BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

GG - I was cycle touring in Argyll and the Hebrides (started in Barra, finished in Stornoway) so I wasn't doing a lot of fine dining. Generally I stopped at cafes / pubs for lunch and then stayed overnight in bunk houses or hostels, in the evenings I was cooking myself pasta or other heavy carbohydrate food. I can give some general observations, it soon became obvious the places doing home / locally prepared food where those with very limited menus while those with extensive menus where opening tins / packets. Foods I really enjoyed are a bit obvious but were local cheeses, salmon (Salar and smokey flaked are superb), sea trout, kippers, home made soups, tablet, crowdie, Stornoway black pudding and also white pudding which is quite different to the black. Local eggs are superb fried or scrambled. The water is amazing, in a few places the colour of cider.

Places I can remember by name are the cafe at the Hebridean Jewelery shop at Iochdar, The Lobster Pot cafe in the Ardmore Stores on Berneray did good tea and cakes and unusually did an evening meal, rather bizarre menu of three standard curries or local kippers which were very good. The Hebridean Smokehouse, North Uist, does very good smoked local produce and has a shop which is quite pricey. If you go a few miles north on the same road you'll come to a good cafe which has lots of products from the Hebridean Smokehouse on the menu which means you can try them as a meal. Also you can get smoked salmon lunch for £6.95 while the Smokehouse was charging £7.95 for a 100 gram pack!!!! If you go to Tarbert, Harris don't go in the first cafe on the right opposite the Tourist Info centre - awful and all tinned.

All the Co-ops stocked Indonesian farmed prawns - strange!

The Hebrides are the most beautiful place I have been, fingers crossed you get the weather. Be aware much of the islands are extremely remote, a village might be 3-4 houses. If you want some other info let me know.

Thanks for that Paul, much appreciated. :tu:

Booths had samples of The Smelly A'peth (Saddleworth Cheeses) on the weekend, and got myself a slab. A truly delicious medium blue cheese. Small sample on some poached chicken breast, with new potatoes, leeks and mushrooms. Then on a poppy seeded biscuit later.

Washed down with a 2005 Rioja.

Who needs dining out.

On that theme just had local roast lamb (from two fields away!), home grown potatoes, carrots, French beans and home made red currant jelly - made from our home grown red currants!

Spent the weekend harvesting fruit and making, red currant jelly, red currant gin (hic!), gooseberry jam, blackcurrant jam, jelly and cordial plus got a freezer full of home grown soft fruits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Preston today looking at new kitchens (I've only got 2 of those at the minute Jim. Could do with another in the west wing :P ). Anyway er indoors and myself dressed rather casually and unencumbered by any parasitical offspring decided to eat over there rather than come home and cook. Influenced by good reports on this board I took her to 'Pond' on Cannon Street. An excellent menu and the excellent Peroni on draft to boot. ;).

Had between us the new potatoes, goats cheese and caramalised red onion with a peruvian lamb dish, scallops in chilli and a mushroom dish. Superb fare. If anybody goes choose what you like but do order that potato dish! It's spectacular.

Lovely early evening dining experience which we will definitely repeat with friends, but next time we have decided we would likely get there and back by train in order that I could fully do justice to that Peroni. ;)

• Like 1

Glad to hear that Duk / Pond are still offering high quality and tasty food! I went to Pond a few months back and i only had one criticism of it.

They need bigger tables. 4 of us ordered around 12 dishes. We had to put some on the floor.

I went to Parmesan and Pepper (Abbey Village)last Sunday. Was lovely and a real bargain.

Edited by vintageadidas

Glad to hear that Duk / Pond are still offering high quality and tasty food! I went to Pond a few months back and i only had one criticism of it.

They need bigger tables. 4 of us ordered around 12 dishes. We had to put some on the floor.

I went to Parmesan and Pepper (Abbey Village)last Sunday. Was lovely and a real bargain.

I'd go with that criticism. Candles and menu's were first off the table.

As for Parmesan and pepper.... I've never been in but I drive past frequently and imo it doesn't help itself. It always looks dirty and dingy on the outside.

Real long shot this one but may as well let you all know. Anyone finding themselves holidaying on Barra, Outer Hebrides must visit the sandwich shop slightly to the right of the harbour as you look out to sea. Here you will be able to buy the finest sandwich you will ever eat. They only do four or five flavours, I had flakey smoked Salar salmon with crowdie(this is like cream cheese but with bits that have turned to actual cheese - best I can do) on wholemeal. It comes with a seperate salad and potato crisps. Now you may think £5.95 is a lot for a sandwich but I can assure you it isn't. Warning though - you may never be able to eat another sandwich without recalling this one, and you'll never buy a Subway again!!!!!

They also do the best tablet I've eaten, and I'm a connoiseur! Can't remember the shop name but but intend to find out as they Mail Order the tablet.

If you ever make it to Boston, Mass, go to Sam Lagrassas. I still salivate thinking about their sandwiches. Really wish I could find a good chicken salad sandwich around here (by chiken salad, think egg salad with chicken instead of egg).

