BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

My condolences. There are one or two nice places down there if being honest but they're all quite rural and it would be good if one or two better ones opened in the cities. Out of curiosity where did you live in Devon I was based just north of Crediton in a little village who's best amenity was a bus every tuesday and thursday.

Lived in Somerset rather than Devon - 3 years in Yeovil and 3 in Martock just outside Yeovil. Going back 30 years though. My 2 eldest were born down there.

Yes but not for a year or so

Always been fantastic home cooked food though and the chips are as good as anywhere.

Rum do that.... people eat in many places yet frequently rem good chips above all else. I had a long running issue with the previous landlord of one of my local eateries. His chips were constantly abysmal and I told him exactly that, that people rem good chips even over the meat and that if I had a restaurant and because the raw materials are so cheap I would endeavour to serve the best possible by using the best chipping poatoes home cooked in either dripping or lard. He said he couldn't possibly do that and relied on tasteless catering chips cos of the objections of vegitarians! :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

Anyone been to the Black Horse at Pimlico, near the cement works, Clitheroe?

Just been this evening. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Plenty of choice on the various menu blackboards. I had the fish and chips, which was massive. Wife had duck breast with orange marmalade sauce, parsnip crisps and dauphinois potatoes.

Four real ales on

Staff very friendly - couldn't fault anything. Will be back

Slightly off topic but I took Alex for a meal in New Brighton earlier, had a look at the sea from the sea wall, bloody swell on it with the wind.

Gonna get wild tonight

Assuming that Alex is the current Mrs Scouser could you elaborate on who or what you are referring to Nick? ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Ate at the Bayley Arms in Hurst Green the other week, was impressed.

I had a very nice club sandwich and ice cream for desert. I went with my mum who had the smoked/poached salmon salad and a creme brulee. All the dishes were excellent and the portions were well sized!

Those and 4 pots of tea came to a very reasonable £30.

Would recommend the pub, especially for a Sunday lunch or a Fathers/Mothers Day trip out.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago we went to The Calfs Head at Worston.

Ate in the conservatory, food, drink and service very good. It seems to be very popular. Very busy when we called in.

The usual choice on the menu, and the portions were large.

Recommended.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago we went to The Calfs Head at Worston.

Ate in the conservatory, food, drink and service very good. It seems to be very popular. Very busy when we called in.

The usual choice on the menu, and the portions were large.

Recommended.

Used to be a good place. last time I went, the upholstery was threadbare, the staff uniforms scruffy, the garden and furniture scruffy, the tables and window bottoms had drinks stains and the menu and theming was akin to a Beefeater.

• Backroom

Hoping to try Lust Luck Liquor and Burn (Mexican in the northern quarter, Manchester) tomorrow lunchtime whilst I'm over there for an internal interview

I have heard good things and I love Mexican food so looking forward to trying it

Hoping to try Lust Luck Liquor and Burn (Mexican in the northern quarter, Manchester) tomorrow lunchtime whilst I'm over there for an internal interview

I have heard good things and I love Mexican food so looking forward to trying it

They also do the Almost Famous burgers, having taken on the chefs when Almost Famous burned down in July. Really good food.

• Backroom

Isn't that a pile treatment?

Clog and Billcocks shut down for refurbishment for a couple of weeks (btw the entire chain of RVI's are being refurbed), so rather than revert to my default the O&O in Feni I gave the new chef and cheaper menu a try in the Butlers Arms twice last week. From the new owners coming in in a blaze of publicity last summer the BA lost it's way somewhat. Stuck just a mile between the Clog and the O&O the policy of trying to sell poorer fare at higher prices than the neighbours is a fools charter as a rapidly declining footfall attested.

Must say though the new chef produced two very good meals (including one of the best steaks I can recall for some time) plus the entire place seems to have a revitalised and refreshed air about it.

Clog and Billcocks shut down for refurbishment for a couple of weeks (btw the entire chain of RVI's are being refurbed), so rather than revert to my default the O&O in Feni I gave the new chef and cheaper menu a try in the Butlers Arms twice last week. From the new owners coming in in a blaze of publicity last summer the BA lost it's way somewhat. Stuck just a mile between the Clog and the O&O the policy of trying to sell poorer fare at higher prices than the neighbours is a fools charter as a rapidly declining footfall attested.

Must say though the new chef produced two very good meals (including one of the best steaks I can recall for some time) plus the entire place seems to have a revitalised and refreshed air about it.

It was very expensive when it opened, so credit to them if they have had a rethink. I shall check it out. I've also heard good things about The Royal Oak at Riley Green. Anybody been?