BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone there tonight?

LOTS of experience in our squad tonight...

Yep, I headed across with my five-year-old daughter.

Her first taste of Rovers – and not a single goal to get excited about. Great.

I wouldn't say anyone really stood out. Linganzi looked assured on the ball and rarely put a foot wrong.

Grella was showing well until he went off injured and Nelly was solid, despite looking a bit ring rusty.

Poorest on the field was Chimbonda. Grella gave him a huge bollocking after about 15 minutes and everyone in the 177 crowd will have heard a few of his choice Aussie words.

Poorest on the field was Chimbonda. Grella gave him a huge bollocking after about 15 minutes and everyone in the 177 crowd will have heard a few of his choice Aussie words.

I would imagine that Chimbonda cares very little for reserve football.

Shame, because he'll have to be getting used to it.

Yep, I headed across with my five-year-old daughter.

Her first taste of Rovers – and not a single goal to get excited about. Great.

I wouldn't say anyone really stood out. Linganzi looked assured on the ball and rarely put a foot wrong.

Grella was showing well until he went off injured and Nelly was solid, despite looking a bit ring rusty.

What formation do we play and where do Linganzi and Basturk fit in? My understanding was that they were both attacking midfielders in the mould of Dunn but with Grella also playing where did they line up?

That must be one of our strongest reserve sides ever, shame they have the same problem as the first team in not bieng able to find the back fo the net. How did Basturk do anyone who went? I presume he was playing just off Di Santo in attack.

That must be one of our strongest reserve sides ever, shame they have the same problem as the first team in not bieng able to find the back fo the net. How did Basturk do anyone who went? I presume he was playing just off Di Santo in attack.

Yep, played just off Franco.

Very industrious and hard working but lacked the killer pass against what can only be described as a young Citeh defence.

Had a couple of chances to shoot from the edge of the area – like a few other players – but lacked the confidence to take a chance.

On this evidence, I'm not sure that he would give the first team anything different if we played him in any of the final few games.

I thought tonight's performance by the Reserves resembled something of a training exercise. A number of senior players in action, some getting back to full fitness, and it seemed as if getting 90 minutes under their belt was the prime object of the evening. The Rovers lacked the urgency which we get with the younger players while City's youngsters were prepared to hustle and bustle their more illustrious opponents.

Linganzi again caught the eye while Emerton and Jacobsen worked hard down the right flank. Hoillet let himself down by hanging onto the ball and trying to beat one player to many while the least said about Di Santo's performance the better. I feel rather sorry for him as he appears to be losing heart at the moment. After last week's two goal display against Burnley he struggled to make any impression tonight against a very young City team.

Basturk has neat touches but seems to be lacking in fitness and his recent injury hasn't helped. He is clearly a talented player but I suspect that he needs a full pre-season's training to get him up to speed.

Grella had a decent first half but then suffered another injury which must make him doubtful for the weekend.

All in all it was a rather disappointing night but that's usually the way when the Reserves are made up of mainly senior players as opposed to the younger lads.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give me the low down on Linganzi? I know he's been playing well for the reserves and has featured on the first team bench a few times but I've never seen him play before so not sure what type of player he is and what his main attributes are? If you were to compare him to another footballer, who would you suggest he was similar to?

Despite the stupid KO time, is anyone from here going to the reserve game against the Dingles at Accy on Tuesday?

I am hoping to after the Academy game just before hand, will be a dash from Brockhall but hopefully will be, just have to get a ticket tomorrow!

Also did anyone else know there was a play-off between North and South Winners of the reserve leagues? If Rovers win on Tuesday they will probably finish 3rd in the reserve table.

Archived