BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Don't bother with Brown's at Coventry (if you happen to in Coventry of course). The food has got all average, and they play the music a bit too loud. There is a great place in the Bagington area near the airport, which serves fantastic food and beer. It's called the Bagington Arms I think. If it is an Indian you're after, Turmeric Gold is very good, and Ally's Balti in Earlsdon is a good if you're having a Saturday night out. Then you can either visit The Craven Arms, also in Earlsdon, or Whitefriers in the city centre for a good beer.

How bizarre I never thought I would be reading about restaurants in Coventry on here!!!

I don't even class Browns as a restaurant! I know it serves food and that probably qualifies it to be one but its more of a wine bar. A very selective wine bar - depends on what you look like as to whether you get in or not!

Never been to the Bagington Arms Ill have to find it! The Old Mill over that way serves good pub food.

As for Curry - Rupali in Tile Hill is very good but the best place is heading into Birmingham on the A45 called Jilabi! Its small, friendly and serves lovely curry!

I might have been thinking of The Old Mill Hannah. It's a white sort of mock Tudor building, and it is quite cosy inside without being claustrophobic. From what I can remember the menu is on a big blackboard near the bar. Went to Coventry University, so that's how I knew about it. Two of my tutors used to go to Brown's a lot, as did a good friend of mine Kris Connelly. It is more of a trendy wine bar type place, but it used to pretty good food when my sister was at Coventry Uni in the late 1990's.

I forgot about Wing Wah's. It's a massive Chinese buffet that is pretty good, although the food can be a bit too salty for anyone under the age of 70. It's in Coventry on the A45. I warn you though, it is not the place to go for lunch if you have a hangover.

And there is a noodle bar in that square around Little Park Street. Can't remember what it is called, but that is good.

Edited by Billy Castell

I might have been thinking of The Old Mill Hannah. It's a white sort of mock Tudor building, and it is quite cosy inside without being claustrophobic. From what I can remember the menu is on a big blackboard near the bar. Went to Coventry University, so that's how I knew about it. Two of my tutors used to go to Brown's a lot, as did a good friend of mine Kris Connelly. It is more of a trendy wine bar type place, but it used to pretty good food when my sister was at Coventry Uni in the late 1990's.

I forgot about Wing Wah's. It's a massive Chinese buffet that is pretty good, although the food can be a bit too salty for anyone under the age of 70. It's in Coventry on the A45. I warn you though, it is not the place to go for lunch if you have a hangover.

Sounds like the Old Mill!! It's part of a chain - the name of which escapes me at the moment but The Bear in Berkswell is part of it as well.

Browns food is like a canteen with a service hatch!

Don't send people to Wing Wahs - It is less than 5 minutes from where I live and its like a canteen! If you want to eat lots then go there I suppose but I wouldn't go there for quality chinese food! It's not even particularly cheap.

Coventry lacks nice restaurants. The Gallery in Earlsdon was nice last time I went but you pay for that privelege. Saxon Mill heading into Warwick is nice

Why have I just typed all that - Who in their right mind would come to Coventry for dinner!!!

I would! But then my sisters live there. Oh, by the way Hannah if you move house Newsome Vaughan are very good solicitors. Especially Lucie Byron.

If you live in Bedford then you're sorted for Italian food. There is one on Commercial Road that was good, although I recommend you avoid the local pubs as they can be scary.

I also forgot about the best Thai food I've ever had. In Wellington, there is an indoor market not far from the dockside area, and in there is a small family run Thai restaraunt. It is fantastic

How bizarre I never thought I would be reading about restaurants in Coventry on here!!!

I don't even class Browns as a restaurant! I know it serves food and that probably qualifies it to be one but its more of a wine bar. A very selective wine bar - depends on what you look like as to whether you get in or not!

Never been to the Bagington Arms Ill have to find it! The Old Mill over that way serves good pub food.

As for Curry - Rupali in Tile Hill is very good but the best place is heading into Birmingham on the A45 called Jilabi! Its small, friendly and serves lovely curry!

Try the Royal on Stratford road, biggest chappati's in the world! and the curry is very good

I went to the Clog and Billycock last night.

Very nice inside, they have a mixture of chairs at the tables for an eclectic look which really worked. Black and white pictures and canvases on the wall of the local suppliers was a nice touch.

Menu - pretty good, something for everyone.

Food - 4 of us dined, 3 had the haddock, homemade chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce - was excellent. The fish was massive and very fresh. The other person had a homemade burger which came with homemade chips, a selection of relish and was served on a large wooden board.

No specials on as it was the opening night. Have a look at the menu on the ribble valley inns website.

Price - Not cheap for pub grub to be honest but it was nice. 4 meals, 3 desserts (homemade ice-cream) and 4 drinks = £80

Very nice inside, they have a mixture of chairs at the tables for an eclectic look which really worked. Black and white pictures and canvases on the wall of the local suppliers was a nice touch.

Food - 4 of us dined, 3 had the haddock, homemade chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce - was excellent. The fish was massive and very fresh. The other person had a homemade burger which came with homemade chips, a selection of relish and was served on a large wooden board.

No specials on as it was the opening night. Have a look at the menu on the ribble valley inns website.

