BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a very good reason Beattie dropped down into the Championship for a while (and not by relegation either) - he's incredibly average. He'd be decent back up but he's nothing like a Roque replacement.

There's a very good reason Beattie dropped down into the Championship for a while (and not by relegation either) - he's incredibly average. He'd be decent back up but he's nothing like a Roque replacement.

Will he score more goals than Kenwyne Jones? For a far smaller price?

I'd take Beattie if possible and spend a larger chunk of the cash elsewhere, particularly if we tie up the Di Santo loan.

Beattie seemed to bang in goals for Stoke when they drafted him in. So, with Sam's possible direct style of play, I think he could do a decent job here as well, if the price is right of course. At least he'd maybe WANT to play for Rovers, as opposed to some of the mercenaries that play the game these days.

Will he score more goals than Kenwyne Jones? For a far smaller price?

I'd take Beattie if possible and spend a larger chunk of the cash elsewhere, particularly if we tie up the Di Santo loan.

I'm not keen on Jones, but on his day he looks a world beater, the problem is that he doesn't have enough of those days. If Sam could get some consistency out of him I think he'd be better than Beattie.

I just think signing Beattie is accepting mediocrity, he's a lower-mid table player at the very best (he showed that at Everton) and a Championship player on his off days (or seasons...).

I'm not building my hopes up for Di Santo at all either. I have seen nothing of him and he's only ever played in the same league as Villanueva did and we all know how that turned out.

Bellamy? and as Torgeir says, Duff had one as well. How do you know there aren't others? Why couldn't we have got £18m for Rocky without the clause? The decision of when and if he left would have been ours, not the buying clubs.

The decision of when and if he left was purely down to RSC. If he was willing to honour his contract and be loyal to the club he would be here now.

He wasn't interested in playing for Rovers so we had to get rid. £18m is good money for a player with RSC's history of injuries.

Bellamy's the major example of a release clause coming back to bite us on the arse. He'd just had one heck of a season - his best to date, and we had to let him go for peanuts.

Also as Meangreenmachine pointed out - since Stoke signed Beattie his value will no doubt have increased drastically due to his performances for them. IF we wanted him we should have gone for him in January - now is too late.

I'm not keen on Jones, but on his day he looks a world beater, the problem is that he doesn't have enough of those days. If Sam could get some consistency out of him I think he'd be better than Beattie.

I just think signing Beattie is accepting mediocrity, he's a lower-mid table player at the very best (he showed that at Everton) and a Championship player on his off days (or seasons...).

I'm not building my hopes up for Di Santo at all either. I have seen nothing of him and he's only ever played in the same league as Villanueva did and we all know how that turned out.

We are a mid table side at best at the moment and we need someone to come in and work hard for the club. Beattie is not my ideal choice but he's a local lad who will surely show some urgency and be willing to go the extra mile. Beattie however would cost at least £6m or £7m or so as you would expect Stoke to make a profit from the January signing although he may not be as demanding for wages.

Jones would be a great signing. He's had his fair share of injuries but has showed some great displays an a less that average side at Sunderland. I think he'd be a good addition to our side.

The decision of when and if he left was purely down to RSC. If he was willing to honour his contract and be loyal to the club he would be here now.

He wasn't interested in playing for Rovers so we had to get rid. £18m is good money for a player with RSC's history of injuries.

Once the release clause had been agreed, the decision of when he left was in the hands of Man City, not us. Agreed, the release clause ended at the end of June, but while it was in effect it was in the hands of Mark Hughes. Yes, one of our best players in the hands of Mark Hughes!

As for the fee being guaranteed, a release clause doesn't guarantee the best price either. Who's to say Hughes wouldn't have gone to 19 or 20 Mill?

We need a top class striker for next season. Ive heard many names mentioned. Its going to be interesting to see who we sign. I havent a clue who it will be but im sure Big Sam wont let us down. Crouch? Zamora? Ashton? Id take any of them if the price was right and they are all seemingly looking away. Lets just wait and see what happens! :D

Once the release clause had been agreed, the decision of when he left was in the hands of Man City, not us. Agreed, the release clause ended at the end of June, but while it was in effect it was in the hands of Mark Hughes. Yes, one of our best players in the hands of Mark Hughes!

As for the fee being guaranteed, a release clause doesn't guarantee the best price either. Who's to say Hughes wouldn't have gone to 19 or 20 Mill?

But Man City were the only team in for him, they'd have gone no higher than £10m.

We need a top class striker for next season. Ive heard many names mentioned. Its going to be interesting to see who we sign. I havent a clue who it will be but im sure Big Sam wont let us down. Crouch? Zamora? Ashton? Id take any of them if the price was right and they are all seemingly looking away. Lets just wait and see what happens! :D

I never thought I'd see "Top class striker" and "Bobby Zamora" in the same post.

We are a mid table side at best at the moment

Right, which is why we should spend the money on someone who can move us up a level or two, no point in spending the money to stand still. Beattie got completely found out at Everton, his level is yo-yoing between the Championship and clubs like Stoke. He's always had purple patches in his career, he had one at Stoke but history suggests he'll go cold again very quickly.

