BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should have got Sam in during the summer. After taking up a similar sized club as us up (with far less money or talent at his disposal as Souness had) he then slowly kept improving them until they had four top-eight finishes in his last four seasons with them. This is something we ourselves have ONLY ONCE managed to do since the First World War...and that was with Jack´s millions in the nineties!!!

The football was not pretty (bit like under Hughes some might say) but he did wonders on a small budget. Something he would have to do here. The only time I remember him really splashing out was on Nicolas Anelka and Bolton almost doubled their money on him. There were plenty of poor signings too but that happens when shopping in the bargain basement.

With the Ince experiment having left us in the relegation zone with a trip to Portsmouth followed by Liverpool at home coming up...we need someone with the right experience this time of running a club similar to ours and in such a predicament. BFS is the name that springs to mind.

Hiya guys, I for one was dead against BFS, however with hindsight I think he is made for a team like Rovers. With the current crop of players he will at least save us from relegation this season. He has a track record for 'progressing' a club of similar size. He has a proper startegy and plan behind what he does. Unlike our current manager who has for me has just dropped standards so far down across the club its inevitable we will be relegated if we dont get rid now.

I still don't want Allardyce and I'm not overly enthusiastic about Curbishley. But if not then who, if Ince goes?

Where is Steve Cotterill, these days? Or Stan Ternant; Billie Davies; Then there's Alan Pardew.

king kenny/big col, newell or shearer.

Kenny wouldn't come back, the reasons being he probly doesn't want to return to management and that we are not the club he left, meaning we are a lot less well off now.

If I'm honest BFS and his 100 backroom staff does seem to be the only way were getting out of this

Just came to work after sleeping through a nightmare, where we are 1-0 down against Spurs, and I miss a gilted chance in the 90th minute......

Never felt so down since the last days of the Souness era..........

I was initially not a fan of BFS , but given our position, and budget, he will seem like a God-send now......

BobbyG, do you think we can convince Sam if we gatecrash his studio in Dubai sometime ...... ?

Curbishley did a fantastic job at Charlton.You only have to look at their current predicament to see that.The Charlton fans want him back.He was also doing a reasonable job at West Ham.He has proven Premiership pedigree and left Charlton the season before they went down.

Strong rumour is that he'll back at Charlton this week

And that is when I remember there is no point arguing with you.....

Replace an inexperienced manager with somebody more inexperienced or somebody who has been out of the game for 10 years.

That really is thinking "outside of the box"

lol

People should get the thought of having shearer as a Rovers manager out of their heads. He may well have been a good player - but he has shown time and time again he does not have the bottle to go into management. a number of time the Newcastle job has come up - his club and he turned it down, didn't put himself forward etc. In Rovers current position he would be a worse appointment than Ince - which is saying something.

Curbs was sacked being he had bust ups with the owners and didnt like how the clubs, both West Ham and Charlton were being run...

He has a excellent knowledge of players. Knows what tactics to use at what time. Knows what players are best used in what positions. Knows who needs to be subbed on/off the field at the right time!

A big no to Curbishley. Did you actually see what rubbish he bought with the huge transfer kitty he was handed by the Icelandic owners in January 2007 and the following summer? He's got absolutely no knowledge of up-and-coming players and players from the continent, which is why the West Ham board brought in technical director Gianluca Nani. Check out this list of the footballing gems Curbs brought in during his West Ham spell:

Lucas Neill

Kieron Dyer (£6m - has played TWO league matches for West Ham so far)

Scott Parker [£6m - 29 league matches so far)

Craig Bellamy (£7.5 m - 17 league matches)

Luis Boa Morte (£5 m - rated as the worst West Ham player since Marco Boogers, and has been booed off for over a year)

Matthew Upson (£7.5 m - granted, a good player, but £7.5m? Give me a break)

Julien Faubert (£6.1 m - has been absolutely dire in the 19 matches he has played for West Ham)

Calum Davenport (£3m - yes, that is THREE MILLION POUNDS paid for Calum Davenport)

Nigel Quashie (£1.75m - footballing genius)

I've got several West Ham friends, and have spent quite a lot of time at the West Ham forum (www.kumb.com) the past couple of years. Almost noone liked Curbs and his extremely negative football and non-existant tactical nous. The three 4-0 defeats in a row this last winter spring to mind. His gameplan when West Ham was a goal or two down often consisted of taking off Mark Noble or some other attacking player and sticking Hayden Mullins on (a defensive midfielder who's a worse passer of the football than Mokoena). His teams often have a habit of just giving up when halfway through the season and when relegation is out of the question. The West Ham fans had been calling for Curbs' head for over six months when he finally got the boot, due to his extremely negative football and personality. Check out West Ham's form from January to May 2008. Not exactly an impressive sight. Curbs is NOT the answer.

If the club decide to make a change - and I honestly believe that it's a big IF - then I would welcome Sam Allardyce with open arms. The sad fact is that Blackburn Rovers are not likely to attract any major investment in the near future. As a result, we can only maintain our Premiership status with a manager at the helm who can wheel and deal and operate on a shoestring budget. Sam proved he could do that at Bolton and be successful.

The quality of the football has to take second place to Premiership survival and, let's be honest, our present commitment to total football is not very entertaining. Yesterday, the Tottenham 'keeper could have come and sat in the stand with me for all the work he had to do in the second half. Passing pretty triangles on the half-way line or deep in our own half is not all that entertaining.

The big plus for me with regard to Allardyce is that he has a great knowledge of the transfer market and he has embraced all of the latest technology. I agree that he was unsuccessful at Newcastle but, in truth, he wasn't appointed by Ashley and there was clearly a conflict between manager and new owner. However, Blackburn is the type of club he HAS done well with and I really believe he could get us out of the mess we are in.

If the club decide to make a change - and I honestly believe that it's a big IF - then I would welcome Sam Allardyce with open arms. The sad fact is that Blackburn Rovers are not likely to attract any major investment in the near future. As a result, we can only maintain our Premiership status with a manager at the helm who can wheel and deal and operate on a shoestring budget. Sam proved he could do that at Bolton and be successful.

I've stood on for Allardyce for long enough BUT any misgivings I have are that he successfully resurrected and motivated aged underperforming players. Hughes did it with much younger ones which we have been able to sell on at vast profit.

I was dead against Sam in the summer & still would be if it were summer when we had Ten Cate & Brian Laudrup available But i think now the only man to save us will be Sam. I would like to see what he would do with the current squad! .......Sorry sam, I was wrong!

make your mind up,on the other thread you still want ince ,at least til crimbo.

Archived