BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

• Backroom

Isn't Reshis what used to be Sukhis?

Not been since the change (was it the son that took over) but its always been fantastic and they treat you more like they want you there than Shajhan and Bukhara and can never do enough to help

One thing that did stick with me about Buhkara was that they put pickled onions on the Dupiaza. Everywhere else I've been to fries them to a crisp and sprinkles them on, so I found it a bit bizarre.

Indeed. Strange but it works imo. 'Dopiaza' translates as double onions if that helps.

5 star Hygeine. Voted best Indian in the NW by The Sunday Times. My work here is done.

We wish.

• Like 1

Resh is Sukhis son and has taken over the business. Trust me, it's well worth a visit.

I love Indian food and enjoy visiting different restaurants. After I've eaten though I always think that I should have eaten back at Resh's. It's not just the quality of the food but as touched upon in a previous post, the experience you have there that makes it so worth the time and cost.

Edited by old darwen blue

• Moderation Lead

What style of food do they do ?

Sorry, neglected to mention! American style bbq food. I had a sharing combo of wings to start, and a mixed platter for main-puller pork, spare ribs and beef brisket with chips.

They had some extra hot sauce as well-certainly left its mark!!!

I think their website has a menu on it- www.southern11.co.uk

Edited by K-Hod

We went to Heathcotes last night for the first time in a while. Got home from the game at 6 soaked to the skin and debated what to do about food before the cinema. The wife suggested Heathcotes for the early bird and with a quick change of clothes just made it for the 6.30 cut-off. The food was it's usual reliable quality and with early bird prices was good value too - £15.50 for 3 excellent courses. I can't remember ever having a bad meal there over the years.

As for Indians, we can never get beyond the Sangam in Lostock Hall. Doesn't look like it should be as good as it is, perched above the shops at Tardy Gate but it's never less than excellent. I find the fish deshi to be particularly outstanding.

Just to weigh in on the Indian debate, the Sharjan is for people that don't really do Indian food in my opinion, very predictable western themed menu, over priced and portentous, nothing wrong with that if thats your bag.

Bhukara's did knock the socks of anything else in the area until the health inspectors came to call, which is a shame really.

The Naga at abbey village is well worth a visit, a cut above anything Darwen has to offer in my opinion for the same price.

Has anyone eaten at the empress grill restaurant in the Winter Gardens in Blackpool? Thinking of booking in before seeing Bob Dylan in November.

• Backroom

Naga was very good when I went last year but not headed back for some reason, will have to make a point of going back

A friend last night was saying Mezzo was very good recently but I haven't been since it was Quattros

Unfortunately he died last year, but, as I said, did do quite a lot of other decent places around there with him. Somerset and Devon had loads of good restaurants that were very reasonably priced when we lived there.

My condolences. There are one or two nice places down there if being honest but they're all quite rural and it would be good if one or two better ones opened in the cities. Out of curiosity where did you live in Devon I was based just north of Crediton in a little village who's best amenity was a bus every tuesday and thursday.

Naga was very good when I went last year but not headed back for some reason, will have to make a point of going back

A friend last night was saying Mezzo was very good recently but I haven't been since it was Quattros

Surroundings better than the food imo Tom. But maybe my judgement is coloured cos whilst I'll cook Italian I'm not really an Italian restaurant devotee.

For distant members I was darn sarf this weekend and ate at the Saracens Head in Beaconsfield on Sunday night and I doubt I'll go there again... too pricey with below average service (for what I deemed a microwave menu including a tasteless burger on one of those infernal wood platters) however on the way home I lunched at the Three Pigeons in Banbury (as a preference to MWay services) and found the food remarkably good and the establishment itself delightful with good friendly service to match.

btw Served a couple of pints of Jennings Cumberland Ale by a regular visitor on here 'Sam' in the Harriers at High Wycombe! It's surprising who you meet round and about isn't it?

• Like 1

Had afternoon tea at Grays Court, York on Sunday. It's just down from the Minster by the Treasurer's House. Fabulous. Mrs P and I decided we should have a weekend there sometime. Checked the website, £234 per room B&B!!!!!

Good tea though. Highly recommended.

• Backroom

Afternoon tea seems to be all the rage at the minute, places must be making a killing on it

The wife and her mates are booked to go to the Garden Kitchen out clitheroe way for it next month, the gimmick is its served on mini picnic tables but essentially its a couple of sandwiches and a few small cakes for £25 a head

Wow Tom that is expensive. Have to admit afternoon tea has been a great favourite of ours for years - my cycling takes me to many excellent cafés.

£25 per head though? Sunday afternoon we had tea, sandwiches, cakes all beautifully presented for three people £18.50 total. It was sufficient we didn't bother with an evening meal. This was in a wonderful hotel which charged an eye-watering £234 per room - we won't be staying!!