BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Was in Sirloin on Saturday, enjoyed it. Had the trio of burgers, tasted well although wasn't spectacular.

Would like to try a steak there!

Also revisited Greens in Didsbury last night, loved it. Really enjoy it, still don't understand how the veggie black pudding is done! Had the halloumi for starter, spinach and ricotta pie and the chocolate and pecan for desert.

Would recommend everyone to try it if you get chance!

• Backroom

Where did you hear that abbey? I'd be very surprised as they are more often than not in town centres or retail parks

There was a fake rumour about one opening in darwen recently

Nandos is cr@p in my opinion, but it would be popular I'm sure.

Seconded. Vastly overrated.

Ate at Marco Pierre White steakhouse Liverpool last week, got a cracking deal £99 for a room at Hotel Indigo and a two course meal at the restaurant. Truly some of the best food I've ever tasted and only cost an extra £3 per person to add the extra course. Would definitely recommend.

Like a bit of Nandos, then again chicken and chips has always been popular.

Took my daughter for her 18th to Prezzo in New Brighton, impressive set up but the food was @#/? and took forever to arrive. Her 18th so she ordered a rosè and lemonade that was almost all lemonade, I took it back and err insisted they put wine in it. Avoid.

Like a bit of Nandos, then again chicken and chips has always been popular.

Took my daughter for her 18th to Prezzo in New Brighton, impressive set up but the food was @#/? and took forever to arrive. Her 18th so she ordered a rosè and lemonade that was almost all lemonade, I took it back and err insisted they put wine in it. Avoid.

I think it might depend on the branch you go to.

We went to one on Euston Road in London and found ourselves sitting next to a group of very loud customers for quite some time and were served with disappointing food;more recently we popped into the one by the Haymarket Theatre for a quick meal. The company might have contributed, but it was a much better experience.

Currently in Mister Thomas's Chop House in Manchester, fantastic

I went there just before Christmas and it is very good. Feels like you've stepped back in time 100 years (in a good way) - almost like being sat in an old underground railway station.

Re Nandos....it is what it is. Its competitors are the likes of McDonald's and Pizza Hut. I really like it since the veggie options are excellent (halloumi and portabello mushroom burger is amazing), and the sides are very good. I never go for a proper meal there it's just an alternative to other fast food places if I'm shopping or whatever. For that it does a very good job.

Edited by LeChuck

• 2 weeks later...

Pleasant without being outstanding. Service was good. Restaurant was well set out and spotless. Good choice of starters - often where i struggle - main courses plentiful without being too much on the plate. Home made chips. Desserts good. don't know about prices because it was a groupon or travelzoo offer but we very much enjoyed it and would go again.

Currently in Mister Thomas's Chop House in Manchester, fantastic

The steak and kidney pudding used to be great. A few years ago you could have a combo of a of a third steak and kidney pudding

, a third of their cheese and onion pie and a third of their corn beef hash ! I never tried it myself, although I've had each of those and they're delicious.

Be interesting to see how the Butlers Arms fares. A packed opening night last night for drinks and canapes only. Pool table and dartboard gone and it's been refurbished into yet another gastro pub. Nice job they've made too and it does appear to be well thought out and stylish BUT situated with the faltering Clog one mile away on one side and the success story that is the Oyster and Otter one mile away on the other it's taking on quite some task.

I'll give it a go soon I guess but whoever does the same cannot by definition also be dining at the same time in the clog, O&O, Millstone, Sirloin, Fieldens Mellor Brook, Myerscough, Royal oak, Mezzo's, Mr Freds etc etc etc all which are situated within a few short miles. It all reminds me of Blackburn 10 years ago when every pub closed became an Indian/Pakistani/Bangla restaurant until saturation point was reached and passed to no ones long term benefit.

Just a word of caution for the new owners (and my observations are without eating of course) but the menu did look a couple of quid too pricey for most dishes.

btw the grapevine is alive with whispers that the Warburton chappie who already has the Mitton Hall, Emporium, Shireburn and Lower Buck is moving in on the Spread Eagle at the top of Saccary lane. It's been a pig in a poke for years and desperately needs someone who knows what they are doing in there, but that again would only add to the congestion imo. Anybody heard anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Not the folks i was looking at last Sunday! I'm not young myself but these folk were seriously old. anyway food was good and service was pleasant and if you find yourself in clitheroe over a Sunday lunchtime it's worth a try

Edited by gumboots

Not the folks i was looking at last Sunday! I'm not young myself but these folk were seriously old. anyway food was good and service was pleasant and if you find yourself in clitheroe over a Sunday lunchtime it's worth a try

I once went in the restaurant on Lovely Hall Lane (closed now prob due to it's clientelle moving on as it were), Pendle View I seem to rem it being called, and it was just like that! I thought a chara load must have trapped up from the local nursing home except they had all driven there. The menu was godawful and straight of of a 50's ration book!

btw whats funny about fromage? :blink:

Edited by thenodrog