BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

One of the big differences between the UK and the US. In the US, 150 miles is still considered local.

I have noticed over here that there seems to be less preservatives used in food. I haven't found my eating being any less (except maybe smaller restaurant portions), but I still lost about 10 pounds in 2 months. I think a lot of it is less "crap" being used in the processing of the food I'm eating.

For me the term "organic" has become catch all for better quality, taste and planet saving. It isn't neccessarily so and the whole issue of quality, sustainability, environment, climate change is extraordinarily complex. The difficulty I have with the whole thing is retailers are using a whole bunch of catchphrases, which actually mean nothing to persuade us to buy their product – fairtrade, organic, locally grown, traditional etc. I could bang on for hours. Consider two: where is the logic in buying organic French beans from Kenya in December? Sainsbury's promote locally grown produce. It's true it is grown locally, the phrase "locally grown" hides the fact it's shipped 100 miles to a distribution centre before being shipped back into the local area!!!! It's travelled 200 miles to get to the store but it was grown locally.

Great post Paul and I agree with the majority of your points - buying locally, in small quantities and often, preferably from as near to the grower as you can get, will generally be far superior. Even better, grow it yourself where you can.

I thought the same as you regarding air-freighted vegetables from Africa until I read Fred Pearce's book - Confessions of an Eco Sinner. The bookn is about travels to find our where his food and clothing comes from. On one trip he goes out to Kenya to see the green beans operation and comes back convinced he should buy more! Not enough space to go into the full reasons why but in a nutshell the extra carbon foorprint of the air freight is greatly outweighed by the benefits to the local communities that are growing the beans - it's proper development, allowing people who were previously at subsistence level to become self sufficient and set themselves on the road to proper economic development. There are much the same arguments to be made about fairtrade products as well. The majority of fairtrade foodstuffs on sale in the UK are crops that cannot be grown commercially in the UK and the fairtrade premiums provide a way for poor farming communities to get themselves out of poverty. I have met orange juice producers in Cuba so can be rather boring on the subject if you want!

At the other extreme, my wife treated me to dinner at Northcote Manor last night for my birthday - extraordinarily wonderful but not a regular event unless you have shedloads of money. Last night was a mystery gourmet and wine evening where we had to guess what we were eating and drinking - we were hopeless but it was terrific fun. We ate food we would probably never have tried if choosing from a menu but it was excellent - arctic char from Loch Ness, beef sweetbreads and goat from Cockerham!

The difficulty I have with the whole thing is retailers are using a whole bunch of catchphrases, which actually mean nothing to persuade us to buy their product – fairtrade, organic, locally grown, traditional etc.

I have to pull you up about these Paul...some things like that are buzzwords that can be plastered on packaging at will (traditional, local, fresh etc), but you can't just stick things like 'Organic' and 'Fairtrade' on there. If something claims to be organic then it has to meet certain standards, it's unfair to say it 'actually means nothing', and the same goes for Fairtrade. In fact, Fairtrade more-so because it's a far more worthy cause than organic.

I have to pull you up about these Paul...some things like that are buzzwords that can be plastered on packaging at will (traditional, local, fresh etc), but you can't just stick things like 'Organic' and 'Fairtrade' on there. If something claims to be organic then it has to meet certain standards, it's unfair to say it 'actually means nothing', and the same goes for Fairtrade. In fact, Fairtrade more-so because it's a far more worthy cause than organic.

I agree with you on Fairtrade. I had re-written this post several times in an attempt to be accurate and Fairtrade I meant to takeout but didn't. I'd agree with both you and 02g on Fairtrade. Regarding organic I understand what you say and it's true there are legal standards. I could show you produce sold as organic which does not carry Soil Association logos or the registered number or product grown on sites which is labelled as organic which the the Soil Association would have no reason to inspect!

I agree with you on Fairtrade. I had re-written this post several times in an attempt to be accurate and Fairtrade I meant to takeout but didn't. I'd agree with both you and 02g on Fairtrade. Regarding organic I understand what you say and it's true there are legal standards. I could show you produce sold as organic which does not carry Soil Association logos or the registered number or product grown on sites which is labelled as organic which the the Soil Association would have no reason to inspect!

Correct. Also given that a huge amount of organic food is imported how do the Soil Association checks work with that? We've recently seen the Melamine scandal in Chinese baby milk, Dioxins in Irish meat, God only knows the situation with anti-biotics used in meat production overseas (anti-biotic use banned in the UK and eu), widespread and continuing use of animal by-products in food production (Meat and Bone meal,l Blood meal etc) in many countries ... the USA included here despite recent headlines that nvCJD may still be a ticking time bomb.

The continuing farce with 'free range eggs' beggars belief! Kerzillions of eggs have been sold as 'free range' since the 1960's when intensive egg production by caged birds was first introduced despite laying hens rarely seeing the outside world and almost never a blade of grass.

The supermarkets screw down the prices so much that producers have in many cases no option but to cheat and then screw huge prices out of misguided consumers. The term 'Fair Trade' when uttered in the same sentence as the word 'supermarket' is laughable and should really start within our own shores. There is little 'fair' in the tactics used by supermarkets in bludgeoning their suppliers until the pips squeak and screwing ever increasing profits that do not make it to the shelf and the consumer but rather to the pockets of the shareholders. Le Chuck no offence meant but the naivety displayed in your post is staggering.

