BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

The Nabs Head link was from the previous owners and was an out-of-date web site.

It was also celery and watercress soup not leek and celery. I asked the landlord last night!!

you are correct... think it had celery in it too, just didn't get the billing.

My anti virus package doesn't like your link one bit!

Neither did mine!, and I am guessing nether did hers when she hit the page! However like the 'girl' she is she would have ignored that and left it up for me to look at and subsequently post a bogus link up on here ........ this was unfortunate, but not deliberate.

Edited by 3rdpillar

Nabs Head well that was an experience....

to start with the link that the girlfriend found coppied into my last post was bogus.

http://thenewnabshead.co.uk/

that the real site ... so she was somewhat taken for surprise when the meals she had planned from the menu didn't exist!

we setteled from the Christmas menu.

Creame of leek and cellary soup followed by the road Turkey dinner.

The soup was more gelatinous than creamy, not over seasoned .....bit bland.

Turkey dinner can't complain, Nicely cut turkey, good stuffing wrapped in bacon with chipolatas and tastey gravy.

Veg slightly overdone.

roast potatoes good.

for 9.99 and a quid for a coke.. good vfm...

take your grandmas and aunts, not your girlfriend!!!!!

Clocked the Flowers shirt.......good lads!

did you really mean that or was it a typo?

"Was that recently Vintage, or under the new ownership (last 3 months approx)?"

It was about 7 months ago so that would be the old owners! It was minging food, sticky table, dirty knives and forks and for a similar price I could have dined at the clog or oyster!

I am always up for giving new owners a chance and I do take people's opinions on here into consideration as they are usually spot on!

I will try soon and report back!

Edited by vintageadidas

"Was that recently Vintage, or under the new ownership (last 3 months approx)?"

It was about 7 months ago so that would be the old owners! It was minging food, sticky table, dirty knives and forks and for a similar price I could have dined at the clog or oyster!

I am always up for giving new owners a chance and I do take people's opinions on here into consideration as they are usually spot on!

I will try soon and report back!

Yep, that is the old owners. It is worth a try again, it will be interesting to get your opinion on whether it has changed for the better or not.

I will do PB!

In addition, the food was very very good at the restaurant below last weekend!

http://www.theshoulderofmutton.net

We also went with a groupon voucher (also on the website as is the menu)! Log fire, home cooked food and well worth the visit if over that way!

Yes give it another try Vintage, good pub grub and the ales not bad eaither.

As for the Shoulder of mutton, Debs has been harping on about that place for a while, think we'll make the trip over and give it a try.

the Should of Mutton looks good. The only problem is that the Missus is a veggie and wheat intolerant which restricts where I am allowed to go.

A veggie? Sounds like she doesn't like meat passing her lips pb.

........... Better take the girlfriend then. :tu:

Edited by thenodrog

The Chinese (sorry can't remember the name) next to The Guest House pub on Union Street off Lord Street. Try the pub.....great pint.

A veggie? Sounds like she doesn't like meat passing her lips pb.

........... Better take the girlfriend then. :tu:

Any 2nd hand used deals around that you can recommend please Gordon? Edited by preston blue

I'm going to Southport overnight next week and wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere to eat?

Depends what you want. The Vincent hotel on Lord Street is good, there are several reasonable Italians also on Lord Street on the opposite side from Vincent's.

My son lived in Southport for three years and we struggled to find anywhere really good. Vincent's was the best

Just got back from the Red Lion in Hawkshaw. I had the Black pudding with bacon, cheese and English mustard to start which was very nice. Then had the fish, chips and mush peas which was good. Some of the others had the plate pie which looked fantastic and they said it was very good. Others had pan fried chicken, steak and no complaints. My meal cost around £16, (although I wasn't paying). Portions were probably just right and I'd say fair value......although I wish I'd had the pie!!! All 8 of us enjoyed the meals, nobody left hungry (and there were some big lads eating). Beer was very good, JW Lees.

The venue is nice, very clean, well decorated, large car park to rear. Service was excellent.

Edited by 12milesfromewood

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Tempest arms at Elslack again at the weekend. Place was heaving despite it being just after Christmas a time when most pubs and restaurants are feeling the pinch. Food very good again. Learnt from last time to avoid starters and just go for mains with the option of a dessert if you're really hungry.

Went to the Tempest arms at Elslack again at the weekend. Place was heaving despite it being just after Christmas a time when most pubs and restaurants are feeling the pinch. Food very good again. Learnt from last time to avoid starters and just go for mains with the option of a dessert if you're really hungry.

Alternatively Claire my wife is petite and doesn't have a big appetite so she frequently orders just two starters. One to start and the other to come with the main dishes. For people who prefer savoury dishes to desserts it's not a bad tip for people who do not want to overeat or who may be on post Christmas diets.

We visited on the Friday inbetween Christmas and New Year - early evening, about five o'clock. The place was absolutely packed and the restaurant area was fully booked for the evening. I'll certainly try again, but I'll be booking next time!

On the flip side, we ate at the Craven Heifer at Kelbrook, which wasn't bad at all.

Yes, we tried booking and couldn't get a restaurant table but got one in the bar area straight away despite it being packed. think if you're booking you need to think well ahead. we've thought about the 2 starters too Gordon but then I look at the main courses and fancy lots of them too.

Went to the Wellsprings in sabden last night. Mexican / Spanish food. Nice atmosphere, brilliant starters , the main meal came and was also very very nice although the rice could have been better on the side. Sangria on tap too!!

Had quesadilla for starter and beef burrito for the main.

The missus had Chicken wings and chicken fajita.

Very generous portions.

Was a bit pricey, however it was two for one night so was very reasonable after discount. Well worth a visit.

Although next time I go will be on a clear sunny day in summer for the views. (Situated near the top of pendle hill)