BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Derby Preview

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A game v Derby for me will ALWAYS bring back those wonderful memories of that now legendary 1992 play off home game.I had never seen Ewood celebrate with an atmosphere like that until that time,the Blackburn End was one bouncing,heaving mass of blue 'n' white that sunny day.From being dead and buried at 0-2 down to utter joy at the final whistle,oh my and little David Speedie :rover:

One of my favourite EVER Rovers games and who was to have known it was the start of the Rovers revolution all those 16 years ago(didn't we do well!)...............the old video of that game is going on tonight folks I'll tell thee!

966_t_w740_h600.jpg

COME ON YOU BLUES!!

P.S.

Derby are expecting a following of around 4,000...very decent considering the season they have had to endure.

SG

I totally agree.

Playing Derby holds many memories for me, both home and away.

That game ranks amongst the best of all time for me, for pure courage, football, goals and excitement and yes the start of it all because if you recall the early commentary it suggests it has all gone wrong as gabbiadini and ginger tom put Derby 2-0 up. Being a Blackburn Ender in those days, central along with Abbey and co, the atmosphere was simply FANtastic.

I suppose back then, and really is it 16 years ago ?, we could have all been forgiven for walking out after those opening 5 minutes but for those who stayed, it was a magnificent victory. A great weekend only followed by the great defensive wall a few days later at the Baseball ground.

Speedie, simply the best :brfcsmilie:

To be fair to Hughes and Williams, they obviously want to get a feeling whether the players they want next summer, are going to be available and willing. If the signs are good, then Tugay wont be kept on. They don't feel a decision can be made now and I personally can go along with that.

It would still be great to be able to give Tugay the reception/send off he deserves though. I'm sure the fans will make their feelings known to him whatever, before, during and after the game on Saturday.

I disagree . It's a highly unsatisfactory situation for Tugay and the fans not to know if he is playing his last game for the Rovers .

Taking into account his record and service a decision should have been made before now . Sometimes it's not just a question of balancing factors objectively - Tugay deserves his moment of glory and the fans deserve the chance to express their full appreciation . Without a specific announcement tomorrow won't be the same even if he plays .

So already it's the last home game of the season, with in truth little to play for in terms of achievements. We are not likely to qualify for Europe, and won't go out of the top ten either. Home form has been the reason we have not quite managed to break into the top 5~6 in my opinion, despite gaining points at Ewood off Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd.

Killer defeats here against Portsmouth, Aston Villa and as usual these days West Ham, but especially the first two, have really put the spanner in the works, which many on here feared at the time. Reverse those two results alone, and we would be in an untouchable 6th spot on 61 points and looking good for fifth.

That said, a win against Worst Premiership Side Ever Derby and away next week at St Andrews gives us a total of 61 points, which would have secured 5th last year. So progress has been made one feels.

Highlights of the performances at Ewood this season are less easy to pick out than last, with dreadful events in the FA Cup and UEFA Cup leaving a bitter taste, with only a couple of great comebacks against Arsenal and Wigan being the pick along with bossing Man Utd for the majority of the game t'other week too. Loved the 3-1 defeat over the Geordies also!

As mentioned already on these message boards by me, I am not renewing my season ticket this year, but this is no reflection on the club, so I may not be on quite so frequently next season-depends on many off-the -field developments :unsure: , so I intend to enjoy my self tomorrow afternoon, lets hope Roque, JR et al do the same.

Ozz

I consider you to be like a brother to me, especially after knowing you for some considerable time. I shall miss your "pie at the match" reports and your big cheesy smile in JW Upper !!

See ya tomorrow hopefully :brfcsmilie:

Rovers are wrong and are underestimating the fans feelings on the Tugay contract situation. In a season where the home entertainment has been at best average, this is potentially a lost opportunity for the club and supporters to a certain degree to show their appreciation to one of the most talented modern day footballers to have pulled on a blue and white shirt.

If I were Tugay I think that I would force the issue and state that in view of no contract being offered, Saturday will be his last game for Rovers at Ewood.

No problem with deciding not to offer him an extension, but for the benefit of all parties, please be up front.

Everyone deserves better.

Tugay, you are my Turkish Delight.

Couldn't agree more. Great post buddy.

