BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

QUOTE (nicko @ Jul 24 2008, 05:52 ) *

Injury.

ON BRESCIANO...I am always wary of players described as 'versatile' - a pal of mine watched him for another Premier League side last season and said he wasn't good enough.

ON WARNOCK...does the player want to go?

ON PENNANT...Never ever been worth £6 million. Won't happen at that price.

ON CASTILLO...dying to see his side of the story in the Ecuadorian papers...to describe him as having a 'bad attitude' is ludicrous.

im not refering to the price so much as a bid may have been placed. we all must have realised by now that any fee mentioned even on skysports isnt worth the paper its printed on.

all im saying is this isnt coming from tribal football or the daily star when local news report it generally has some sort of foundation.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i hope there is something in it-jermaine pennant would be a good signing for us..

Would NOT replace Bentley though.

A good asset to have? Yes.

Worth spending a lot of our money on? No.

4 Million at at maximum and that is "cutting me own throat" per the excellent Mr Dibbler.

After all the rubbish being spouted on here about Ince and his management team, it looks like:

1. A 37 year old goalie is about to be sold for £2.75 million and a 28 year old England international is about to be signed for £3.5 million.

2. The current Chilean player of the year is about to be signed on loan who Nicko has said looks a "worldie".

A good window so far, long may it continue.

1. We lose a top keeper and replace him with an inferior one but because he's young and inferior that's OK?

2. We are about to sign a Chilean who represents a huge gamble. Never played outside of South America and Ince has only seen him on video so far. After the debacle with Castillo I'll wait until he's played a dozen or so games in English conditions before I get too carried away with that one.

3. We were crying out for strengthening in January but failed to do so. A decision which led to Mark Hughes and an excellent backroom team all moving on. We replace them with a manager who has no qualifications, has managed only in the Fourth Division and has surrounded himself with a backroom team assembled from the Fourth Division and the unemployment line.

4. We have our most creative player virtually knocking the door down to get out and seem unable to make signings until we find someone to buy him. Warnock and Santa Cruz continue to be the subject of speculation.

5. We are looking at Fowler, a player who was a prolific goalscorer a number of years ago but in more recent times has earned a living based on a past reputation and is of an age, for a front player, where time is definately not on his side.

6. The gaps that needed filling in January still need filling but now we have weakened the team even further by selling Brad.

I know that there are those who think we are having a wonderful summer and that everything is working out superbly for the club. Sadly, there are many more, myself included, who believe that the summer has turned into a disaster and that the club is like a rudderless ship.

I suspect after the first ten games or so we will know which group of supporters is correct. I hope I am wrong and that everything works out well but after forty odd years of watching the club I must admit that this kind of scenario is not new but it nearly always ends in tears.

Take it he aint wont be having a season ticket next year! Talk about over-doing it! Robinson, ex England Keeper, only 28, 41 international caps - Cant be that bad mate!

yeah....but.....Sven.....Robinson......rubbish....

I HATE CHANGE

:huh:

QUOTE (nicko @ Jul 24 2008, 05:52 ) *

Injury.

ON BRESCIANO...I am always wary of players described as 'versatile' - a pal of mine watched him for another Premier League side last season and said he wasn't good enough.

I think your friend needs to go back and have another look at who he was watching. The fact that he has been one of the shining lights in a club IN THE SERIE A who narrowly missed out on Champions League qualification speaks volumes.

Bresciano is not versatile, he plays left wing or left sided midfield.

He is also better then any midfielder we currently have.

1. We lose a top keeper and replace him with an inferior one but because he's young and inferior that's OK?

2. We are about to sign a Chilean who represents a huge gamble. Never played outside of South America and Ince has only seen him on video so far. After the debacle with Castillo I'll wait until he's played a dozen or so games in English conditions before I get too carried away with that one.

3. We were crying out for strengthening in January but failed to do so. A decision which led to Mark Hughes and an excellent backroom team all moving on. We replace them with a manager who has no qualifications, has managed only in the Fourth Division and has surrounded himself with a backroom team assembled from the Fourth Division and the unemployment line.

4. We have our most creative player virtually knocking the door down to get out and seem unable to make signings until we find someone to buy him. Warnock and Santa Cruz continue to be the subject of speculation.

5. We are looking at Fowler, a player who was a prolific goalscorer a number of years ago but in more recent times has earned a living based on a past reputation and is of an age, for a front player, where time is definately not on his side.

6. The gaps that needed filling in January still need filling but now we have weakened the team even further by selling Brad.

I know that there are those who think we are having a wonderful summer and that everything is working out superbly for the club. Sadly, there are many more, myself included, who believe that the summer has turned into a disaster and that the club is like a rudderless ship.

I suspect after the first ten games or so we will know which group of supporters is correct. I hope I am wrong and that everything works out well but after forty odd years of watching the club I must admit that this kind of scenario is not new but it nearly always ends in tears.

Nearly all those arguments are flawed. Robinson isn't a top keeper? OK........then neither was Brad when he signed.

Huge gamble on a player that has never played outside Chile? So you want us to sign established Premier League player? What like Fowler you mean? The Chilean comes with a MASSIVE reputation.

Bentley wanted out long before the new manager came in.

