SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rip Bobby Robson

SamTheShrew

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never met Bobby Robson up close and aside from the touchline at Ewood only really on TV but he came across as a genuine bloke who fell in love with football as a child and decided he wanted to be a part of it for the rest of his life. Always a twinkle in his eye when he spoke about the game, his beloved Newcastle and England.

He appeared delighted when Shearer scored the penalty that gave England the victory of Germany that he (and all of us) would have loved to have seen 19 years ago. Even when he was in the final throws of the @#/? illness that cancer is, he was still loving his football.

RIP Bobby - one of the last true gentlemen of football.

RIP Sir Bobby :(

Like most my age (27) Italia 90 was my first World Cup were I started to take an interest in the game of football. I had started to show an interest in football but this was what got me hooked on the beautiful game and it was Sir Bobby's team that was the main reason. Since that time football has become a huge part of my life and has given me so much, maybe without that England team led by Sir Bobby this would never have happened. Over the years in his interviews he made me smile and I was so sad to see him looking so poorly when he was pictured on Sky at St James when Liverpool thrashed them. He always came accross as honest and genuine which is missing in not only the game but the world these days.

I am truely gutted by today :(

It's hard to describe how his death has made me feel. I respected him as a person and a manager. Italia 90 was definitely an inspiration, but his passion rubbed off on everybody. He was a fan of football and would never accept lazy players or foul play. He was also a rarity in that he successfully managed abroad.

When my 2 boys are older I will definitely make sure they understand how Sir Bobby put together arguably the best England team since '66, and gave us one of the most emotional World Cups ever.

A true loss to football and the world as a whole. RIP Sir Bobby - you were an inspiration.

Gutted!

What a thoroughly nice fella, always appeared to be considerate, genuine, passionate and respectful, all this whilst being a superior coach, tactician and man manager!

Was and always will be a role model to which all football managers should aspire to benchmark themselves against, no matter who they are or how long they have been in the game.

Best wishes to his family and friends, which, with his popularity having a truly global reach, will be a very sizeable group indeed!

The passing of a true legend.

Edit: Read the Guardian Link posted above and SAF's is real testimony to a truly great man!

This bit brought a smile to my face though (From Howard Wilkinson's happy memories)

"At one England Under-21 gathering, I selected Shola Ameobi who was a young striker at Newcastle under him. Bobby had also bought at great expense Carl Cort, a striker from Wimbledon.

"Shola had about six Christian names, most of them, to me, unpronounceable and in an attempt to put him at his ease on his debut performance, I called the lad over and asked him what Bobby called him when he was at the club.

"With absolutely no sense of resentment, rather more with a sense of love and understanding, Shola said, 'Carl Cort, mostly'.

Again, what a lovely fella.

Edited by daveoftherovers

Am feeling sad on hearing the news of Sir Bobby today.

In the same way as others on this thread, England at Italia '90 is when I fell in love with football. I also remember his grey suit with the crest over the pocket and how he took losing the semi-final v Germany with such good grace.

Have read countless stories today of how he would put other people first and take care of the little things.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

A true gentleman, a football fan, a good footballer (I'm told) and a great manager.

I cant think of anyone within the game thought of so highly by everyone.

One of the few people for whom the title "Sir" was deserved.

Thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

A gentleman and a true football man. A dying breed amongst the avarice, showbiz and win at all costs ambition of modern

football managers if you'll all forgive the pun. He looked very poorly at the match last week but I'm amazed that he died so soon after yet was still able to attend. Obviously a very brave and selfless act.

As a manager ..... Good, very good even but not a great. Maybe to become truly great managers need to have a bit of a tough bstard mentality about them and this may well have been his shortfall. He had the best player and playmaker that this country had seen for a generation in Hoddle yet would not / could not find a formula to play him in his best position and ended up wasting his world class talent on the wing. Also very fortunate latterly to have had the only other true world class playmaker at his disposal in Paul Gascoigne. Those two were exceptional talents which should somehow have seen us win something.

Edited by thenodrog

A gentleman and a true football man. A dying breed amongst the avarice, showbiz and win at all costs ambition of modern

football managers if you'll all forgive the pun. He looked very poorly at the match last week but I'm amazed that he died so soon after yet was still able to attend. Obviously a very brave and selfless act.

As a manager ..... Good, very good even but not a great. Maybe to become truly great managers need to have a bit of a tough bstard mentality about them and this may well have been his shortfall. He had the best player and playmaker that this country had seen for a generation in Hoddle yet would not / could not find a formula to play him in his best position and ended up wasting his world class talent on the wing. Also very fortunate latterly to have had the only other true world class playmaker at his disposal in Paul Gascoigne. Those two were exceptional talents which should somehow have seen us win something.

Not sure about that Gordon, most people remember him now obviously for his contribution to the 86 and 90 World Cups, but in my view he was much more at his managerial peak during his time at Ipswich (69-82 apparently.) What a side that was, one of the best two or three sides in England and indeed Europe consistently year in year out. George Burley was on the radio yesterday saying he only had to sign about 14 players for money over 12 years, because their youth policy was so incredibly successful. He also recalled how Robson managed to get 400,000 from Arsenal for Brian Talbot and brought in Muhren and Thyjssen (sp?) for 350k!! :o

Anyhow regardless of how good a manager he was or wasn't it was far more important ultimately he was such a gentleman and had such class. The radio was inundated with people ringing in yesterday who'd written to Robson and without exception they'd received handwritten replies. Can you imagine that nowadays?

A great loss.

Sir Bobby was one of the few football blokes who could breach the 'tribal' barriers in football.

Everybody seems to have a great fondness for the man.

I remember when he was getting slated by the press during his early time as England boss. I really felt for the guy. You could see the hurt in his eyes. I`m glad he proved them wrong.

RIP Sir Bobby. Football will miss you ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Even now, several weeks after Sir Bobby's death, I am yet to hear or read one single sick joke about his passing, which serves as a great testament to the man.

Agreed, and that's a pretty good barometer you're using - particularly these days.