BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Went to the Clog & Billy last night. They don't take bookings, we were told just to turn up. We knew when we drove on to the car park it was going to be full. Packed to the rafters more like it with a one and a half hours waiting time. :mellow:

Never mind, we headed for the Butlers which was excellent. We've been there before once or twice and it seems like their menu has been 'upped' to more resemble that at the Clog. It's a very good alternative if the Clog is clogged.

Will try the Clog & Billy in a few weeks or perhaps go mid week when it'll be a little less busy.

Went to the Clog & Billy last night. They don't take bookings, we were told just to turn up. We knew when we drove on to the car park it was going to be full. Packed to the rafters more like it with a one and a half hours waiting time. :mellow:

Never mind, we headed for the Butlers which was excellent. We've been there before once or twice and it seems like their menu has been 'upped' to more resemble that at the Clog. It's a very good alternative if the Clog is clogged.

Will try the Clog & Billy in a few weeks or perhaps go mid week when it'll be a little less busy.

Nice to hear a good report about the Butlers cos they do have a battle on.

I went to the Millstone at Mellor last night for a retro change from the Clog and Billycock where just about every buggger is going at the moment! (Truth is I feel a bit of sympathy for the other excellent eateries in the area now that Northcotes 'playground bully' has opened.) Excellent bar food yet again. This place is vastly underrated and whilst the Clog is good, professional and currently in vogue socially I still cannot find better and more reliable local fare than the Millstone.

I'd like, if I may, to name and shame 67 restaurants and takeaways across Blackburn and Darwen, who were all warned last year to take food hygiene more seriously.

Please avoid the following premises in Blackburn and Darwen - which have all been rated as "bad" for food hygiene.

That story is 12 months old.

Those establishments may well have improved their standards. Very poor form to slag them off again now without having real up tp date facts.

Nice to hear a good report about the Butlers cos they do have a battle on.

I went to the Millstone at Mellor last night.......

Hehe, we nearly went there but decided on the Butlers instead when the Clog was full. It was our 29th anniversary and we actually had our reception at the Millstone all those years ago. :lol: Good to hear it's still a fine place.

Hehe, we nearly went there but decided on the Butlers instead when the Clog was full. It was our 29th anniversary and we actually had our reception at the Millstone all those years ago. :lol: Good to hear it's still a fine place.

This is spooky CLB... I had my wedding reception elsewhere but spent my wedding night at the Millstone.

Thought I was being sneaky and secretive but was grassed up by the only person I trusted with that info and woke up to find my car had been 'decorated' during the night.

You reading this Wiggy? :P

Edited by thenodrog

Does anyone knows which restaurants serves "Lancashire Hot Pot" ?

and I'd like to know any other Lancashire traditional food....

Hot pot? Oddly along with tripe, black pudding and mutton dishes you'll find that only at the the more expensive ones! :rolleyes:

You'll find all 3 on the menu at the Clog and Billycock.

Edited by thenodrog

This is spooky CLB... I had my wedding reception elsewhere but spent my wedding night at the Millstone.

Thought I was being sneaky and secretive but was grassed up by the only person I trusted with that info and woke up to find my car had been 'decorated' during the night.

You reading this Wiggy? :P

Not guilty Guv! B)

Best butchers is Ken Bamber at Higher Walton on the way into Preston. Not far from Blackburn.

11 Cann Bridge St, Higher Walton, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 4DJ, United Kingdom - 01772 335181‎

I think you might be right. Picked up a rabbit on the way home from work, latterly of the Hoghton area, #3.50 jointed in front of my eyes and now ready to stew. Happy Friday ...

:wub:

Edited by Tris

Cheers Phil, I'll bookmark that for future reference. The Guardian is usually spot-on with its local reviews (The Guide supplement is wonderful), so that article shouldn't be too far wide of the mark.

Edited by LeChuck

Two more fans of the Clog and Billy after eating there tonight - great food, efficient service, not too expensive - 8/10. And we bumped into another MB regular who had popped in to check it out and I think made a booking for the weekend ...

Two more fans of the Clog and Billy after eating there tonight - great food, efficient service, not too expensive - 8/10. And we bumped into another MB regular who had popped in to check it out and I think made a booking for the weekend ...

I bumped into another member of long standing (that I've not seen since Bayer away) in there Tues night celebrating a very important birthday.

btw Tris the Clog and Billy only accept bookings for parties of 6 or more. Everybody else just has to wait their turn for a table in the bar. ;)

I bumped into another member of long standing (that I've not seen since Bayer away) in there Tues night celebrating a very important birthday.

btw Tris the Clog and Billy only accept bookings for parties of 6 or more. Everybody else just has to wait their turn for a table in the bar. ;)

Yep - partly why we went midweek. And the person we met had put together a party of 6 for that very reason!!

Yep - partly why we went midweek. And the person we met had put together a party of 6 for that very reason!!

........and still couldn't get a reservation so it's looking like Heathcotes or Thyme on Saturday. The manager at the Clog suggested we'd have to wait at least an hour on Saturday, though he did promise "you will be fed" - something I'm not prepared to do!.

Good to see you both last night, the food looked great!

This might interest a few people. It's a Diners Club that you sign up to, gives you 2 for 1 deals in thousands of restaurants around the country. There is a membership fee (not sure what that is), but there's a 2 month free trial at the moment so it could be worth signing up for just for that.

Seems to have a very good selection of restaurants, quite a few that I frequent in Manchester are there.