Sign in to follow this  
pksrover

Restaurants

Oh dear Gav I am sorry to hear that. ^_^

:lol: now thats funny Gordon :lol:

Cannot tell you how bad that was, it was like having a curry years back, very poor indeed :(

Off to the Villa in Clitheroe on Saturday for a mates 30th, there's about 45 of us so not expecting much and never rated it too highly in the past although some rave over it.

Not stricly on topic but we stopped at Mrs Dowsons for an ice cream on saturday, I had Pear Drop and Saspirella and they were bloody brilliant.

La Salsa in Darwen does really well....think it used to have a couple of week waiting list too!

Shows there is a good market around here for tapas.

I've been to La Salsa a couple of times now and both visits have been absolutely top notch. The last visit I was in a group of 10 from work and the service and speed was fantastic. Can't rate this place highly enough although I have never been on a Friday or Saturday night.

For any carnivores out there BEM Brasil in Manchester is well worth a visit. All you can eat Brazilian just off Deansgate. It's a bit like a BBQ delivered to your table - Lamb, Steak, Chicken, Sausages, Ribs etc all sliced straight from the skewer on to your plate. Not the cheapest but definitely worth the money. If you like a beer with your meal try the Brahma Brazilian bottled lager.

Went to the Bleeding Heart french restaurant near Farringdon tube in London on Tuesday night.

fantastic meal, great fois gras nibbles and the fish courses were sublime. The best was the fromage trolley...some of the best stinky french cheeses I have tried (and I am an English cheese fan).

PS. Someone else paid :P

Edited by preston blue

It's on my doorstep almost, but I had forgotten how good The Happy Village on Market Street chinese restaurant is. I went with the family on Friday night at 6pm, at which time we were the only diners. But within 5 minutes a few more had arrived, to take advantage of the 3 courses for £9.95 they offer Sunday to Friday. In truth the three course thing is a little misleading, as course number one is a choice of Hot and Sour or Chicken and Sweetcorn soup. There are then a second round of the usual spring rolls, prawn toast dim sum type bits-but they were all excellent, as was my hot and sour soup.

Then a choice of about half a dozen mains, with excellent fried rice. I had chicken with green pepper and black bean sauce, which was as good as I have had outside Manchester.

The building is a bit creaky, and not very large (more room upstairs) but the service was excellent, made a fuss of our kids, and prompt through out.

By the time we left at about 7.40pm the place was getting close to being full, which speaks for itself in this climate.

Really enjoyed it.

Driving past "Inside Out" in Walton-le-Dale I noticed a sign "For Auction". I presume the building and land, formerly known as Birch House, are up for auction.

The restaurant is still open and advertising but I wonder if they are feeling the current austerity and are about to go under.

Went there when it was birch house,portions fit for a dwarf.we just got back from sidari and went to an amazing taverna 4 times and the owner on last night gave us VIP treatment and a bottle of expensive red wine to take home.

Went there when it was birch house,portions fit for a dwarf.we just got back from sidari and went to an amazing taverna 4 times and the owner on last night gave us VIP treatment and a bottle of expensive red wine to take home.

Maybe Paul, Whittle Blue etc can add to this but after dropping someone off at Preston Station last week er indoors and myself turned up at the Dressers Arms for a steak night deal on our way home. A quite decent bottle of wine which the missus has seen on the shelves in Asda along with two of the tastiest and tenderest steaks that I have had in a while, all with the usual accompanyments and all for £11.95! On top of that I had a pint of 'Dressers Bitter' which was really quaffable too (I'm told since that they brew their own on the premises somewhere). I got change out of £2.50 for that too!

Places like this make me wonder why we are in the process of buying a new kitchen! Using a quick mental calculation and if other places were to provide meals at the same value, then for the cost of a new kitchen we could eat out every single night for the next 10 years!

Visited Darwen's latest gem last night, Tapizza. Tapas and pizza restaurant on The Green adjacent to the White Lion. We opted for the 6 tapas dishes (each) for £7.95 and with a shared garlic bread starter, 2 pints of Peronni, a glass of wine, 2 sweets and 2 coffees the bill came in at a very reasonable £38. The sweets are advertised as minute and come with a complementary coffee, so don't expect a decent sized portion. Nicely decorated, there are two rooms with around four or five tables in each, so it gets full pretty quickly which makes the atmosphere good. The food was very nice annd overall great value for money - 'Darwen, the dining capital of the north!'