Edited by thenodrog

The supermarkets screw down the prices so much that producers have in many cases no option but to cheat and then screw huge prices out of misguided consumers. The term 'Fair Trade' when uttered in the same sentence as the word 'supermarket' is laughable and should really start within our own shores. There is little 'fair' in the tactics used by supermarkets in bludgeoning their suppliers until the pips squeak and screwing ever increasing profits that do not make it to the shelf and the consumer but rather to the pockets of the shareholders. Le Chuck no offence meant but the naivety displayed in your post is staggering.

Whilst you're right about the disgraceful way the major supermarkets deal with food suppliers in the UK, Le Chuck is absolutely right about FairTrade. This is a specific term which can only be used for products approved by the FairTrade Foundation. It relates to products from Third World countries which carry a guaranteed fixed premium over world market prices and also a small social premium, both of which are used for community development. I have been to Cuba to see the operation of FairTrade in orange juice production and am off to Southern India in four weeks to meet FairTrade tea producers. It's still relatively small scale in world market terms but it does work and should be supported.

You've managed to write a whole paragraph there without actually saying a single noteworthy thing, it's merely cynical tittle-tattle.

Anyone tried Bukhara near Samlesbury?

Indian Cuisine and must I say the service and the presentation of the food was amazing. Food was delicious and would recommend it to anyone, tad pricey but worth every penny. Thoroughly enjoyed the meal!

The best in this area by far.

I don't think it's expensive at all. 5 starters, 6 main courses, (no sweets / coffee) with bottled water / soft drink was £63 last time I went in Nov.

For the first one, how much am I looking to spend roughly per person?

I certainly wouldn't term it as expensive - the menu is varied so you could spend a lot if you splash out, but on average you're probably looking at £15-£20 ph for 3 courses and drinks.

The best in this area by far.

I don't think it's expensive at all. 5 starters, 6 main courses, (no sweets / coffee) with bottled water / soft drink was £63 last time I went in Nov.

I enjoyed one of the Chefs Specials that day, I think it is on the menu now, but a Lamb Biryani with a Pastry over it, compliment each other perfectly. Any favourite dish Gord?

Guest Kamy100

Bukhara is one of the best Indian Restaurants that I have ever eaten (and I have eaten in them all over the world). In terms of the north west it ranks up there with the likes of East Z East and Akbars (both in Manchester). Service and food quality is superb. My personal favourite is the Roast leg of lamb which has to be ordered 72 hours in advance.

Dependent on what you go for it can be pricey but then again there is no substitute for quality.

I enjoyed one of the Chefs Specials that day, I think it is on the menu now, but a Lamb Biryani with a Pastry over it, compliment each other perfectly. Any favourite dish Gord?

This....

Afghani Lamb strtrs

then this for main..

Gosht Alu Bukhara [MEDIUM / HOT] Lamb cooked with onions, tomatoes and a spicy plum sauce

But having tasted other dishes I could quite easily select something else.

btw I've seen that leg of lamb being served on the next table Kamy. It certainly looks impressive.

Bukhara is one of the best Indian Restaurants that I have ever eaten (and I have eaten in them all over the world). In terms of the north west it ranks up there with the likes of East Z East and Akbars (both in Manchester). Service and food quality is superb. My personal favourite is the Roast leg of lamb which has to be ordered 72 hours in advance.

Dependent on what you go for it can be pricey but then again there is no substitute for quality.

Indeed you are right Kamy. Bukhara was deemed too far to go for a 'quickie' take away tonight so Shad house was selected instead. Tasty enough but the food was absolutely swimming in oil and the lamb was tough enough to be old sheep imo.

First chance to get out for a while this weekend. Went here a few years ago, and returned this Saturday lunch time, the El Rincon De Rafa off Deansgate in Manchester. Subterranean and cosy, staffed by Spaniards, offering excellent seafood an a wide range of Tapas too. Fresh, quick, clean and courteous, would recommend to all for either a lunch time pit stop out shopping(as we did) , or for a proper meal in the evening.

Guest Kamy100
Indeed you are right Kamy. Bukhara was deemed too far to go for a 'quickie' take away tonight so Shad house was selected instead. Tasty enough but the food was absolutely swimming in oil and the lamb was tough enough to be old sheep imo.

Next time you are after a "quickie" takeaway try Naafiah (details below) they are on Victoria Street and food quality is normally very good. They have a good choice (chicken karahi and peri peri chicken are excellent) and delivery is normally within 1 hour.

Naafiah Blackburn

Next time you are after a "quickie" takeaway try Naafiah (details below) they are on Victoria Street and food quality is normally very good. They have a good choice (chicken karahi and peri peri chicken are excellent) and delivery is normally within 1 hour.

Naafiah Blackburn

Thanks Kamy I will look it up.

btw is that the double fronted restaurant 50 yards past the Shandar towards Bastwell? If so I have had a take away from there. Went in the excellent Barzooka for a 'quickie' of a diffrent kind whilst I waited too.

Edited by thenodrog