BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Haven't been in the Dressers for years. It's a bit far to walk and TBH when we used to go I was never that inspired by the place We like to walk to the pub for obvious reasons and so tend to use the Golden Lion which also does a steak night on Tuesday and Thursday at £13.95 for two including wine. It's very popular locally and wise to check tables are available.

I know it's a bit random but for anyone ging to The Hebrides I can thoroughly recommend these places:

Skye - Creelers, Broadford. Must book

Mull - Am Brillin

Lewis - Auberge Carnish. Booking a good idea

Barra - The Toffee Factory. Amazing sandwiches. Great tablet and toffee

taxi?

Just got a longing for fish and chips in a bag, not these trays they have now, can you still get them or have health and safety banned them?

Long gone now I think. For good fish and chips I can recommend Brook Street chippy at Rishton though, ask Abbs!

I got a takeway from the Indian in Feniscowles last night mainly because it was convinient, and I have to say it's the worst Indian takeway I've think I've ever had.

My guts are killing, the food was full of oil and the Dahl tasted ****.

This used to be good when it was Feniscowles Tandoori, but give the place a wide birth.

Off to the toilet, again :(

TOTALLY AGREE, i got one about 6 months ago for a change. It was plain awful.

Stayed fairly local and with nothing arranged it was the Clog and Billycock last night. Nothing remarkeable except that this is still the single best place to drink Wainrights in the entire Kingdom!

However not wanting to be niggardly but I noticed on the bill thay had taken a 40p 'charity' donation. Now 40p is neither here nor there but it's my 40p and giving to charity should be my decision. Charity must always be voluntary and not to satisfy someones over inflated ego. If the management at Ribble Valley Inns want to donate to worthy causes (in this case apparently it's some youth club for up and coming rioters and looters in the Darwen St area...... btw wtf happened to bob a job and sponsored walks etc?) out of their profits then thats just fine and dandy but imo this is just a cheap publicity gimmick and one probably being done solely with the intention of picking up some future gong or similar.

Am I just being cynical? Whatever next time we choose to eat locally it'll likely back to the ever reliable Millstone..... the second best place to drink Wainrights btw.

Edited by thenodrog

......If the management at Ribble Valley Inns want to donate to worthy causes (in this case apparently it's some youth club for up and coming rioters and looters in the Darwen St area.....

You seem like a forthright person.

Perhaps an option the next time you go there is to say that you do not want to donate 40p to "some youth club for up and coming rioters and looters in the Darwen St area."

Just something for you to consider as an option. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers

the Eagle and Child at Staveley - top. Or, even the Hawkshead brewery shop at STaveley which is now doing top tapas. :D

Hey Rosie, me & mrs Whittle Blue were in both watering holes last Sunday. Only had drinks though. Damn good pie shop next door to the beer hall and a nice walk along the river too. :D

• Like 1

Deja vu by day in Kendal is absolutely brilliant and the Eagle and Child at Staveley - top. Or, even the Hawkshead brewery shop at STaveley which is now doing top tapas. :D

Is the Castle Dairy still going? I doubt the ladies who ran it 25 years ago will still be around never mind running a restaurant but it had an excellent if not rather 'quirky'reputation back then.... .

• Like 1

Deja vu by day in Kendal is absolutely brilliant and the Eagle and Child at Staveley - top. Or, even the Hawkshead brewery shop at STaveley which is now doing top tapas. :D

Oh for a pint of Lakeland Gold. Lovely!

Also partial to the red! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Six of us went to "The Clog & Billycock" today.

We were all impressed.

I was also impressed by the "beer boot" where you get a third of a pint each of Wainwright, Original & Bomber. What a cracking idea!

A good choice for car drivers.

Not sure if this has been reviewed before but I visited the Red Hot World Buffet on Deansgate in Manchester last Friday night. Here's the link: Red Hot World Buffet

First of all it's very popular so you have to book unless you're prepared to wait in a long queue. I rang on Tuesday and was told the only tables available on Friday were at 5pm and after 9pm. Considering the place is massive and must easily hold a few hundred people someone is raking it in!

The downside is that the size and amount of people make the place feel like a bit of a cattle market. If it's fine dining in a relaxing atmosphere that you're after then it's best to avoid this place but, for me at least, the sheer choice available more than makes up for this.

For £15 a head you can choose from a range of Chinese, Indian, Tex-Mex, Sushi, English & Italian food as well as the largest selection of desserts I've ever seen. As the name suggests it's a buffet so you can sample these dishes as little or often as you like, and some of the food, such as the chicken carbonara I had at one point, is cooked fresh in front of you on request.

Like any buffet the food isn't always of the best quality as it's often left on the hot plate for too long, but everything I had was tasty enough and, for the price, was brilliant value for money. I can't stress enough the choice available - you could go back many, many times and not eat the same dish twice. The biggest issue to be honest is the temptation to over-eat, like one of the friends I went with did who then could only manage to drink tap water in the pub we went to afterwards. Eh Chris?!

For a cheap night out though it really is well worth a visit.