BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Local recomendations

Kebab - Zands Mill Hill

Curry - Al Raj Feniscowles

Chinese - Cherry Tree Chippy

Italian (dissapointed wouldn't recomend any)

English - Clogg & Billy

thninking about it, Other than not having the hastle of the mess in the kitchen etc... I perfer to cook my own food. It always exceeds my expectations and is loved by everyone!

Local recomendations

Kebab - Zands Mill Hill

Curry - Al Raj Feniscowles

Chinese - Cherry Tree Chippy

Italian (dissapointed wouldn't recomend any)

English - Clogg & Billy

thninking about it, Other than not having the hastle of the mess in the kitchen etc... I perfer to cook my own food. It always exceeds my expectations and is loved by everyone!

No offence and food is a very subjective topic but Ali Raj and Cherry Tree Chinese are horrid in my opinion.

Do you know 3P I never open a recipe book these days despite having a shelf full. It's so much easier, quicker (and particularly if you include the ingredients that you want to use or have available) simply googling a recipe.

Nabs Head, Samlesbury - absolute disgusting food and place. The worst i have been to for years. Avoid.

If it's any help, "spelling-nazi Colin" has been on their web site. Oh dear.

Any of our posters who live in/know Leeds recommend anywhere to take our 2 youngest for a bit of a celebration meal after they graduate. Their ceremonies are in York and Stoke so Leeds is convenient for all of us. Looking for somewhere nice but not too pricy. Thanks

I went to the Butlers Arms at Pleasington on Thursday night and have to say I was massively disappointed again. I've been there many times and have always enjoyed it, apart from once a few months ago when Mrs Sidders had to send her fish back as it wasn't cooked. This time I went with four family members and the common feeling was way too much salt, bland food and somewhat stingy portions of veg. The batter on the onion rings my brother-in-law got with his steak wasn't cooked properly either. Very disappointing and feel that's another one to strike off the regulars list.

Any of our posters who live in/know Leeds recommend anywhere to take our 2 youngest for a bit of a celebration meal after they graduate. Their ceremonies are in York and Stoke so Leeds is convenient for all of us. Looking for somewhere nice but not too pricy. Thanks

I don't know Leeds. Went to a place called Brio years ago that was nice.

Sam's/Tom's Chop Houses in Manchester are good and there is a Leeds version, although I've never been.

http://samsleeds.thevictorianchophousecompany.com/

I went to the Butlers Arms at Pleasington on Thursday night and have to say I was massively disappointed again. I've been there many times and have always enjoyed it, apart from once a few months ago when Mrs Sidders had to send her fish back as it wasn't cooked. This time I went with four family members and the common feeling was way too much salt, bland food and somewhat stingy portions of veg. The batter on the onion rings my brother-in-law got with his steak wasn't cooked properly either. Very disappointing and feel that's another one to strike off the regulars list.

Did you complain Sidders?

I said it was too salty and that it wasn't as good as usual, but I'd been more specific the previous time and it was the same sort of mistake so they're not for learning. In fairness, if it had been pretty well anywhere else I probably wouldn't have been so bothered, it's just that I know how good it was not so long ago.

I'm a student in Leeds and have been to loads.. I'll give you a little run through here of my top choices with (from what I can remember) a rough price.

San Carlo

Simply Exquisite, one of the best meals I've ever eaten. I hada Valentines set menu with my girlfriend which was rather pricey but amazing. The actual place is incredible as well, really nice. Friendly service and if you're willing to splurge on a special occasion my number 1.

Salvos

Won 'best independent Italian restaurant' on Gordon Ramsay's F Word. Again great food at a slightly cheaper price than San Carlo. Only downside is you can't book. You just turn up on the night and then they have an upstairs bar area that you can get a drink and some nibbles at while you wait 30-45 mins for a table.

Jamie's Italian

One of Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurants, I have never eaten here myself so I can't give you a first hand review. I have however been told it is a good solid eat and at a reasonable price. But as I said, I couldn't confirm that (maybe a quick browse of the site would help you)

Blackhouse

Brilliant steakhouse, there are a few dotted around the country and if anyone has been to 'grill on the alley' in Manchester they will be able to tell you how good the steaks here are. Best steak I've had in Leeds, so if it's steak you're after I'd recommend you look no further. Steer clear of the burgers.. the steaks are much better cuts of meat. You pay what you'd expect to pay at a dedicated steakhouse, it's certainly not pub prices.

Browns

Standard chain Browns, decent food at decent prices. Been here a few times, never been disappointed but at the same time it has never set my world alight. Good service though.

Red Hot World Buffet

Bit of a wildcard lol. A huge buffet restaurant that has every cuisine you could want. The food doesn't taste like buffet food either it tastes as though you'd ordered it fresh at a restaurant. It's incredible and all for £13-£15. It's not particularly posh so maybe not right for your occasion but if you're ever back in Leeds I recommend it, it has to be seen/tasted/experienced to be believed.

If you want any more info then feel free to PM me or reply on here. I know plenty more if none of these suit your needs but I'd say San Carlo or Salvo's will definitely not disappoint you. Also don't let it worry you that I'm a student laugh.gif I'm rather well travelled and I assure you these are not a bunch of cheap student dives tongue.gif

Depends what your opinion of not 'too' pricey is, but for a special occasion I like Sous le Nez. Mains are £12 to £17, though steaks are quite a bit more.

Having lived there for a few years my favourite place to eat in Leeds is Chaophraya (Thai). That obviously depends if everyone likes Asian food.

