BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

I shall attempt that challenge good sir.

In the meantime try Mother Hubbards on Preston New Road in Blackburn for chips.

I tried that soon after it opened.I had fish and chips , not sure what sort of fat/oil they cook them in but I could still taste it the following day. Gave the wife a " funny tummy " . Hope it's improved since then, but back to Holly Tree for me

Edited by onlyonetugay

George Street chippy is pretty good.

If thats the chinese behind the Roebuck then it is worth a visit. I havent had the fish and chips but the chinese meals are excellent. The owners used to have Mai`s on Shear Brow in Blackburn.

Edited by old darwen blue

• Backroom

Not Rishton but Hollytree is always our choice, love the Mushy pea fritters! I also like the chips at cherry tree next to the beehive but for me nothing will ever beat Clayton Street in Great Harwood in the 90's

The pinnacle of fish and chips.

Bryan street chippy does a good one, you need a big appetite to polish one off though(and I'm not normally somebody that struggles to finish a meal;) )

I find they tend to be made slightly differently from one chippy to the next, some are awful, some are yum,

the one in the you tube video looks good but he can stick the onion up his (bleep) and they're a little skinny compared to some you see

Edited by T J Hooker

The only places that I can remember making John Bulls when I was still in the Uk was Bryan St (as above) , William St Chippy and the one on Shorrock Lane. The best ones I remember where from Bolton Road (before it became a Chinese).

Tried making them myself but turned it a floating mass of batter mince and potato all avoiding each other

As for size believe the ideal should be when inserted into a barm cake there should be at least a two inch gap between the top and bottom of the barm cake when squashed down :) with no over hang at the sides until first bite

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Mowgli Street Food today at the Corn Exchange in Manchester, was delicious. We were going to go to Wahaca like Madon above, until we saw they had Mowgli, as we always fancied the one in Liverpool.

Will definitely go again as well as Wahaca too though!