Price - Not cheap for pub grub to be honest but it was nice. 4 meals, 3 desserts (homemade ice-cream) and 4 drinks = £80

Crikey you were quick off the mark!

I must say I sneaked in late on for a quick peek and a problem as with all these Thwaites bars (Mytton Hall and 3 Fishes etc) is that the brewery appears to be attempting to force the dreadful Warsteiner into the pumps that should /used to be occupied by Carlsberg Export, (Carling not really being an option). It's plain that Carlsberg Export costs the brewery a lot more and therefore less profitable but Warsteiner is poor and isn't even classed as lager it's a bloody beer. On the plus side they have Wainwrights on.

Crikey you were quick off the mark!

I must say I sneaked in late on for a quick peek and a problem as with all these Thwaites bars (Mytton Hall and 3 Fishes etc) is that the brewery appears to be attempting to force the dreadful Warsteiner into the pumps that should /used to be occupied by Carlsberg Export, (Carling not really being an option). It's plain that Carlsberg Export costs the brewery a lot more and therefore less profitable but Warsteiner is poor and isn't even classed as lager it's a bloody beer. On the plus side they have Wainwrights on.

They have some good 'pop' though, like the old traditional type-ones :lol:

Agreed about the Warsteiner pesh tho.

Thinking of going to Strada in Manchester this weekend, has anyone been there before?

Went to Strada in Manchester the week before it opened. They were looking for volunteers to test the chefs, waiters etc. So you got a free two course meal and only had to pay for your drinks.

It was very good as well - even better when you're not paying!

Going to the Marco Polo (Mediteranean) tonight - its just taken over from the little elephant thai place in darwen. Review to follow.

Well.....

Speed of Service - 2/10

Organisation - 1/10

Food - 5/10

Price - 5/10

Unless it improves alot asap then it wont last long. Must of seen 6 or 7 seperate tables complain.

Dined there myself last night.

1. Food was good if a taj overpriced. No better than the excellent but much smaller Millstone at Mellor in that respect.

2. They really need to do away with using breadboards as plates. I'm sure that the novelty has worn off and I always suspect the hygiene levels.

3. They do need Carlsberg Export on tap. A quality restaurant chain should not be serving natts p1ss to the more discerning lager drinkers.

4. It's going to be as much a social experience than an eaterie. I couldn't move for people that I know but haven't seen for ages.

Enjoyable night all the same. Packed out too, so whether that was people 'giving it a go' or genuine regular diners of the future only time will tell. I assume competitors that will feel the effects of any success at the Clog will include the Millstone, Thyme and Inside Out..... and to an extent the Three Fishes!

Seeing as we're going down the pubs which do good food route, as well as pure restaurants ...

Great eating pub here - Eagle & Child, Staveley - only an hours drive from Blackburn just off the A591 near Kendal.

Had lunch there yesterday, they do a choice of half a dozen or so mains for just a fiver in addition to the normal menu. Very good.

There are two other great dining pubs within a few minutes of Staveley - The Water Mill at Ings, and Queens Head at Troutbeck.

Sunday roast's in theno :D

2836136137_db5c2f6aca_m.jpg

Anyone got any views on the best local butchers?

Supermarkets have seen most town butchers off unfortunately Tris. Don't go to any of those for fresh meat. Best butcher by most accounts is Roy Porter at Chatburn but it's a bit of a trek unless you are passing that way. Failing that decent butchers proliferate along the A59 at Samlesbury. Huntleys, Fairfield Farm and George Sharps in Mellor are all good. (btw Huntleys also has a good food hall and a superb fishmonger). Closer to home I'm sure that you'll get good meat at Darwen and Blackburn markets. Farmers markets are usually good but I find em a bit expensive and the Hoghton tower one is only every month or so.

If you want lamb or beef in quantity for the freezer lots of local farmers will supply you and even organic is available locally.

Good hunting

Edited by thenodrog

Supermarkets have seen most town butchers off unfortunately Tris. Don't go to any of those for fresh meat. Best butcher by most accounts is Roy Porter at Chatburn but it's a bit of a trek unless you are passing that way. Failing that decent butchers proliferate along the A59 at Samlesbury. Huntleys, Fairfield Farm and George Sharps in Mellor are all good. (btw Huntleys also has a good food hall and a superb fishmonger). Closer to home I'm sure that you'll get good meat at Darwen and Blackburn markets. Farmers markets are usually good but I find em a bit expensive and the Hoghton tower one is only every month or so.

If you want lamb or beef in quantity for the freezer lots of local farmers will supply you and even organic is available locally.

Good hunting

Cheers for that. Was aware of the farm shops, but not the Chatburn and Mellor butchers. Will bear them in mind.

When we moved to Darwen, was thinking we'd support the market. However I'm not convinced, especially by the quality and freshness - I just don't think they have the footfall to shift enough produce.

I went to the fishmonger one Monday at Darwen market for a couple of tuna steaks, they looked crap so I asked what day they'd been delivered - they'd been sat there since the previous Wednesday.

We buy our eggs from a farm just past Blacksnape which are great (and cheap), but unfortunately within a convenient radius for food shopping, Sainsburys beats the market on most other stuff (except bread from local bakers).

Hence the initial question, because I'd rather buy good quality local meat.

Edited by Tris