BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Everton 1-2 Rovers

I still have no idea how we won this match. I was nervous beforehand because Everton were a team on the up at the time following Joe Royle's appointment as manager. We needed to win the match, a draw wasn't good enough.

Any pre-match nerves were quickly dispelled by Chris Sutton's left-footed finish after thirteen seconds. Then Alan Shearer drilled home a free-kick to put us 2-0 up after seven minutes. Stuart pulled a goal back for Everton with a superb chip.

Then Everton proceeded to throw everything at us. They battered us in the 2nd half. Anybody remember that goal-mouth scramble? Hendry trying to head the ball on the floor? Shearer belting the ball into the stands in injury-time? The final-whistle brought a surge of joy and relief to the Rovers support. So many memories - Tim Flowers doing his trade-mark salute to the Rovers supporters following a victory, walking through Stanley Park believing that it was going to be our season. Six weeks later, it was at the other end of Stanley Park where we finally achieved the dream. Jack's dream. Our dream.

We almost made a complete hash of it, but all's well that ends well. :D:tu:

Edited by Frisky Jim

I still have no idea how we won this match. I was nervous beforehand because Everton were a team on the up at the time following Joe Royle's appointment as manager. We needed to win the match, a draw wasn't good enough.

Any pre-match nerves were quickly dispelled by Chris Sutton's left-footed finish after thirteen seconds. Then Alan Shearer drilled home a free-kick to put us 2-0 up after seven minutes. Stuart pulled a goal back for Everton with a superb chip.

Then Everton proceeded to throw everything at us. They battered us in the 2nd half. Anybody remember that goal-mouth scramble? Hendry trying to head the ball on the floor? Shearer belting the ball into the stands in injury-time? The final-whistle brought a surge of joy and relief to the Rovers support. So many memories - Tim Flowers doing his trade-mark salute to the Rovers supporters following a victory, walking through Stanley Park believing that it was going to be our season. Six weeks later, it was at the other end of Stanley Park where we finally achieved the dream. Jack's dream. Our dream.

We almost made a complete hash of it, but all's well that ends well. :D:tu:

I spent most of that game staring down at my feet!

Guest Kamy100

I wasn't able to get to the game but I remember walking around Corporation Park with my portable radio. I was a nervous wreck and am sure that people in the park that day must have thought that I had escaped from a mental asylum.

Great, Great memories and like you said in the end all of our dreams came true. I'll never ever forget that season and even now if I ever feel down I put the season review on it instantly puts a smile on my face.

Was in the Everton End directly opposite the Rovers Fans as where many other Rovers Fans - never seen so many Rovers in the 'home end'.

Everton fan (brick ..... house) directly in front of me went mental when we scored and many in the stand jumped and cheered - and so early on as well.

Very enjoyable and tense - after that first 10-15 mins Rovers where awful and virtually none existent in their gameplay - the nerves where beginning to show.

.... never seen so many Rovers in the 'home end'.

A lad I know from Wilpshire was with six of his mates (seven of them in a row) on the side but right up near their end behind the goals. Their intention was to sit quietly if Rovers scored. Needless to say they were all up when the first one went in. :lol:

I was a good boy with the main contingent of Rovers fans.

I remember being sat near the front of the bottom tier with the Rovers fans. As ever at Goodison the view was awful. When THAT goalmouth scamble happened you had no idea if the ball was 1 yard or 8 yards off the goal-line. The relief when it was eventually hoofed clear was almost audible.

• 10 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.