BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Bukhara really does set the standard for IndoPak cuisine. It is stand out alone at the top of the pile imo BWR.

'Chilman Biryani'.... it's not on the on line menu. It's prob new so I'll give it a try soon on your recommendation. I usually get stuck on the fantastic Afghani Lamb Tikka for starters and either Gosht alu Bukhara / Lamb Dopiaza for main. One of these days I'm going to go with 2/3 mates and order that roast leg of lamb on the specials. Every time I've seen it it looks amazing.

btw 1.. Do you think if I did they'd get humanely slaughtered lamb for me and non of that inhumanely killed variety? It's the only thing that tempers my admiration for such well prepared and presented Pakistani meat dishes.

btw 2..Any discount if I mention your name and pay with the folding stuff? :huh:;)

The Chilman Biryani has been a recent addition to the menu (I say recent, been over a year). Thoroughly enjoyable and different, definitely recommend the dish.

The leg of lamb i best if you pre-order it a good few days in adavance. This allows the chef to marinate it accordingly. I've not tried the stuffed lamb leg, but I really do enjoy the normal one on offer.

On the slaughtering part Theno, I honestly don't know.

If you did mention my name he'd charge you double :lol:

Just out of curiousity, have you tried the salads there?

Went to the Ashiana Bangladeshi restaurant which is on the Fleetwood road off the M55 today. Very highly recommended.

I went a couple of years back and really enjoyed it.

Passed the place so many times, had give it a try, and wasn't disappointed, Debs had Bangladeshi fish which was really nice, well cooked and full of flavour.

Must go back.

Any recommendations for sidari?

I recommend you try Crete instead :D

Just out of curiousity, have you tried the salads there?

We had the mango salad last time we visited, fantastic.

Been there done that .Love the Greek islands.I've been recomended a lighthouse taverna there .That's on my list.

Couldn't agree more pal, the Greek islands are fantastic, not been to a bad one yet.

• 3 weeks later...

El Rincon (Spanish) is very good tucked away behind Deansgate and Quay Street. Its address is Deansgate but it is approached from behind via Artillery Street. Authentic, good atmosphere and excellent food. Hmmm, can feel a booking coming on......

Once again must thank CLB for this gem ... since your quoted post we must have been there a dozen times or more. Popped in last night before Iron Maiden at the MEN and you just can't find a better place for a top quality, fast meal - 7 tapas dishes, 2 pints of Cruzcampo, in and out in less than an hour - 38 quid. Ideal for pre-concert or theatre.

Has anybody tried the Calypso Carribean Restaurant in Blackburn? ..it used to be on Preson New Road , but they have recently moved to Eanam Wharf ? fantastic food and great value , platters for 2 i think was £25 and there's more than enough

We're fortunate in this part of the world ... from the trio of great curry places in Darwen (and others dotted around the area), through Ribble Valley Inns, via some great independent pubs which even trump RVI, the gem that is Northcote, the variety and quality available in Manchester - we're very very lucky to have all this. Reading back through this thread, I can't see many negative reviews. I've certainly never posted one, and this thread has been running for well over 3 years! I'm very sorry I have to do so now.

I love Caribbean food, and had read some good reviews of Calypso both when they were at Woodlands and since the move to Eanam Wharf. It's certainly a nice location by the canal (they could maybe do more with it) and the concept and enthusiasm is full of promise. Tonight though, I felt like calling Gordon Ramsey in.

Nothing but praise for the front of house / waiting staff. They are enthusiastic and are doing their very best. But then there is a void - there is no front of house management, and poor communication with the kitchen. As a diner, if you hear and see the chef (I think in this case the co-owner as well) come out of the kitchen to dish out an f-word dressing down to his staff - in public - then that's a problem. It happened twice.

It wasn't the only problem - our side dishes were missed, then served as we finished the main - so we had the plantain for pudding and will take the dumplings to Trent Bridge tomorrow (new balls please) ... we didn't order dumplings anyway, that one should have been sweet potato mash, but by the time the dumplings arrived we were beyond complaining and just wanted to get out.

There are only three options on the list for white wine, but at 8pm our bottle of SB arrived with an apology that it hadn't been chilled so we should leave it in the ice bucket for a while. How can a choice of three whites turn up a bottle which isn't chilled?

Jerk Chicken with rice and peas should be a reference dish at a restaurant in the UK claiming to be Caribbean. The chicken was well flavoured and did have grill lines on it, but after 3 forkfulls it was cold. My guess - prepared some time ago, then microwaved for service. Rice and peas the same, and very dry. "Calypso fries" were standard pub chips - no hint of a Caribbean flavour as promised on the menu.

There is more, but I really want places like this in Blackburn to do well! They must have had some confidence to move from underneath Woodlands over to Eanam Wharf, but based on our experience tonight socks need to be pulled up. I'll give it one more chance in a couple of months ... massive improvement needed.

A few bad reviews on here I seem to remember.....

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/archive/2011/07/28/Clitheroe+%28clitheroe%29/9166722.Celebrity_chef_closes_Clitheroe_restaurant/

Tris I did not eat at Calypso and I would not eat at Eanam Wharf now. Nothing to do with the jerk chicken.... more to do with the jerk.

Edited by thenodrog

I got a takeway from the Indian in Feniscowles last night mainly because it was convinient, and I have to say it’s the worst Indian takeway I’ve think I’ve ever had.

My guts are killing, the food was full of oil and the Dahl tasted ****.

This used to be good when it was Feniscowles Tandoori, but give the place a wide birth.