Places like this make me wonder why we are in the process of buying a new kitchen! Using a quick mental calculation and if other places were to provide meals at the same value, then for the cost of a new kitchen we could eat out every single night for the next 10 years!

Your kitchen is costing you 43 grand? :blink:

Your kitchen is costing you 43 grand? :blink:

No. It was a random guesstimate. But I think you need to take into account that even when we stay home to cook we still have to buy the ingredients and pay for the leki/gas etc.

Edited by thenodrog

Haven't been in the Dressers for years. It's a bit far to walk and TBH when we used to go I was never that inspired by the place We like to walk to the pub for obvious reasons and so tend to use the Golden Lion which also does a steak night on Tuesday and Thursday at £13.95 for two including wine. It's very popular locally and wise to check tables are available.

I know it's a bit random but for anyone ging to The Hebrides I can thoroughly recommend these places:

Skye - Creelers, Broadford. Must book

Mull - Am Brillin

Lewis - Auberge Carnish. Booking a good idea

Barra - The Toffee Factory. Amazing sandwiches. Great tablet and toffee

Very happy memories of the Three Chimneys on Skye

Had this one in mind but as we stayed in Kyleakin it was at least a 90 mike round trip which sort of takes the edge off dinner.

Creelers is excellent. Tiny, tiny place run by an osteopathic who gave up Harley Street to start a restaurant. Great decision!!!!

Haven't been in the Dressers for years. It's a bit far to walk and TBH when we used to go I was never that inspired by the place We like to walk to the pub for obvious reasons and so tend to use the Golden Lion which also does a steak night on Tuesday and Thursday at £13.95 for two including wine. It's very popular locally and wise to check tables are available.

I know it's a bit random but for anyone ging to The Hebrides I can thoroughly recommend these places:

Skye - Creelers, Broadford. Must book

Mull - Am Brillin

Lewis - Auberge Carnish. Booking a good idea

Barra - The Toffee Factory. Amazing sandwiches. Great tablet and toffee

taxi?

taxi?

Why when I've got two feet and two legs?

Just got a longing for fish and chips in a bag, not these trays they have now, can you still get them or have health and safety banned them?

Just got a longing for fish and chips in a bag, not these trays they have now, can you still get them or have health and safety banned them?

Long gone now I think. For good fish and chips I can recommend Brook Street chippy at Rishton though, ask Abbs!

Had dinner at the Waddington Arms a couple of times this week as we were down for a few days, including the Wolves game unfortunately :( , and each meal was first class. Great menu, excellent specials, great real ale and topped off with first class service.

Highly recommended.

I got a takeway from the Indian in Feniscowles last night mainly because it was convinient, and I have to say it's the worst Indian takeway I've think I've ever had.

My guts are killing, the food was full of oil and the Dahl tasted ****.

This used to be good when it was Feniscowles Tandoori, but give the place a wide birth.

Off to the toilet, again :(

TOTALLY AGREE, i got one about 6 months ago for a change. It was plain awful.

Stayed fairly local and with nothing arranged it was the Clog and Billycock last night. Nothing remarkeable except that this is still the single best place to drink Wainrights in the entire Kingdom!

However not wanting to be niggardly but I noticed on the bill thay had taken a 40p 'charity' donation. Now 40p is neither here nor there but it's my 40p and giving to charity should be my decision. Charity must always be voluntary and not to satisfy someones over inflated ego. If the management at Ribble Valley Inns want to donate to worthy causes (in this case apparently it's some youth club for up and coming rioters and looters in the Darwen St area...... btw wtf happened to bob a job and sponsored walks etc?) out of their profits then thats just fine and dandy but imo this is just a cheap publicity gimmick and one probably being done solely with the intention of picking up some future gong or similar.

Am I just being cynical? Whatever next time we choose to eat locally it'll likely back to the ever reliable Millstone..... the second best place to drink Wainrights btw.

Edited by thenodrog

......If the management at Ribble Valley Inns want to donate to worthy causes (in this case apparently it's some youth club for up and coming rioters and looters in the Darwen St area.....

You seem like a forthright person.

Perhaps an option the next time you go there is to say that you do not want to donate 40p to "some youth club for up and coming rioters and looters in the Darwen St area."

Just something for you to consider as an option. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers