BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread Part 3

In 1993, a 13 year old Dublin lad chose a team to support. Would he go with his 2 older brothers & what seemed like half the world & support the famous Manchester united? What about the European heavywieghts from mersey side? Or the Birmingham club which contained some many of his countrymen?

Always wanting to be unique he decided upon a small town club with huge ambitions harboured by its new owner, Jack Walker. A club who he saw character in, the character that he would encorporate into his own personality & try live by the moto 'Arte et labore'. That club is Blackburn Rovers FC.

Success has come at a cost for Rovers & i have ridden every wave, the championship win, Dalglaish & more heartbreaking, Shearers departure, the moscow bustup, Martin Dahlin signs! wilcox on the wing, Ericson accepts, Ericsson declines, 7-2 over Wedensday, Hoddle hates sutton, 7.5mil for davies, Transfer deadline day, will we sign sol campbell? Na, lets have christian dailly!! the scoreless draw at home to Manchester United, Relegation, Darren Peacock, loosing to huddersfield town the first day of the season in the new league, Kidd sacked, souness arrives ....not that as***le!?! Duff, Dunn, 5 irish players in the first team, Supper Matty Jansen, Preston North end, PROMOTION!!!!!!! 8 million for andy cole, millenium stadium underdogs, mark hughes bosses the midfield, Is Jansen going to the world cup? yep, in a wheel chair! Grabbi, Ostenstads law degree, John Stead, pre-season at bray wanderers, Chop Souey? Hughes for manager!!!!! 4-0 to boro, 4-0 to chelsea ......SURVIVAL!!! Craig bellamy, benni macarthy, roque santa cruz, Bentleys hattrick, winning in europe, knowing hughes is going to leave for a bigger club someday!!

I may not even be in the same country as the club i support & dont get to see them as much as i want but i have cried every tear & roared every cheer.

I started this post with the intention of saying that 13 year old kids dream has died today but having remembered all those ups, downs & mediocroty .....Im feeling optomistic, I have just listed some of my lifes overwhelming memories & I wouldnt change one of them. This club will no doubt have more downs but you can only savour the sweet when you have tasted the bitter.

So, Paul Ince is going to be the new manager? mmmmm?? theres only one thing left to do....... strap myself in, put my hands in the air & Sing 'Paul Inces Blue & White Army!!!!'

COME ON YOU ROVERS!!!!

Very good poat that long serving Rovers supporters should be able to relate to. I also cannot get to Ewood as much as I like due to where I live. The ups and down of a football club and supporters. One thing that can be said of rovers it is a family club - I believe it will always be. My wife only became interested in football 2 years ago after watching a game when she bought a ticket for me on my birthday and of course came with me. She loved it and has not looked back since. The club found out about her story and thought it amusing - when they club heard we were travelling north for the birmingham game last season - my wife totally out of the blue received an invite to meet some of the players in the reception area - she met Bentley and Derbyshire and Friedel.

My wife recently said to me that no matter what happens to Rovers win or lose, success or not I am a Rovers supporter.

I do believe that we have every reason to be positive about Rovers this coming season and for the future. These so called big clubs cannot go on forever - their debts are going to have to be paid somehow and soon, and small clubs like Rovers will continue.

:rover: I'm Rovers till I die :rover:

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Bennisfromheaven, explains how I feel to a T and even better that it's from an Irish perspective :D

Most Rovers fans have suffered the highs and the lows at some point, some more than others. One thing is for sure we will continue to do so in the future. I'm looking forward to the feeling we all get when we scrape a draw at Stamford Bridge, beat Utd at home and then get well and truely thumped away at Hull :lol: :lol:

As you have said strap yourselves in everybody, it's going to be one hell of a ride.....as always ;)

After sleeping on it, I am started to get excited about this appointment.

Backroom staff will be key but he must have made his plans clear to JW.

Ince is a winner and has a lot of prove!

Will we sign an unproven third division manager without coaching badges, is this a JOKE? Ince to Rovers? It can't be true. If Ince's the man then we will have serious problem I am afraid. There must be bigger names like Bilic and Laudrup available to hit and run.

I can't believe all you who say that you'll accept the surrounding appointment of Ince. What planet are you on? No ambition at all, just panic I'm afraid.

//The bbc newspaper round up is tipping Fatih Terim today. I wouldn't mind him at all. Has coached Milan, Fiorentina, Galatasaray and Turkey and play very attacking football...

Would be a fantastic manager for us. Attacking and fiery with a big heart for every club he manages. Much passion and desire to succed.

Changed your tune there son.

glad you pointed that out. I take all the stick for saying I'd rather stay at home and do something more enjoyable than watch rovers under allardyce and now one of my chief critics says he might choose to do something other than watch rovers under Ince. Be careful. we might hold you to it!

If it is to be Ince who gets the job then the appointment of his backroom staff will be vital. The players have had coaching sessions put on by some of the top qualified coaches in the League. The players have remarked in interviews how they have enjoyed coming into work because the session are varied and interesting.

With Ince not having been on the coaching courses I wonder how up to date his methods are. It will be on the coaching ground that he will get his first opportunity to impress the players and persuade them that he is capable of taking the club forward. I think it is vital for him to surround himself with guys who are fully up to date with the latest coaching methods and the ProZone equipment. However, I do accept that Ray Mathias is bound to be his number two as he is the guy he has worked with during his managerial career.

I also agree with what has been said about lowering our expectations for the coming season. At the moment we have no idea how much money is available for the new manager to spend. Even if Bentley goes for £12 million there is no guarantee that the manager will get a large chunk of that money. There may be part of the fee that goes to Arsenal while other money may be used for the club's running costs. Ultimately, until the end of August none of us will know how much is available to spend. However, even if the new man was given £10 million to spend it would be difficult to improve on 7th place, particularly for someone new to the club and the Premier League who will take time to settle in.

The most important factor for long term success is for the fans to give Ince, or whoever, the time they need to reshape the team in their own style. If that means that the coming season is spent in the bottom half of the table it's something that we should accept without getting on the manager's back. However, I suspect that by the end of October, if results have gone badly the new man will start to come under pressure from the terraces. We need to remember that it took Hughes a season or so to turn things around.

My understanding was that JW wanted to the next appointment to take the club forward, We're an establised top ten team now so how can INCE take us any further forward than MH???. He won't attract many players as he's unheard of abroad and most people in this country hate him, he dumped west ham and his attitude was disgusting. Then at Man utd remember the whole GUVNOR rubbish, it rubbed so many players backs up. When MH came everyone respected him that can't be said for Ince. Something is seriously wrong at the club, NO big time manager would come near us untill the trusties sell the club, thing that annoys me is there is no comment from our friends in Jersey. If this was Man utd, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle even southampton we would be demanding to know what is happening to our club, I don't want to wait for Mark Hughes Autobiography to find out what is actually happening behind the scenes.

I was just about to comment that following the number of "outside" viewers to this forum has, from the obvious happenings last night, nicko may decide not to post again. Then scotty puts his twopenneth in and makes it worse. I appreciate the information nicko provides as this gives us all an insight to goings on that we haven't had on this board previously.

Right.

I was just about to give you an update.

Then I see this as I log on.

Find out for yourslves.

Raging.

Eh? What have you seen Nicko? :wacko:

If its something bad someones written, please don't keep things you know hidden from us who haven't been nasty or spouted rubbish to you! :rolleyes:

Archived