Off to the toilet, again :(

I got a takeway from the Indian in Feniscowles last night mainly because it was convinient, and I have to say it’s the worst Indian takeway I’ve think I’ve ever had.

My guts are killing, the food was full of oil and the Dahl tasted ****.

This used to be good when it was Feniscowles Tandoori, but give the place a wide birth.

Off to the toilet, again :(

Oh dear Gav I am sorry to hear that. ^_^

• Backroom

Off to the Villa in Clitheroe on Saturday for a mates 30th, there's about 45 of us so not expecting much and never rated it too highly in the past although some rave over it.

Not stricly on topic but we stopped at Mrs Dowsons for an ice cream on saturday, I had Pear Drop and Saspirella and they were bloody brilliant.

La Salsa in Darwen does really well....think it used to have a couple of week waiting list too!

Shows there is a good market around here for tapas.

I've been to La Salsa a couple of times now and both visits have been absolutely top notch. The last visit I was in a group of 10 from work and the service and speed was fantastic. Can't rate this place highly enough although I have never been on a Friday or Saturday night.

For any carnivores out there BEM Brasil in Manchester is well worth a visit. All you can eat Brazilian just off Deansgate. It's a bit like a BBQ delivered to your table - Lamb, Steak, Chicken, Sausages, Ribs etc all sliced straight from the skewer on to your plate. Not the cheapest but definitely worth the money. If you like a beer with your meal try the Brahma Brazilian bottled lager.

Went to the Bleeding Heart french restaurant near Farringdon tube in London on Tuesday night.

fantastic meal, great fois gras nibbles and the fish courses were sublime. The best was the fromage trolley...some of the best stinky french cheeses I have tried (and I am an English cheese fan).

PS. Someone else paid :P

Edited by preston blue

It's on my doorstep almost, but I had forgotten how good The Happy Village on Market Street chinese restaurant is. I went with the family on Friday night at 6pm, at which time we were the only diners. But within 5 minutes a few more had arrived, to take advantage of the 3 courses for £9.95 they offer Sunday to Friday. In truth the three course thing is a little misleading, as course number one is a choice of Hot and Sour or Chicken and Sweetcorn soup. There are then a second round of the usual spring rolls, prawn toast dim sum type bits-but they were all excellent, as was my hot and sour soup.

Then a choice of about half a dozen mains, with excellent fried rice. I had chicken with green pepper and black bean sauce, which was as good as I have had outside Manchester.

The building is a bit creaky, and not very large (more room upstairs) but the service was excellent, made a fuss of our kids, and prompt through out.

By the time we left at about 7.40pm the place was getting close to being full, which speaks for itself in this climate.

Really enjoyed it.

Driving past "Inside Out" in Walton-le-Dale I noticed a sign "For Auction". I presume the building and land, formerly known as Birch House, are up for auction.

The restaurant is still open and advertising but I wonder if they are feeling the current austerity and are about to go under.

Went there when it was birch house,portions fit for a dwarf.we just got back from sidari and went to an amazing taverna 4 times and the owner on last night gave us VIP treatment and a bottle of expensive red wine to take home.

Maybe Paul, Whittle Blue etc can add to this but after dropping someone off at Preston Station last week er indoors and myself turned up at the Dressers Arms for a steak night deal on our way home. A quite decent bottle of wine which the missus has seen on the shelves in Asda along with two of the tastiest and tenderest steaks that I have had in a while, all with the usual accompanyments and all for £11.95! On top of that I had a pint of 'Dressers Bitter' which was really quaffable too (I'm told since that they brew their own on the premises somewhere). I got change out of £2.50 for that too!

Places like this make me wonder why we are in the process of buying a new kitchen! Using a quick mental calculation and if other places were to provide meals at the same value, then for the cost of a new kitchen we could eat out every single night for the next 10 years!

Visited Darwen's latest gem last night, Tapizza. Tapas and pizza restaurant on The Green adjacent to the White Lion. We opted for the 6 tapas dishes (each) for £7.95 and with a shared garlic bread starter, 2 pints of Peronni, a glass of wine, 2 sweets and 2 coffees the bill came in at a very reasonable £38. The sweets are advertised as minute and come with a complementary coffee, so don't expect a decent sized portion. Nicely decorated, there are two rooms with around four or five tables in each, so it gets full pretty quickly which makes the atmosphere good. The food was very nice annd overall great value for money - 'Darwen, the dining capital of the north!'

• Like 2

Your kitchen is costing you 43 grand? :blink:

No. It was a random guesstimate. But I think you need to take into account that even when we stay home to cook we still have to buy the ingredients and pay for the leki/gas etc.

Edited by thenodrog

Haven't been in the Dressers for years. It's a bit far to walk and TBH when we used to go I was never that inspired by the place We like to walk to the pub for obvious reasons and so tend to use the Golden Lion which also does a steak night on Tuesday and Thursday at £13.95 for two including wine. It's very popular locally and wise to check tables are available.

I know it's a bit random but for anyone ging to The Hebrides I can thoroughly recommend these places:

Skye - Creelers, Broadford. Must book

Mull - Am Brillin

Lewis - Auberge Carnish. Booking a good idea

Barra - The Toffee Factory. Amazing sandwiches. Great tablet and toffee

Very happy memories of the Three Chimneys on Skye

Had this one in mind but as we stayed in Kyleakin it was at least a 90 mike round trip which sort of takes the edge off dinner.

Creelers is excellent. Tiny, tiny place run by an osteopathic who gave up Harley Street to start a restaurant. Great decision!!!!