I wanted to suggest the same for you as someone else, but I think that fact I haven't says a lot about the quality of restaurants in Leeds. There are a lot of very good places so you'll struggle to go wrong.

Depends what your opinion of not 'too' pricey is, but for a special occasion I like Sous le Nez. Mains are £12 to £17, though steaks are quite a bit more.

Having lived there for a few years my favourite place to eat in Leeds is Chaophraya (Thai). That obviously depends if everyone likes Asian food.

I wanted to suggest the same for you as someone else, but I think that fact I haven't says a lot about the quality of restaurants in Leeds. There are a lot of very good places so you'll struggle to go wrong.

Ooh Chaophraya I've been wanting to try there for a while! Just not got round to it, a friend recommended it to me.

After your glowing review I'll definitely try it soon.

I'll let you know how I get on (if I remember).

I'm a student in Leeds and have been to loads.. I'll give you a little run through here of my top choices with (from what I can remember) a rough price.

San Carlo

Simply Exquisite, one of the best meals I've ever eaten. I hada Valentines set menu with my girlfriend which was rather pricey but amazing. The actual place is incredible as well, really nice. Friendly service and if you're willing to splurge on a special occasion my number 1.

Salvos

Won 'best independent Italian restaurant' on Gordon Ramsay's F Word. Again great food at a slightly cheaper price than San Carlo. Only downside is you can't book. You just turn up on the night and then they have an upstairs bar area that you can get a drink and some nibbles at while you wait 30-45 mins for a table.

Jamie's Italian

One of Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurants, I have never eaten here myself so I can't give you a first hand review. I have however been told it is a good solid eat and at a reasonable price. But as I said, I couldn't confirm that (maybe a quick browse of the site would help you)

Blackhouse

Brilliant steakhouse, there are a few dotted around the country and if anyone has been to 'grill on the alley' in Manchester they will be able to tell you how good the steaks here are. Best steak I've had in Leeds, so if it's steak you're after I'd recommend you look no further. Steer clear of the burgers.. the steaks are much better cuts of meat. You pay what you'd expect to pay at a dedicated steakhouse, it's certainly not pub prices.

Browns

Standard chain Browns, decent food at decent prices. Been here a few times, never been disappointed but at the same time it has never set my world alight. Good service though.

Red Hot World Buffet

Bit of a wildcard lol. A huge buffet restaurant that has every cuisine you could want. The food doesn't taste like buffet food either it tastes as though you'd ordered it fresh at a restaurant. It's incredible and all for £13-£15. It's not particularly posh so maybe not right for your occasion but if you're ever back in Leeds I recommend it, it has to be seen/tasted/experienced to be believed.

If you want any more info then feel free to PM me or reply on here. I know plenty more if none of these suit your needs but I'd say San Carlo or Salvo's will definitely not disappoint you. Also don't let it worry you that I'm a student laugh.gif I'm rather well travelled and I assure you these are not a bunch of cheap student dives tongue.gif

Did the Red Hot Buffet for my birthday. Good but not quite what we want on this occasion, as our daughter has just got a first in her Masters and we want to treat her somewhere just a bit smarter. Said daughter actually worked in Leeds from Jan to May last year and this but doesn't seem to have found her way round the restaurants for various reasons which is why I thought I'd ask advice here, as I've noticed quite a few posters from Leeds. Will check out these or get her to check them out when she's back there later this week. Thanks.

• Backroom

Went to The Auberge again...as good as ever.

Glad to hear it, was gutted to hear Gareth (owner / head chef /top bloke) suffered a bad stroke recently, hope he's back in the kitchen soon.

Think I'll go soon (on the early bird menu of course)

Good but not quite what we want on this occasion, as our daughter has just got a first in her Masters and we want to treat her somewhere just a bit smarter.

Ahem, Your daughter has got a first in her Masters Degree and you are worying about a meal. *facepalm* (as my daughter has taught me to do.)

Congrats Gumboots, & to your daughter too.

Edited by colin

Ahem, Your daughter has got a first in her Masters Degree and you are worying about a meal. *facepalm* (as my daughter has taught me to do.)

Congrats Gumboots, & to your daughter too.

Problem is, we had already booked to go to our son's degree ceremony in York at 9.30 on July 15th. At that point there seemed little chance of our daughter graduating at all this year as she was supposed to finish a 30 minute documentary in order to do so and since she's worked almost full time since finishing her actual course 2 years ago, graduation seemed unlikely. Then the Uni got wise to the fact that some of their better students weren't going to get their degrees if they didn't do something different as all the people on my daughter's course were working somewhere in the media and simply didn't have time to set up interviews and film the extra hours of footage required for editing into 30 mins. So they changed the rules and allowed a portfolio of professional work from the last 2 years accompanied by a written evaluation. Daughter has 11 or so editions of Late Kick off to choose from and so writes evaluation of 6 different kinds of piece, puts the 6 pieces on DVD and gets it in just before the deadline for awards then suddenly discovers that graduation is not just same day as little brother's but at more or less the same time. So we can't attend. She, when not working at the BBC in London, lives in Leeds so seems sensible to share at least part of the day by eating together in Leeds but if we have to foot the bill for 5 or 6 of us, having just paid for a christening do for the eldest one's new baby, we don't want to pay the earth, but want to make it nice. And thanks for the congrats. :D

• Backroom

Well I know a good curry and I've had some there in the past not been for a bit though that and Bukharra are some of the best around IMO.

Shaajan could be awful and still be packed though with the Bulls head crowd.

Got a birthday coming up and was tempted by Bukharra but will probably plump for Sukhis followed by a couple in Darwen

Edited by TCO