BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Always liked Ramsay actually, and AB scouse eateries ? Could always travel north of the border for a deep fried twix and a coronary

His recipe for chillie con carne is excellent and easy to do and I've used it many times but I'd not invite him to share it. If his public personna is anything to go by I don't think we'd get on for very long.

Edited by thenodrog

Could always travel north of the border for a deep fried twix and a coronary

To be fair, we were north of the border this weekend, and last night (and breakfast this morning) ate in a real gem of a place. It's a bit of a trek and off the beaten track, but worth the journey.

Scottish restaurant of the year 2009, Good Pub Guide dining pub of the year 2010, Michelin guide, Good Food Guide 2012, etc etc - and in a stunning location.

6341521187_c33c716b33_m.jpg

To be fair, we were north of the border this weekend, and last night (and breakfast this morning) ate in a real gem of a place. It's a bit of a trek and off the beaten track, but worth the journey.

Scottish restaurant of the year 2009, Good Pub Guide dining pub of the year 2010, Michelin guide, Good Food Guide 2012, etc etc - and in a stunning location.

6341521187_c33c716b33_m.jpg

All those currugated rooves up there are mighty odd don't you think Tris? Literally thousands of em. Why is that?

Great thing about Scotland is that I bet the tablecloth was spotless and the cuttlery and plates likewise.

Always liked Ramsay actually, and AB scouse eateries ? Could always travel north of the border for a deep fried twix and a coronary

There is some fabulous fare to be had up here in the NE of Jockland, just avoid the ###### that the locals eat :rolleyes:

The "scouse" eateries was said with tongue firmly in cheek. As someone who spent 3 yrs at Uni in Liverpool and still a fairly frequesnt visitor I know of some great places in that neck of the woods.

• 2 weeks later...

Dales Butchers of Kirkby Lonsdale have a stall near the middle of the market hall, and everything I've tried from there has been top notch.

Personal favourite is their pork sausage with Mr Vikki's chilli jam ... taste sensation. The sort of thing you want to always have a stock of in the freezer ready for a sudden craving.

Pork and Black Pudding pie for me. Sensational!

Dales win 5 North West awards ... (LET)

Champion Pork Sausage, Lamb/Beef sausage, Hot Pie, Black Pudding and Pork Pie.

Went to El Rincon de Rafa in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. A little piece of Spain just off Deansgate. Owned by a chap who used to play for Stockport though can't say I've ever heard of him. Football's loss is definitely food's gain - cracking stuff.

Welcome to the El Rincon fan club MarkBRFC71. Further proof that this thread is better than any other online restaurant guide!

El Rincon (Spanish) is very good tucked away behind Deansgate and Quay Street. Its address is Deansgate but it is approached from behind via Artillery Street. Authentic, good atmosphere and excellent food. Hmmm, can feel a booking coming on......

A man of taste!

El Rincon is excellent - it also sells cruz campo blink.gif

First chance to get out for a while this weekend. Went here a few years ago, and returned this Saturday lunch time, the El Rincon De Rafa off Deansgate in Manchester. Subterranean and cosy, staffed by Spaniards, offering excellent seafood an a wide range of Tapas too. Fresh, quick, clean and courteous, would recommend to all for either a lunch time pit stop out shopping(as we did) , or for a proper meal in the evening.

Went to El Rincon de Rafa tonight before going to the MEN, have to say it's a great recommendation so thanks!

Time was short, but in 40 minutes we ate really well, and 7 tapas dishes washed down with 3 beers was well under 40 quid. Loved the footy memorabilia on the walls as well including the signed Maradona shirt (the owner used to play for Stockport it seems).

We'll be returning for a more leisurely visit in the very near future.

I went in there a while back on a bit of a do from work, we were in there for the afternoon on the tapas and red wine, I hear it is frequented by a lot of the Corrie stars and a few footballers like it.

It was my first taste of tapas and I must say I was very impressed. El Rincon has a great atmosphere too.

Tris didn't realise where you meant when we were chatting earlier this week. Stopprd there two or three years ago. You're quite right, really good.

There are many superb, very good value eating places in Scotland.

Edited by Paul

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it so far (I may have missed redaing a few posts in the 78 pages!!) but all four of the Ribble Valley Inns serve excellent fare - and they are hugely committed to local produce and properly seasonal menus. My personal favorite is their first outlet the Three Fishes at Mitton Fold, but the Clog and Billycock at Pleasington is always on top form. Unfortunately I've never made it to the Highwayman, but the Bull at Broughton is a regular stop off for me on my way back to Darwen from seeing my parents up in the North East.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it so far (I may have missed redaing a few posts in the 78 pages!!) but all four of the Ribble Valley Inns serve excellent fare - and they are hugely committed to local produce and properly seasonal menus. My personal favorite is their first outlet the Three Fishes at Mitton Fold, but the Clog and Billycock at Pleasington is always on top form. Unfortunately I've never made it to the Highwayman, but the Bull at Broughton is a regular stop off for me on my way back to Darwen from seeing my parents up in the North East.

