheros? I cannot understand why people rate it. Full of badly behaved noisy kids, dreadful service and dreadful food.

I try it once a year to see if it has improved as it is only 5 minutes drive, every time it is worse......the pits!

Couldn't agree more Preston blue, we try it once a year also in the hope its improved, but it never does.

Pinocchio’s in Walton le dale isn't bad, recently refurbished with some interesting dishes on the menu.

• Backroom

For takeaways

Pizza - Balti House, is pretty good but pricey

Kebab - Balti House or Omars in Accrington

Curry - Akash or Shah Joli

Chinese - I don't bother really they are all very similar on the whole

To eat in:

Italian - Nuraghes and La Scala are both great

Indian - Out of all the ones in Blackburn / Darwen I have tried Shajan is still my favourite

English gastro pub food - I enjoy the three fishes / Clog and Billy

Chains / quick service - Nandos is decent and I like the Chiquitos lunch menu. Also Pizza hut do brilliant offer between 3 and 5, a (roughly) 9 inch pizza, side or garlic bread, salad bar and a soft drink for £5.