BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

If you find yourself in Southport DON'T go to the Hesketh Arms, Churchtown - fastest service you'll ever see! :lol: However do go to Vincent's for excellent food, service and wine list. We rolled up here about 6.15pm on a wet Sunday, it was the first place we'd seen that looked open. At that time one might expect bored staff, reheated food etc but no everything was first class. Pricey for a full meal, as we paid about £45 for two wines, two mains, one desert and two spoons plus two espressos. well woth the money and will be going back again. Also has a nice looking Sushi bar / menu.

Currently researching a lot of places in Southport, for reasons some know about! Everywhere else we've been has been average, not worth a mention. Any recommendations?

How far do you guys travel to a reasonable restaurant?

About 5-10 miles generally if going from home. If we go to Manchester for theatre, see the eldest boy etc then obviously it's a bit further. Living near Chorley / Blackburn this does tend to limit the choice! As we are going to Southport at weekends we are finding there are some interesting looking places there which is about 23 miles from home but we have reasons taking us there in the first place.

Dont tend to have to travel far to be honest mate. Lots of good restaurants near by. Live over in Horwich so there are a few over that way (China Blue, Inka, San Marino etc) and then im from Darwen where there are a good couple of Indians and Italians, and then there is blackburn's too.

Tris the last 2 saturdays we have been past and both times shut. So i assume its gone!

Sorry to put RVI back to the top of the thread ... but it really is on merit.

Clog and Billy at lunchtime today, outstanding food, quick and efficient service, great value ... you just can not criticise what's on offer there.

The food is so good at C+B and 3 Fishes that we shouldn't pretend any more - this is restaurant food not pub food. We are the lucky people who can enjoy it for a 5 quid cab fare because we live where we live.

Sorry to put RVI back to the top of the thread ... but it really is on merit.

Clog and Billy at lunchtime today, outstanding food, quick and efficient service, great value ... you just can not criticise what's on offer there.

The food is so good at C+B and 3 Fishes that we shouldn't pretend any more - this is restaurant food not pub food. We are the lucky people who can enjoy it for a 5 quid cab fare because we live where we live.

I can walk Tris but it's just got too bloody busy.

btw Clog's certainly good but personally I still prefer the food and ambience at the Millstone in Mellor. ;)

Went to the Emporium in Clitheroe last night, was ok. Good food, average menu, poor service.

Glad I've been, but a tad expensive! Probably leave it a while til I go again.

Has anyone been to Piccolino's in Clitheroe? (opposite the Emporium)

No roj. Went to Nico's new one in Barrow last week though. Decor good, Strtr good mains just OK. He'll need to get a shift on with such fierce competition in Clitheroe not to mention across the road at the Spread Eagle.

They are swamping Clitheroe with Italian restaurants. What gives? Some will end in tears.

Edited by thenodrog

• 1 month later...

Had a nice tapas afternoon today in El Rincon Manchester. Lovely food, authentic atmosphere and the pretty decent Cruz Campo. Unfortunately, to my right on the wall, was a collage of past Manchester Citeh players.

Finally got in the Clog & Billy at the third attempt the other Saturday. Nothing more to add to the previous good recommendations on here except to say that their cheese & onion pie is a sodding world beater.

Has anyone been to Piccolino's in Clitheroe? (opposite the Emporium)

Went a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent. Very plush. Highly recommended.

We were trying to remember what the building was before Piccolino's opened. Was it a pub?

It was my Dad's birthday a couple of weeks ago and my mum asked me to look at a few places to go for dinner in Belfast. A new restaurant had opened in the Cathedral Quarter of the city in the last year called No. 27 Talbot Street. It was apparently fantastic, great food, service settings and the new place to go. I looked up their website and was shown their menu with prices, which to my surprise were very reasonable; £10-12 for a main course. I let my mum know and she said to go a head and book a table. When we arrived at the restaurant that night, we walked in and it really was as nice as people had said. However whenever we given the menus and I saw that they were different from what I had seen on the website, I realised that I had been looking at the lunch menu and as such the prices for the dinner menu was twice as much! We stayed and had the best meal I've possibly had in a Belfast restaurant; I mean, it was superb. It's no wonder that celebrity chef Paul Rankin is bankrupt, with this place now around. It was worth every penny and didn't mind paying at all for such a good meal. If anyone is ever in Belfast and they are looking for nice places to eat I would recommend No.27 Talbot Street, along with Nick's Warehouse, Deane's At Queens, Cafe Conor, The Emerald, Villa Italia, Indie Spice, James Street South and McHughs.

Anyone evar been to The Mulberry Tree at Wrightington, just off juntcion 27 of the m6?

Going today for meal with the missus. Meant to be expensive though? is it?

It's excellent - I've been a few times. Modern British, similar to Heathcotes. Not cheap but decent value for the quality you get.

Went a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent. Very plush. Highly recommended.

We were trying to remember what the building was before Piccolino's opened. Was it a pub?

Just guessing but was it the Brown Cow? I'm going next week so if I rem I'll ask em.

Anyone evar been to The Mulberry Tree at Wrightington, just off juntcion 27 of the m6?

Been once and I thought it was quite reasonably priced. I heard a story about the Mulberry Tree (if the chef / owner is still there) is that he imports the spuds for his chips from Italy.

Edited by thenodrog

help required please

Me and mature for his age 10 year old nephew need either sit down fish and chips or Chinese at 8.30pm one evening in Blackburn or Preston or in between.

Clayton St Chippy in Gt Harwood is legendary for 'proper' fish and chips! ;) You really need a flat cap to get in though and the waiter is a mad keen dingle. Last time I spoke to him his daughter was going out with a mad keen BRFC fan from Darren.

Edited by thenodrog

Very expensive, and overrated. But you will know this by the time you read this. :tu:

help required please

Me and mature for his age 10 year old nephew need either sit down fish and chips or Chinese at 8.30pm one evening in Blackburn or Preston or in between.

For Fish and Chips in Preston this is as good as any.

Well lads, I had a great "bush breakfast" the other day.

300 kms west of Cairns, in a place called Undarra.

It was only bacon, eggs, beans, tomato, sausage etc on a metal plate washed down with bush coffee (done over an open fire).

I even asked the cook where I should park the horse!

If anyone ever gets over this way, it's a fabulous experience, a must do.

Well lads, I had a great "bush breakfast" the other day.

300 kms west of Cairns, in a place called Undarra.

It was only bacon, eggs, beans, tomato, sausage etc on a metal plate washed down with bush coffee (done over an open fire).

I even asked the cook where I should park the horse!

If anyone ever gets over this way, it's a fabulous experience, a must do.

After a post like that Dave, you're entitled to use the name 'cayman' before your name. Eat proper bush tucker like those white grub things etc and you can upgrade to either 'crocodile' or 'alligator.' :P

For good quality fish and chips over on the Fylde, I can certanly recommend the Great Eccleston chippy and the one near Blackool Victoria Hospital on the way to Poulton- I think its called Simon's.

The best Fish and Chips I have had in Blackpool is at Seniors.

Fantastic!