BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Twas our 32nd wedding anniversary on Thursday so, Saturday evening we were out for a meal. I wanted somewhere in the Ribble Valley, my other half wanted Ciao Baby, what used to be Borocco's at Egerton. Egerton it was then.

After arriving at 7.55 for an 8pm booking, we were still sat in the bar area at 8.20 and after speaking to a waiter twice, we were finally shown to our table at 8.35. A couple of screeching four year olds at the table behind meant we asked to be relocated and we were.

The place was packed to the rafters and waiters were toing and froing at breakneck speed. There was so much noise (customers, waiters, kitchen staff, background music) you couldn't hear yourself speak.

The food was quite good but the overall experience less so. Whilst we may just give it another try on a quieter midweek night, I think it will be some considerable time before we do.

is that the one on the hill on the left (darwen way)?

we ended up in the red lion at whiteburk last night (long story),it was ok for a cheap pub meal.Not fantastic but served our need so to speak.

last weekend we did naga in gods village,the poppadoms where a bit greasy and the shessh kebab starter was ok(balti houses are better) but i had sagwa lamb massala and it was fantastic,the wife said hers was the best she had ever had!!

It didnt seem right having an indian tho in the pub where i learnt to drink :(

Visited Darwen's latest gem last night, Tapizza. Tapas and pizza restaurant on The Green adjacent to the White Lion. We opted for the 6 tapas dishes (each) for £7.95 and with a shared garlic bread starter, 2 pints of Peronni, a glass of wine, 2 sweets and 2 coffees the bill came in at a very reasonable £38. The sweets are advertised as minute and come with a complementary coffee, so don't expect a decent sized portion. Nicely decorated, there are two rooms with around four or five tables in each, so it gets full pretty quickly which makes the atmosphere good. The food was very nice annd overall great value for money - 'Darwen, the dining capital of the north!'

A group of us had booked to go to Tapizza tonight. We got a call yesterday evening to say that the chef had walked out and they were having to cancel all bookings for this weekend!

Disappointed as I was looking forward to trying it and probably dropped down my list of places to try due to the circumstances.

Ooh 'eck - have you tried the Railway Road tapas restaurant? - that's very good.

La Salsa is very good, I have been there a few times now. We did try calling them, but were laughed at for trying to book for a group of 16 on a Friday night at 24 hours notice. So it looks like it will be a curry.

Royal Oak - Riley Green.

Lamb Hot-Pot and Plate Steak and Kidney Pie. £12 each. Relatively expensive for pub food, however you get plenty and it tastes excellent.

Good to feel a warm open fire too, after walking in the rain.

Was there last night. You are right, it is expensive, but good.

Game pie always excellent. And its always warm and welcoming.

Ale is kept well too,

Was there last night. You are right, it is expensive, but good.

Game pie always excellent. And its always warm and welcoming.

Ale is kept well too,

Would have carried on walking in the rain to the Boars Head as its less expensive, if it wasn't for the quality of the Ale.

Doesn't The Boars Head sell Thwaites as well now?

More a case of how its kept. The Best consistant pint of Thwaites Bitter was served by the late Keith Barron at Bulls Head Redlam. ( IMO )

Like any beer though if you don't treat it right the taste will be compromised.

Edited by 3rdpillar

Due to circumstances outside my control (otherise known as a slightly obsessive 85 year old mother) I will soon be taken

here

I will report back in due course and mention any Germans or Mormons or lycra-cladded slender ladies who try to induct me into the way of whatever. Wish me luck. I'm going in there fairly soon

Eagle @ Barrow - very good food and a really good atmosphere! Been a few times before but the last visit was the best!

Millstone, Mellor - excellent food but poor service! Anson needs to sort this.

Algheros - it's just decent for a quick meal on a Sunday night! In and out within 45 mins - full and satisfied! Does not pretend to be something it is not!

How did your first contact with John of God go?

Nice timing.

We went there today and it was really pleasant. There was no attempt at at all to induct nor introduce us into any kind of spiritual or religious dogma. Just a really nice light & airy cafe to while away a couple of hours.

Recommended.

Went in the Freemans in Wiswell this evening with a business contact.

Stuck to the set menu, three courses for £15.95.

For the standard of food you get its an absolute bargain. (offer runs between 5.00pm - 6.30pm Tues-Thu)

That being said I don't think you could go their often, the food is very nouveau cuisine and looked really pricy if you have a steak, meat or any fish off the main menu.

My family and I have been going to the Millstone a lot recently and that in my opinion is a better dining experience for half the price. Much more relaxed plus its good honest food. (In particular, the steak and kidney pie and chips is a dream!)

Edited by rog of the rovers

Went in the Freemans in Wiswell this evening with a business contact.

Stuck to the set menu, three courses for £15.95.

For the standard of food you get its an absolute bargain. (offer runs between 5.00pm - 6.30pm Tues-Thu)

That being said I don't think you could go their often, the food is very nouveau cuisine and looked really pricy if you have a steak, meat or any fish off the main menu.

My family and I have been going to the Millstone a lot recently and that in my opinion is a better dining experience for half the price. Much more relaxed plus its good honest food. (In particular, the steak and kidney pie and chips is a dream!)

'Freemasons' rog.

I go to the Millstones quite regularly and the only meal that I wouldn't recommend is the fish and chips. I've had it twice and found it a very bland experience on both occasions. I must say though an evening at the Millstones can still add up. Not everyone has starters and and no one ever has desert either but we never get away for less than £70 per couple.

Edited by thenodrog

'Freemasons' rog.

I go to the Millstones quite regularly and the only meal that I wouldn't recommend is the fish and chips. I've had it twice and found it a very bland experience on both occasions. I must say though an evening at the Millstones can still add up. Not everyone has starters and and no one ever has desert either but we never get away for less than £70 per couple.

My apologies! You knew what I meant though! :rolleyes:

Re The Millstone, I had the fish curry last time out, and it was average but maybe just caught a bad batch. I never see the appeal in having fish and chips at a proper restaurant!

My apologies! You knew what I meant though! :rolleyes:

Re The Millstone, I had the fish curry last time out, and it was average but maybe just caught a bad batch. I never see the appeal in having fish and chips at a proper restaurant!

Good point. I don't either really but we'd just been talking about the fish and chips at the Oyster and Otter and I thought I'd compare.

By the same token I don't see much point in having a curry in an 'English' either. ^_^

Edited by thenodrog

Back to chippys , anyone tried noblletts at plungy in Preston . Best chippy I've been to in yonks !

Never tried it as it sells Hollands Pies. If a chippy's standards for pies are so low they opt to stock Hollands, then I'm not going to entertain the rest of their produce.

Best chippy I've ever been to is/was the one in Clayton St in Gt Harwood. Crinkle cut, big clean chips.

Never tried it as it sells Hollands Pies. If a chippy's standards for pies are so low they opt to stock Hollands, then I'm not going to entertain the rest of their produce.

Best chippy I've ever been to is/was the one in Clayton St in Gt Harwood. Crinkle cut, big clean chips.

Proper chippy which sadly has been sold. Used to be packed out all the time both shop and cafe and I know lots of folk who drove over from Blackburn for the dining experience. No secrets, no magic wand just proper practices so why do other chip shop owners find the standards set by 'Claccy' chippy so difficult to attain?