BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

We went to Moor Hall about two years ago when he had one star. It was a midweek and a bit quiet so lacking a bit in atmosphere and service a bit stiff but the food was excellent, as good as I've eaten. The Barn is less formal although a step up from a good gastropub.

We've also been to both L'Enclume and the Bistro in Cartmel. L'Enclume irritated us - it felt like they were trying too hard to be edgy, especially with the wine flight. we much preferred the Bistro.

But still, despite Moor Hall probably having the edge on food quality, we prefer Northcote for the overall experience. Especially the wine events, although if and when they will start again, who knows.

22 minutes ago, only2garners said:

We went to Moor Hall about two years ago when he had one star. It was a midweek and a bit quiet so lacking a bit in atmosphere and service a bit stiff but the food was excellent, as good as I've eaten. The Barn is less formal although a step up from a good gastropub.

We've also been to both L'Enclume and the Bistro in Cartmel. L'Enclume irritated us - it felt like they were trying too hard to be edgy, especially with the wine flight. we much preferred the Bistro.

But still, despite Moor Hall probably having the edge on food quality, we prefer Northcote for the overall experience. Especially the wine events, although if and when they will start again, who knows.

You can’t beat a bit of Northcote . Just a good all round experience . I enjoy the obsessions . 
I do really like lenclume but I do think the wines can be a bit out there .  My gauge is use is the best I’ve had is direr the first inception of momofuku ko or arzak

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

I believe the restaurant is open again on Wednesday 29th of July with a 5 course gourmet menu (wine flight available). Presumably different lunch menu. 

1 hour ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I suspect you are more up on wine than me , I like the stuff and I can taste a good one but that’s about it . Northcote is a good example some good wines around 30 , I’ve paid double and not thought it was twice as good 

I'm not sure about that! I am interested and so have plenty of knowledge of different wines, but I'm still far from an expert. Still, the practising is always enjoyable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gav said:

This one really peaked my interest (normally the usual thing is a burger joint or something) so I went and clicked...

To me, a restaurant doesn't have plastic seating. That's a fast-food joint.

Good, I thought. I like fast food and there's only so many bacon double cheeses a man can have. So I clicked on the website menu...

Um. Restaurant prices.

Either be one or the other. If I want cheap food, I won't pay much. If I fork out, I want quality. Mangiamo's for me it is then...

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Riverside under the drip said:

This one really peaked my interest (normally the usual thing is a burger joint or something) so I went and clicked...

To me, a restaurant doesn't have plastic seating. That's a fast-food joint.

Good, I thought. I like fast food and there's only so many bacon double cheeses a man can have. So I clicked on the website menu...

Um. Restaurant prices.

Either be one or the other. If I want cheap food, I won't pay much. If I fork out, I want quality. Mangiamo's for me it is then...

One of the best meals I ever had was in a place that looked like this, Italian seafood place, just superb.

I do understand what you mean, but I don’t mind paying a bit more for fresh fish, not many good seafood restaurants around.

I wish them well.

14 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Neglected to mention, I went to Brizola (a Greek restaurant) in Clitheroe, a few weeks back. Was very good indeed. Fair pricing and good portions!

Soulvaki spice kebab , gyros bits on the plate , moussaki aubergine like a lasagne . Cheese feta cheese the salty one stiffo a stew and another one . Went to Greece in 20q6

37 minutes ago, Steven butter said:

Soulvaki spice kebab , gyros bits on the plate , moussaki aubergine like a lasagne . Cheese feta cheese the salty one stiffo a stew and another one . Went to Greece in 20q6

I think you wrote the post in the Greek language. ????.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

https://www.jororestaurant.co.uk/

I was fortunate enough to dine at Joro last night in Sheffield, superb food, no wonder the waiting list is over 2 months right now. Fine dining but in a relaxed atmosphere, staff very knowledgably and the food was stunning.

In the same building, this place, the cider hole and what a character that runs the place, chap from Brooklyn. 

http://istheciderholeopen.com 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/sheffields-first-ever-cider-centric-bar-the-cider-hole-to-open-in-shalesmoor-next-week-3374538

If you in the area its worth a visit for the cider bar alone, the building also has several other bars to choose from and if you plan ahead visit Joro, you won't be disappointed. 

• 8 months later...

I'd forgotten about this thread.

It was great to see 3 Lancashire pubs in the Top 50 gastropubs list this year. Parkers Arms at number 1, Freemasons at 3 and the White Swan at 7.

The Parkers Arms is a great quirky experience but for me the White Swan is the pick of them. Never had anything other than a superb meal there at not stupid prices.

23 hours ago, K-Hod said:

You wanna try getting in at the Parkers Arms, John. Thought I’d have a birthday meal there (May), in January, it was fully booked!

Maybe it's got harder recently Kenny. We last went around Christmas and got in at a few days notice.