BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Where Are They Now?

Is our scouting and coaching not good enough?

Maybe it's a case of getting bodies into the Academy to justify its existence? A championship team then takes a chance on one of our youth players thinking they must be good because they've been groomed by a Prem team, eventually find out they're not up to scratch and down the leagues they tumble.

I hope it's neither of these things but there must be a decent case for both explainations. I find it baffling that so many years of players have looked ok in the reserves (admittedly not the greatest standard) and then gone on to do very little. It begs the question what is going on at the acadamy.

Unlike Rover6 I don't think giving them more of a run out is the answer. After all, I can't think of any who we've let go that we've regretted letting go. I just wonder whether all this promise, is unharnessed or a false dawn. I wonder whether with better coaching the likes of McEveley, Danns and the like would actually be squad players for us, giving us more of a togetherness and solidarity within the squad (not to mention helping the budget)?

Byrom's another one, I'd forgotten about, yet was thought to have a lot of promise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whatever happened to rovergroo? Along with my good self he used to update this list from time to time. Shame that he does not seem to post anymore as he was one of the most interesting posters to read on here.

He was in the Blues last night :)

Agree, one of the few players I've had a decent length conversation with and you could tell he was pretty switched on and had a genuine love of the game, so it's not a massive suprise that he's got his shot at management. Just a bit of a suprise where he's starting out.

Ferencvaros are owned by the chairman of Sheffield United - McCabe I think he's called. Hence the connection with the previous manager Bobby Davison. They also have a few Sheff Utd players there on loan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those that followed the youth a few years ago:

Jerome Watt- Played for England at youth level him and Ciaran Donnelly were meant to be big things coming through, Watt is now playing for Bamber Bridge!

Stuart Howson- Went to Northern Spirit in Australia on loan with Ben Burgess, now plays for Chorley!

For those that followed the youth a few years ago:

Jerome Watt- Played for England at youth level him and Ciaran Donnelly were meant to be big things coming through, Watt is now playing for Bamber Bridge!

Stuart Howson- Went to Northern Spirit in Australia on loan with Ben Burgess, now plays for Chorley!

He played for AFC Fylde last year and was on the subs bench when we played them|!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was recently playing FIFA 10 and had a cup match against swindon town. I knew Jonathan Douglas moved there but i was surprised to see former Rovers legend Gordon Greer starting.

Aye, and he was playing on Saturday - popped up with an equaliser in injury time, much to my wallet's chagrin as I had Norwich down for a win.

Was recently playing FIFA 10 and had a cup match against swindon town. I knew Jonathan Douglas moved there but i was surprised to see former Rovers legend Gordon Greer starting.

I vaguely remember him, his name also reminded me of the other two Scottish youngsters we had at a time, David McNamee and Burton O'Brien (Who was S.African I think). McNamee I knew was in the championship, couldn't remember who with but turns out to be Plymouth.

Anyway funny one about Burton O'Brien, looked him up and check out his wikiedia page, a Falkirk fan certainly wasn't impressed!

Takes most free-kicks for Falkirk FC and set up Carl Finnigan's goal in the 1-0 win over Royal Antwerp FC on the 1st of August 2009. Also scored in 4-1 win over Hamilton Academical FC in 2008.

That's about all he's done in nearly 2 years. Well worth £3000 per week.

• 2 weeks later...

A real blast from the past Easter weekend so far.

Treacy, Danns, Walters. Davidson, Kuqi all on the score sheets and I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't more ex-Rovers hitting the net I have not noticed.

Marc Richards for one