For London, my volleyball group goes to a different ethnic restaurant each month. Last month was hosted at Cafe Wanda in Clapham by a Polish friend. It was one of the better meals the Mrs and I have had since moving here: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2954.htm

If you ever make it to Boston, Mass, go to Sam Lagrassas. I still salivate thinking about their sandwiches. Really wish I could find a good chicken salad sandwich around here (by chiken salad, think egg salad with chicken instead of egg).

For London, my volleyball group goes to a different ethnic restaurant each month. Last month was hosted at Cafe Wanda in Clapham by a Polish friend. It was one of the better meals the Mrs and I have had since moving here: http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2954.htm

Have you tried Mangal Ocakbasi in Dalston? Authentic Turkish, grilled lamb is fantastic!

Don't send your kids to school in Harrow unless you are willing for them to be subject to the products of barbaric slaughter. Thin end of the wedge as I've warned. Out standards are slipping, our humane slaughter methods are being compromised and our way of life is being eroded bit by bit.

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2010/08/06/halal-only-school-dinners-incur-parents-rage/?icid=main|uk-ws-bb|dl7|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.co.uk%2F2010%2F08%2F06%2Fhalal-only-school-dinners-incur-parents-rage%2F

Edited by thenodrog

• Backroom

I'm home alone tonight and fancy a kebab and a beer while the footy is on.

Anyone recommend anywhere that delivers to rishton I'm bored of my local ones.

Heard good things about omars in accy

Went to the Coach & Horses at Bolton by Bowland this afternoon. Traditional looking country pub from the outside but more of a restaurant feel inside. Very nice it was too and one we'll be visiting again. Both me and Mrs CLB went for the roast ham bubble and squeek, with the desserts being bread & butter pudding and strawberry crumble. Two pints of bitter, two large glasses of rose wine, 42 quid. About right for this standard of fayre in the Ribble Valley. Definitely recommend it.

Well if we are doing overseas.........if you find yourself in the Nice area try the restaurant at Eden plage, Cap D'Ail. There are two, one very expensive called La Mala and the other simply called Eden. The beach is superb, small and can get busy, with excellent swimming. We went to Eden restaurant as a party of 10, had everything we wanted, including wine and aperitifs for 371 euros, which i thought very good value.

Be aware parking is a nightmare and you may have a long walk to the beach. Take the Bas Corniche through Cap D'Ail, direction Monaco, watch for very small sign to Eden plage on right and follow. My suggestion is arrive around five, couple of hours on beach and then eat. Tends to be quiet in evenings due to parking issues.

Well if we are doing overseas.........if you find yourself in the Nice area try the restaurant at Eden plage, Cap D'Ail.

Nice... Went to a birthday celebration there a couple of years ago and dined for the main event at 'La Petit Maison'. This place is supposedly Sarkozy's favourite restaurant and apparently a haunt of the rich and famous on the Cote d'Azur. An unusual dining experience, French Tapas would be the best way to describe our meal. Lost count of the number of courses that were served, all superbly cooked and presented.

Mighty glad that I wasn't picking up the tab and whilst very memorable I'm not sure that I'd relish a similar dining experience again. Rather too complicated and too pretentious for us Lancashire wallers. Gastronomic overkill. More dining experience than celebration imo.... alternatively and before anybody else says it, I think I may just have described a case of putting pearls before swine. ^_^

La Petit Maison.........hmmmm, said to be very, very good. I've been to many lovely restaurants in Nice, most of which I can't recall the names as they are spread over 20 years or more. One memorable experience was a truly traditional Bouillabaisse (fish stew which takes 24 hours to prepare) in the smallest back street cafe one could find. We ordered the day before for 12, halfway through the meal I noticed there were no Visa signs in evidence!!!!!!! Twelve fully grown adults couldn't muster enough cash to cover the bill. The very large Spanish lady who cooked for is made sure we all stayed while one person went to find a hole in the wall!!

After moving back to blighty from Seoul last year, I've been missing the food over there a lot!

I finally managed to go and try the Koreana, a Korean restaurant off Deansgate.

I didn't know what to expect really, as I thought it might be some kind of toned down fusion restaurant. However my Korean gf and I were nicely surprised - this is as authentic as it gets. And two course for a tenner its decent value.

I had the Dwegi galbi (sweet marinated ribs) and Dolsot bibimbap (rice, beef and veg all mixed in spicy sauce in a hot stone bowl) and she had chicken and potato in sweet sauce and a beef dumpling soup.

If you've never tried Korean before, I'd recommend this place for your first experience. It cleaner and less greasy than a Chinese, but unlike Japanese food, has some really big spicy flavours.

After moving back to blighty from Seoul last year, I've been missing the food over there a lot!

I finally managed to go and try the Koreana, a Korean restaurant off Deansgate.

I didn't know what to expect really, as I thought it might be some kind of toned down fusion restaurant. However my Korean gf and I were nicely surprised - this is as authentic as it gets. And two course for a tenner its decent value.

I had the Dwegi galbi (sweet marinated ribs) and Dolsot bibimbap (rice, beef and veg all mixed in spicy sauce in a hot stone bowl) and she had chicken and potato in sweet sauce and a beef dumpling soup.

If you've never tried Korean before, I'd recommend this place for your first experience. It cleaner and less greasy than a Chinese, but unlike Japanese food, has some really big spicy flavours.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go.

• 1 month later...