BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Proper chippy which sadly has been sold. Used to be packed out all the time both shop and cafe and I know lots of folk who drove over from Blackburn for the dining experience. No secrets, no magic wand just proper practices so why do other chip shop owners find the standards set by 'Claccy' chippy so difficult to attain?

Nail on the head Gordon. It's the 'no nonsense' that made their produce so good. Most chippies sell a whole range of stuff like sausages, spam fritters etc, and they cook this stuff in the same fryers as the chips. This practice taints the oil with animal fats that are really quite disgusting. On top of that, they often go for the cheapest stuff to maximise their profits...have you ever tasted economy burgers? Disgusting things.

Claccy chippy, if I remember rightly (it's been at least ten years since I dined there), sold chips, fish and peas, and I think gravy, but no curry. One fryer for fish, t'other for chips. Simple science.

The cleanliness of the place too gave punters a sense of confidence about eating there. The staff wore hats and rightly so.

• Backroom

Clayton street is legendary it's quite sad I'll never taste their proper chips again.

We used to go and eat in every Saturday lunch before rovers. Never had to order as dave just knew!

I'm a recent convert to Frankie and Benny's. Good food, especially the burgers. Quick, friendly service. 25% off on Monday evenings.

Went to Chiquitos a couple of months ago. Food was OK, but service was terrible. Had to wait a lifetime for everything. Really disappointing.

I'm a recent convert to Frankie and Benny's. Good food, especially the burgers. Quick, friendly service. 25% off on Monday evenings.

Went to Chiquitos a couple of months ago. Food was OK, but service was terrible. Had to wait a lifetime for everything. Really disappointing.

Franky n bennys and chicks ,IMO be cheaper because they are plastic franchise eateries but charge top wack resteraunt prices. Both are ok but that's it.

I've been several times for family meet ups, the food is expensive for what it is and you can easily go somewhere else for the same price and better standard of food.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a nice pub with a great selection of good, wholesome food at a very good price, try The Blue Anchor at Bretherton.

Food is self service from 12 noon to 8pm for £5 on weekdays and £7 at weekends.

You can go back and help yourself as many times as you wish.

I usually start with a selection of salad stuff. Second plate is a small portion of curry and rice. Final plate is a selection of e.g. meat and potato pie, lasagne, dumpling stew, liver and onions, roasted veges, steamed veges, chips, mushy peas........there is always battered fish.

A sweet is extra cash but I never have a sweet. (And you're not surprised seeing I've wolfed down all that lot above!!)

And the Gents are clean as well. Clean toilets always indicate clean kitchens to me.

Anybody been to the restaurant at Northcote Manor?

Obviously very good food but a little too formal for me. Not a cheap dining experience either but then again one wouldn't expect it to be and the cost does deter a lot of riff raff.... but obviously not completely.

Everywhere needs a Northcote for whenever it's an occasion to push the boat out.

Anybody been to the restaurant at Northcote Manor?

fantastic, one of my favouries.

I am off to another tonight when I take my team to 60 Hope Street in Liverpool. Oysters and and a nice crisp white wine for starters......only 7 hours to go followed by a night in the Hards Days Night Hotel.

60 Hope Street and the London Carriage Works (about 100 yards on the same side of Hope St) are my two recommendations if MB colleagues go to Liverpool; do not touch the jamie Oliver italian place in Liverpool One with a barge pole, overpriced dreadful food with terrible service standards.

Wouldn't mind slapping him with a barge pole.

Me too abbey. I can't readily think of a celebrity chef that doesn't require the same treatment! They are all conceited knob heads. Truth is I'd like to hit Gordon Ramsey with Worrall Thompson and kill two birds with one stone.

...Sorry yes I can James Martin's OK.... Oh and Fearnley Whittingstall's fine too although I'm not sure rat bourginon and rook fricassee are exactly my barrow.

Edited by thenodrog

fantastic, one of my favouries.

I am off to another tonight when I take my team to 60 Hope Street in Liverpool. Oysters and and a nice crisp white wine for starters......only 7 hours to go followed by a night in the Hards Days Night Hotel.

60 Hope Street and the London Carriage Works (about 100 yards on the same side of Hope St) are my two recommendations if MB colleagues go to Liverpool; do not touch the jamie Oliver italian place in Liverpool One with a barge pole, overpriced dreadful food with terrible service standards.

A fine selection of "scouse" eatery and accommodation PB!

We have been to Northcote on a couple of occasions as well and it is excellent. Not somewhere fore every week but if its a special occasion it is superb.

If anyone ventures up to Edinburgh I can heartily recommend The Witchery on the Royal Mile, The Tower at the Museum of Scotland and The Kitchin which is Tom Kitchin's place down in Leith.

Edited by Aberdeen Blue

• Backroom

Me too abbey. I can't readily think of a celebrity chef that doesn't require the same treatment! They are all conceited knob heads. Truth is I'd like to hit Gordon Ramsey with Worrall Thompson and kill two birds with one stone.

...Sorry yes I can James Martin's OK.... Oh and Fearnley Whittingstall's fine too although I'm not sure rat bourginon and rook fricassee are exactly my barrow.

For me Michel Roux Jr is leaps and bounds better than the rest

• Backroom

Not talking cheffing quality here Tom, we're talking personality and ego.

I'm talking all 3, much rather watch him than any of the others, his ego is down to his excellent pedigree and high standards.