Warnock and Santa Cruz continue to be the subject of speculation? And what are we supposed to do about SPECULATION? Just because a club is interested in one of our players, that's all it it - interest.

I don't see how selling Brad is weakening us. He made mistakes last season and whilst he played well overall, it's going to be downhill from here on. Robinson has it all ahead of him - he certainly offers more promise than when Brad joined us from Liverpool.

------------

I wish all you bloody doom and gloom merchants would grow up and stop this act of sensationalism every time a snippet of a myth gets linked to/printed etc. Bentley is off - good. The money from that will make us a better squad overall. Just leave them to it!

I am sure this has been said before but, very few supporters if any can say they want to see Friedel leave. He has served Rovers well and long. By the very fact that he has done so much for Rovers i can see past him leaving and getting a paycheck that BRFC are not willing to give. I don't want him leaving but, if Brad go's i say "the very best of luck to you and thanks a million". He won't be leaving unless Robinson onboard and P.R. will do well.

Mr. Warnock is the thing to be worrying about.

I am sure this has been said before but, very few supporters if any can say they want to see Friedel leave. He has served Rovers well and long.

Indeed he has served the club well, but the time is right for a change in goal. Friedel, while being THE top keeper in the Premiership for the last few years, has shown signs of teetering on the edge over the past few months. Slowly (probably VERY slowly) downhill from here, and a good time for good business sense to prevail.

I'd rather remember him at the top of his game in a Rovers shirt, and that is more or less where he is now.

However as I said it can only be downhill for him from here, and I wouldn't enjoy watching his decline. The time is right with a good fee as well. :tu:

According to the Independent, we have had an offer of £3 million accepted for Paul Robinson.

The club have also demanded that the deal be done in cash, and any deal for Bentley be done in cash also, with no players involved in the deal...

Indeed he has served the club well, but the time is right for a change in goal. Friedel, while being THE top keeper in the Premiership for the last few years, has shown signs of teetering on the edge over the past few months. Slowly (probably VERY slowly) downhill from here, and a good time for good business sense to prevail.

I'd rather remember him at the top of his game in a Rovers shirt, and that is more or less where he is now.

However as I said it can only be downhill for him from here, and I wouldn't enjoy watching his decline. The time is right with a good fee as well. :tu:

Steve, I agree 100%, especially if we can bring in Robinson at a reasonable price.

I believe Nicko made this quote before Villa started slinging big paycheck numbers in Friedel's direction. Again we can't blame Friedel for wanting a great paycheck in the twilight of his career.

Good to see a sane balance return to these boards and this thread.

Of course we all nervous as anything about what Ince is going to produce on the football field but it is equally true the steam was well and truly going out of the Hughes team so far as Rovers were concerned. That Birmingham performance and collective lack of shame was terrifying.

I am not worried too much if Bentley stays- his desire and hunger for the top would surely drive him on and he has had too many wasted seasons at Arsenal and Norwich not to produce the goods at the one and only club he has managed to produce the goods for so far.

Good luck to Brad at Villa. He will be earning a 50% bonus on all the money he's ever earned through football at the fantastic age of 37 and I really don't think there is any other sub-text to his departure. The big man came out and backed Ince when many, myself included, were 100% against Ince's appointment. I think Brad has far too much integrity to have said those strong words in support of Ince days before his appointment and not to have meant them.

I am frankly gobsmacked at the deal we are getting for the sale of Brad and purchase of Robinson.

I am excited by Villanueva.

I am concerned if Warnock goes seriously into transfer play.

I am worried that RSC will be a target.

I am glad that we still probably have £10m in the kitty before we have to sell to buy (unlike Liverpool, Spurs and Pompey by all accounts). I am glad that only two star players are subject to actual transfer bids and that one hasn't gone and the other is only going when we have a decent replacement (unlike Arsenal and Spurs), I am glad that Man U and Chelsea fans are feeling what its like to have star players wantaway when they and the club don't want them to go, I am glad that every penny that comes in is directly for the Rovers playing side (unlike Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, City and quite possibly Everton), I am glad Rovers have already been through their economy drive and not doing it now (unlike Newcastle and West Ham) and I am glad the club is not facing a potential melt-down when the owner's current trial reaches its conclusion (unlike City).

I've just had an LET through my door saying that 'Blackburn Rovers are hoping to tie up a deal for the Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson in the next 24 hours'. Last night Williams said 'We have made good progress with our bid, but there are still some details to sort out.' And as we already know, it says Friedel will be allowed to speak to Villa once Robinson is signed.

Edit- oh, also it says that Bobby Mimms may be returning to the club as a coach.

absolutely. robinson IS class. more than brad had showed before we signed him, and we get him for almost nothing? i bet jason brown cost us more than robinson do, considering the money from brad.

I'm not sure if I'm fundamentally misunderstanding your point here, but...I'm fairly sure we got Jason Brown for free. And Robinson's wages will dwarf his. My biggest worry is will they be above what we were paying Brad? If so this seems extra stupid.

Nicko - I appreciate that you've probably been catching some Z's for the last few hours or so but what developments have been developing over night?

Just what on earth has John Williams been doing for the last few hours?! The season is only three weeks away and yet, your going to tell me, he has time to sleep?! :angry:

Archived