Sentiment really shouldn't be playing part in replacing Roque, and I can't find much of an argument to bring him back other than that. I honestly don't think he's any better than Roberts - better finishing maybe, but then Roberts has the pace to get himself in positions Beattie wouldn't.

Stoke completely played to his strengths as well by having lots of width and lots of crosses, it was obvious what their game plan was when Etherington was signed too. We don't have the players to play that way so I don't think he'd be anywhere near as successful with us as he was there.

We were incredibly lucky to get a striker of Roques quality & the fact that he cost only 3.5million was even more unheard of. To replace him we need to spend a minimum of the 13 million we have in our transfer kitty otherwise we are settling for a lesser striker or we are taking chances as we did with Roque!!

Soif the club are saying they want a Roque REPLACEMENT they need to back it up with cash! We are all aware that a fully fit Roque is a TOP CLASS striker & that is why he went for 18 miliion!!

Am I missing the point? They did go higher than 10m.

They had to as the release clause was around the £18m mark.

Right, which is why we should spend the money on someone who can move us up a level or two, no point in spending the money to stand still. Beattie got completely found out at Everton, his level is yo-yoing between the Championship and clubs like Stoke. He's always had purple patches in his career, he had one at Stoke but history suggests he'll go cold again very quickly.

Sentiment really shouldn't be playing part in replacing Roque, and I can't find much of an argument to bring him back other than that. I honestly don't think he's any better than Roberts - better finishing maybe, but then Roberts has the pace to get himself in positions Beattie wouldn't.

Stoke completely played to his strengths as well by having lots of width and lots of crosses, it was obvious what their game plan was when Etherington was signed too. We don't have the players to play that way so I don't think he'd be anywhere near as successful with us as he was there.

I agree, Beattie is not my ideal choice either. I think Jones could help take us back to the next level. There are a lot of names being brought up, big money names at that. I think Kenwyne Jones could be a realistic signing without shattering the wage structure. Jones and a loan signing would be ideal.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,...1716436,00.html

I do like his quote at the end;

"It isn't just a striker I'm after, it's all about building the squad in terms of strength in depth and the sort of quality needed to compete in the Premier League on a regular basis."

And if what Nicko says is true about all the names getting bandied about, then I hope Sam finds some good players, that means we can push on for mid-table to Europa League placing this season.

We were incredibly lucky to get a striker of Roques quality & the fact that he cost only 3.5million was even more unheard of. To replace him we need to spend a minimum of the 13 million we have in our transfer kitty otherwise we are settling for a lesser striker or we are taking chances as we did with Roque!!

Soif the club are saying they want a Roque REPLACEMENT they need to back it up with cash! We are all aware that a fully fit Roque is a TOP CLASS striker & that is why he went for 18 miliion!!

im not saying santa cruz didnt do well for us in his first season he did great.... but correct me if im wrong but wasnt it the

best season he had in a few years? so hes had 1 good year out of 6... if we looked at a guy like that to sign for us you would

all go crazy at a price of 18 million... this roque replacement is getting a little like he was a god... remember guys he had 1

good season...

Beattie is just as inconsistent as Jones will ever be, and he's not young anymore. He's no more than an aging poor man's Roque and it's not the way to go. Either we sign someone who's on top of their game right now, or we sign someone with promise to become a top striker. If we're signing players based solely on the fact that they fit Sam's style of football we might as well sign donkeys as fullbacks and stick Andre the Giant upfront. FORE!

It will probably be Amr Zaki who will sign for us. He's available and won't return to Wigan. Big and strong lad.

Zaki is not an option, Bent however is

Also - Sam on Vieri

"Christian is a terrific player, a great talent and if he still has the self motivation and dedication then fine.”

"Obviously it is bit of a long shot but there is no harm in having a good look at a top quality player like him.”

Sam on selling stars:

"John Wiliams has said that Roque and Matt Derbyshire were enough to satisfy the bank and give me some of that money to go into the transfer market.

If I was going to do any more it would be because I would want to move one player out and bring two in. That is the only reason I would have to do that.

"I certainly don't want to lose any more of my best players so we will have to wait and see but nobody has bid for anyone that I am aware of.

It might mean that we do a little bit of trading here and there but that is not the Warnock's and the Samba's, that is other players if I have to do that.

Sam on future transfers:

He said: The close season has been as mad as ever. Instead of me being in Austria I am back at the club as always trying to sign players. It is not just a striker and we are finished - not for me.

We need to do more in terms of building the squad and building strength in depth and its quality, with experience. When I say build one, I am not talking about numbers I am talking about quality.

The quality needed to compete in the Premier League on a regular basis and players will come and turn up between now and the 31st of August that will be very, very interesting and very tasty for this football club.

I would be able to bring in two more if the squad was to stay the same but that is depending how much we spend on the striker.

"If it is three that would be the maximum. After that we would have to start trading in and trading out.”

LET

Archived