Apart from the fact that the kids are making me take them ice skating before the game I hope that tomorrow is a brilliant day because regardless of what's been said, I suspect it is the last time we'll see Tugay at Ewood (playing). And this is the kind of game he could still boss completely, so I hope he does play and then gets taken off 5 minutes from time so he gets a personal ovation. We may not see his like again here. I also would like Todd and Savage to get a good reception - and I feel they will. Both left the club looking for regular football, which is as it should be for a footballer. Oh, and I hope we score a hatful...

I do agree the club should have come out and stated whether it will be Tugay's last game or not. Surely the fact he's been used very rarely in recent months seems to suggest it's unlikely he'll be offered a new contract, along with the fact you'd expect Hughes to strengthen the midfield deparment in the summer. I don't see how waiting till the end of the season will influence the deicison at all.

I'm going to take it as his last performance, let's hope all Ewood give him a brilliant send off that he deserves.

Oh my.

Centre midfield is the one problem position we have at the club, and if we were to tell Tugay he could leave and then have an awful summer in the market with regards to CMs then we really could be in the sh*t.

However, not making such an impulsive decision for the sake of the fans is critized by those who would slate the club if the above scenario were to happen.

If it does turn out to be his last game you can be sure there will be a later tribute of sort, as there was with Tony Parkes.

Good points Shillito.

This unattributed gem is on the BBC website-

Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy has called former team-mate Robbie Savage "the worst player I have ever seen in my life", ahead of the Derby midfielder's return to Ewood Park on Saturday. "He has no skill at all," added McCarthy.

I think this as likely to be a joke as anything else....

Centre midfield is the one problem position we have at the club, and if we were to tell Tugay he could leave and then have an awful summer in the market with regards to CMs then we really could be in the sh*t.

Not really.

We have Dunn, Emerton, Reid, Vogel and (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Mokoena)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))).

The veteran Tugay does not add much to that list, sadly. Sure, for a game or two, he can excel but let's get real, he is well, well past his best. IF we went into next season without Tugay added to the above list, I'd feel as underwhelmed as I would if we did have Tugay lurking around as 5th/6th choice CM.

I have a horrible feeling after Mokoena's African Nations debacle, he has reassessed his talents and realised that he should be more than grateful for being where he is now. We haven't heard anything from him since the ACN where he got slated for his central midfield performances and having dropped back to centre back, was guilty of the defensive error that got SA kicked out of the competition.

I could be wrong but I think Mokoena will be a Rovers player still next season.

Sav really says very nice things about Blackburn in that interview. About the chairman, the manager, how well the club is run. Calling Rovers a role model for other clubs more than once.

Ewood expecting a large crowd?

The darwen end upper is open to home fans for the first time in 2 seasons!!!

It would be so Blackburn Rovers to play like absolute drains today.

Hmm, no naughty channels showing the game and I've just rung round the likely suspects amongst the bars of Malta and none of them have it either.

Well even rovers cannot mess this one up. Derby are shocking, and with rovers needing 6 pts from our last 2 games to have any chance at IT I just can't see us loosing this one. Knowing rovers we'll probably make it hard work - probably huffing and puffing our way to a 2-1 win or the like - but realisitically no matter how poor we are Derby always manage to sink a notch lower.

Think it's definately Tugs last game, wages alone with rovers budget probably mean that he's on his way out in the summer as the cm situation needs serious re thinking. Would like to see him and Dunn in centre mid, and not just for sentimental reasons. Tugs will never get a better opportunity for a send off; he'll be able to pick his passes all game, whilst Dunn's running at the derby defence should scare them witless. The same's probably true with Roberts, Derby won't like his in your face style of play, and Bentley is certs to muller the overrated McEvely, so plenty of crosses for Santa Cruz :) I'd go for emo and warnock at full back as we probably won't have too much defending to do and they'll hopefully have lots of chances to maraude forwards. Probably wouldn't risk either McCarthy or Samba if injured, as neither are likely to be really needed, and would be best to have them fully fit for a tougher match against brum.

Hope Savage gets a good reception - he slogged his guts out for us whilst he was here - and played no little part in our success. Was gutted to see injuries/age catch up with the guy, he certainly deserves a great reception.

Todd and McEveley not so sure about. Todd played some good stuff but seemed to get into a bit too much controversy both on the pitch and with managers to really endear himself to me.

Hopefully rovers show the potential that we'v not fully unlocked this season and it all clicks today to give us optimism for the new season.

Archived