BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
make your mind up,on the other thread you still want ince ,at least til crimbo.

I would love for Ince to turn it around & would rather that then look for another manager, this is why i say give him until christmas but unfortunately we cannot give him any longer!

I think given time Ince would be good for the club & I dont like the newcastle/spurs kneejerk reaction style. But the board will have to take action before january if we continue loosing

.....This thread is for opinions on Aldardyce, the other is a thread for JWs predicament hence the different points given!

Wrong one, it was Michael. Who has won 4 of his 7 games in charge of Spartak Moscow.

Brian might be worth a thought!

There are a bunch of people on here criticising the current team for aimlessly lumping the ball up to Roque. I won't say it was aimless but that is essentially what Bolton did under Allardyce, with midfielders running off Davies for second balls. Also, what seems to have escaped everybody's notice is it took Allardyce YEARS to get Bolton playing the way they did at the point he left, during which time they were the stereotypical yo-yo club. When he had to turn something round quickly (a club with way more resources than us) he failed. So I'm not convinced he would be the saviour everyone thinks. Still, better than Curbishley.

Crumbs. How dire is our situation to think the Bolton Butcher is a better option?

Just as he was burning the phone lines down into Ewood as soon as City asked to speak to Hughes, BFS's publicity team have gone into overdrive in recent weeks. Articles in the Observer, Times and other media, interviews on TalkSport, PA's, Sky etc. firmly reminding everyone of his availability & trying to tempt chairman into pressing the ejector seats at clubs.

If he was so good, why is he out of a job and why does he need so much spin?

IMO, we need to closely consider our goals here. It seems the board went for Ince with a long-term plan, but our subsequent fall from grace is both alarming & very, very dangerous. That said, wouldn't going for BFS be too short-term & a just a case of 'firefighting'?

It's all conjecture at this stage, but we need to think very closely on two things - could he DEFINITELY save us from relegation, and what happens for the future if he does (or doesn't?).

It's too simplistic to think we didn't go for Allardyce just because of some adverse reactions from fans - it's giving the board far too much credit for being in touch, and conveniently ignoring the fact there were other more important reasons why we didn't go for him.

His childish, stubborn reaction to 'not wanting the job anyway' when he knew he wasn't getting it speaks volumes.

Let's also not forget that one stick used to beat Ince with - some historical disparaging remarks about Blackburn and our club - have also been used on several occasions by BFS.

Let's also not forget that several of the factors used to criticise Ince's tenure - backroom staff, unpopularity, players out of positions, fall-outs with staff/board, 'tactical' injuries, obnoxious and arrogant media profile, etc. were prevalent in his last job.

It's classic misdirection to trot out the cliche about him doing well on a budget; consider the player churn at Bolton, the high wages they paid certain players, his operating costs for his staff & his technology, and last but not least the change that fell down the sofa.

The fella comes with baggage, that's for sure, and I'm pretty certain he'd be the bookies favourite if the position became available. However, I'd suggest that Rovers would only curtail Ince's tenure if they were certain they had a ready-made appointment, such as Spurs did with Redknapp.

The single most salient fact about Allardyce is this IMO - he's not a candidate on his own merits, it's more a function of him being 'not as bad as Paul Ince'. He'd arguably have a similar section of dissenters to Ince, and no doubt some of the Ince detractors would conveniently ignore the factors they criticised Ince for if/when they become apparent if BFS rolls into town?

Keep Ince or bring Allardyce in? Isn't it like knowing you're the last man on Earth, and the future depended on you making whoopee with Mandy Dingle or Amy Winehouse? Either way we're goosed.....

There are a bunch of people on here criticising the current team for aimlessly lumping the ball up to Roque. I won't say it was aimless but that is essentially what Bolton did under Allardyce, with midfielders running off Davies for second balls. Also, what seems to have escaped everybody's notice is it took Allardyce YEARS to get Bolton playing the way they did at the point he left, during which time they were the stereotypical yo-yo club. When he had to turn something round quickly (a club with way more resources than us) he failed. So I'm not convinced he would be the saviour everyone thinks. Still, better than Curbishley.

I really don't wish to intrude upon private grief or get into a "my club's better than your club" conversation. However that's the biggest load of tripe that I have seen posted in your current debates about the future of Ince and his possible replacement with Allardyce. We were a yo-yo club prior to the start of his reign - under Colin Todd mainly.

Sam's reign as manager of BWFC is none too shabby.

2000 -01 Promoted to PL via play-offs

2001-02 16th

2002-03 17th

2003-04 8th

2004-05 6th

2005-06 8th

2006-07 7th

He then left us to join the Newcastle Lunatic Asylum.

We were no more a yo-yo club under Allardyce than you are a "bunch of northern cloggers" © Arsene Whinger and the Southern media. ;)

I would love for Ince to turn it around & would rather that then look for another manager, this is why i say give him until christmas but unfortunately we cannot give him any longer!

I think given time Ince would be good for the club & I dont like the newcastle/spurs kneejerk reaction style. But the board will have to take action before january if we continue loosing

.....This thread is for opinions on Aldardyce, the other is a thread for JWs predicament hence the different points given!

Brian might be worth a thought!