Try the A66 instead of the A59 then. Ask em if they give any freebies for anyone with the full set.

Earlier this year I qualified for a long service award from work. We cashed it in on Friday night at L'Enclume in Cartmel.

The best restaurant meal I have ever eaten. 12 courses full of imagination, with tastes and textures that you just don't expect. Every ingredient that can be, is from their own local farm and garden.

I love Northcote and I love what Nigel Haworth has done there and I love his pubs, but this is a step up from Northcote ... and that is saying something. You just couldn't make a Northcote menu stretch to 12 courses and still be enjoyable. It's a different level of food at L'Enclume.

Cartmel is only an hours drive from Blackburn so if you are looking for a truly amazing meal for a special occasion, think about this place. The Good Food Guide 2012 rates it the second best restaurant in the UK.

Personally I'm just as happy at the Anaz in Darwen or El Rincon in Manchester, because they are brilliant restaurants and I will eat at both until the day I can't eat any more.

But God or fate has put L'Enclume a few miles up the road, so I'm just going to say it's absolutely amazing and encourage anyone who can justify it, to go and eat there.

DT review ... Observer review

Earlier this year I qualified for a long service award from work. We cashed it in on Friday night at L'Enclume in Cartmel.

The best restaurant meal I have ever eaten. 12 courses full of imagination, with tastes and textures that you just don't expect. Every ingredient that can be, is from their own local farm and garden.

I love Northcote and I love what Nigel Haworth has done there and I love his pubs, but this is a step up from Northcote ... and that is saying something. You just couldn't make a Northcote menu stretch to 12 courses and still be enjoyable. It's a different level of food at L'Enclume.

Cartmel is only an hours drive from Blackburn so if you are looking for a truly amazing meal for a special occasion, think about this place. The Good Food Guide 2012 rates it the second best restaurant in the UK.

Personally I'm just as happy at the Anaz in Darwen or El Rincon in Manchester, because they are brilliant restaurants and I will eat at both until the day I can't eat any more.

But God or fate has put L'Enclume a few miles up the road, so I'm just going to say it's absolutely amazing and encourage anyone who can justify it, to go and eat there.

DT review ... Observer review

You give continual good advice on here tris so L'Enclume is noted.

But given that any long service award for me will have to be given by myself and I'm a tight git have you a rough price guide? Or is it a case of if you have to ask you probably can't afford it?

Edited by thenodrog

• Backroom

You give continual good advice on here tris so L'Enclume is noted.

But given that any long service award for me will have to be given by myself and I'm a tight git have you a rough price guide? Or is it a case of if you have to ask you probably can't afford it?

Sorry to hijack, I've never eaten there I feel it would be a bit above my limited palate but menus here

http://www.lenclume.co.uk/restaurant.html

£69 - £89

As Tom said, it's 69 quid for 8 courses and 89 for 12 courses. And to quote Jay Raynor's Observer review "the wine list doesn't make you feel like you are being punished for a nameless crime" ... we got through a white and a red, both excellent and both under #25.

I suppose the interesting comparison is with other restaurants in the same class, ie those listed in the 2012 Good Food Guide top 10 - 8 of them lower down the list than L'Enclume.

The equivalent menu in Blumenthal's joint (1st place) will set you back #180. Gordon Ramsey (number 4) will take 125 quid for 7 courses, and down at number 6, Raymond Blanc's 9 courses will cost #150. Didn't even dare look at their wine lists! I suppose you pay a premium for a combination of TV appearances and location south of Watford Gap. Sat Bains in Nottingham is also a reasonable 89 for 10 courses and listed at 3 ... one to visit as well I think.

It was interesting overhearing other diners last Friday ... people had driven up from Bedford and Oxford just to eat in Cartmel. I guess it's worth the petrol money!

We also stayed over in one of the cheaper rooms which was 99 quid, but as you get to eat breakfast back in the restaurant again it's probably worth it. The pub a couple of doors down does B+B for 60 quid midweek / 90 quid weekends.

Edited by Tris

Was it better than Le Quartier Francais in Franschhoek Tris? We failed to get in when we there last weekend and had to settle for two other decent meals.

We did have a fantastic meal at a B&B in Hermanus last Thursday - £20 for three perfect courses and £15 for close to the best bottle of wine on the list, but that's South Africa for you. The B&B was probably the best place I've ever stayed in as well, for just over £100 for the night.

Trust you to come up with something posh Paul.

I prefer a pint of Thwaites Mild (Nutty Black) myself.

How is Ewood these days btw, enjoying the atmosphere? I must say that I haven't missed it one bit.

Nutty Black is good, but prefer Wainwrights, just a shame who makes it. ;)

P.S PB,are you on Deepdale Tuesday?

Edited by TAFKAP