Could be like the Charlton brothers though. Jack excellent manager - Bobby much better player but rubbish at management

I really don't wish to intrude upon private grief or get into a "my club's better than your club" conversation. However that's the biggest load of tripe that I have seen posted in your current debates about the future of Ince and his possible replacement with Allardyce. We were a yo-yo club prior to the start of his reign - under Colin Todd mainly.

Sam's reign as manager of BWFC is none too shabby.

2000 -01 Promoted to PL via play-offs

2001-02 16th

2002-03 17th

2003-04 8th

2004-05 6th

2005-06 8th

2006-07 7th

He then left us to join the Newcastle Lunatic Asylum.

We were no more a yo-yo club under Allardyce than you are a "bunch of northern cloggers" © Arsene Whinger and the Southern media. ;)

I do apologise - you are clearly better qualified than me to comment on Allardyce at Bolton, and I was clearly wrong about the yo-yo comment. However, your figures do seem to support my assertion that it took 2 years to establish you as the team that you were. My question therefore remains - can Allardyce turn us around in a matter of months? The jury is still out on that I think.

P.S. Have you seen us recently - Whinger may have a point...

I have to admit, I'd take Big Sam in an instance.

My memory isn't serving me well at the moment so I'll have to ask; how did the Souness appointment go down in general? He had a pretty poor reputation in English football and I can't imagine he was a likeable character amongst clubs he had no affiliation with. Similarities with a potential Big Sam appointment perhaps?

If the rumours we're hearing about transfer funds is true then Allardyce could be the only option if we want to be challenging for Europe again. He did it year in, year out with Bolton so I can't see why he couldn't with us. It might not be pretty, but right now that has to be way down the list of our priorities?

Thank goodness, no-one's mentioned Souness.

Oops.

Get him back in I say. You guys are all too soft. Souness had us flirting with relegation, but never seriously mired in the drop zone. He had the street smarts to jag an important win at the right time. A case in point was when he started Stead and Gally in a crucial tie at Newcastle. We won (I think Stead got a brace), and the competition for places up front had a positive effect there in.

There is no doubt he lost his way towards the end... but I honestly believe a fresh start would get the best out of him. And as far as I can tell, he has remained positive about Rovers, and his time with us. This in contrast to scathing commentary on Newcastle and its supporters.

Despite the above, I was for Big Sam in the summer, and he remains my first preference.

Get him back in I say. You guys are all too soft. Souness had us flirting with relegation, but never seriously mired in the drop zone. He had the street smarts to jag an important win at the right time. A case in point was when he started Stead and Gally in a crucial tie at Newcastle. We won (I think Stead got a brace), and the competition for places up front had a positive effect there in.

There is no doubt he lost his way towards the end... but I honestly believe a fresh start would get the best out of him. And as far as I can tell, he has remained positive about Rovers, and his time with us. This in contrast to scathing commentary on Newcastle and its supporters.

Despite the above, I was for Big Sam in the summer, and he remains my first preference.

OK- the only suggestion as bad as keeping Ince. Prize to Shaddy

I don't know were he lives now, but it used to be the Turton, Bradshaw area which is closer to Ewood Park than Horwich is! ^_^

Fair enough G. I can't help Bolton being such a big town. ;)

He's from Dudley. Lived in Bolton since he signed for us aged 15. He's now 54. Married to a Bolton lass and they still live in Turton / Bradshaw area I believe. (When he's not in Dubai.)

Won't manage us again whilst Gartside is around, I understand. Which is a pity.

I do apologise - you are clearly better qualified than me to comment on Allardyce at Bolton, and I was clearly wrong about the yo-yo comment. However, your figures do seem to support my assertion that it took 2 years to establish you as the team that you were. My question therefore remains - can Allardyce turn us around in a matter of months? The jury is still out on that I think.

P.S. Have you seen us recently - Whinger may have a point...

No probs RTH. I think you are right. Whoever comes in will take time to right what is clearly wrong in your camp at the moment. However, as another poster pointed out, we managed a similar exercise succesfully in righting the Sammy Lee disaster. Close run thing, though! I would back Allardyce over Megson in that scenario too. (Although credit where credit's due, the Ginger Mourinho is now getting it together.)

I posted a couple of comments when Allardyce's name came up on here prior to the appointment of Ince. I said that Allardyce was the better option for you, although I did not think Ince and his staff would be as poor as they have turned out to be, I must say. I am no Allardyce champion though. I "hate" him for the way in which he left us, ostensibly because he wanted a break from the game, only for him to then appear as Newcastle's next saviour. He then proceeded to return to Bolton for players and staff. I know that that's the way of the world but, as a fan, it rankled.

All that having been said he is an excellent manager who will achieve results for you if he is appointed. I cannot think of a better option for you. Stick with Ince and you are toast.

I remember at least one Newcastle fan coming on here and slating him big-time.

Can't say I'm too enamoured, and neither do I think he's guaranteed to get us out of the sticky-stuff. He'll also bring a bus-load of helpers with him, which we can ill-afford after we give Ince the (almost inevitable) bullet and sack off all of his mates, I mean technical staff.

I don't know what the answer is but it sure as heck isn't Paul Ince.

The thing that occurs to me with BFS is the lack of a right hand man now Phil Brown is doing his own thing and Sammy Lee is back at Liverpool. Any ideas who he would bring in at this stage?

I thought he was tailor made for the job back in the Summer, whether he would take the job from a cap-in-hand Rovers board now is a moot point.

Archived