BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam's January Targets

The Mirror is reporting that Sam is going to spend 4 million for Ruben Micael, a Portuguese midfielder. http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-boss-Sam-Allardyce-sets-his-sights-on-Portuguese-transfer-target-article211471.html

Here's Micael's wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BAben_Micael

I'm not opposed but I am sceptical. I didn't think that club had 4 million to spend,

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mirror is reporting that Sam is going to spend 4 million for Ruben Micael, a Portuguese midfielder. http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-boss-Sam-Allardyce-sets-his-sights-on-Portuguese-transfer-target-article211471.html

I'm not opposed but I am sceptical. I didn't think that club had 4 million to spend,

Its going to come down to who we sell, and how much we get for them. Id be disappointed if we sold Benni, but will be happy if we sold Roberts, Andrews and Reid. I cant see that happening, but fresh signings especially in midfield will be needed. Pedro Mendes and Achille Emana would be ace, but im not sure where the money is going to come from. Long story short, we skint i think

What Topman said. I cannot possibly see how we'd be given £4 million to spend even in the event that we somehow raised double that. It's just not going to happen - see the Warnock and RSC transfer's for proof.

We're struggling for saleable asset's as it is, so I can't see us spending over a couple of million for some time yet.

Think it's almost a bit earlier to think about what might happen in January, obviously with McCarthy possibly leaving and Di Santo going back to Chelsea you'd expect us to bring in another forward, although I doubt Benni will be allowed to leave until someone is lined up.

A lot can happen between now and then, Franco might get an injury and Benni might get back in the team and bang the goals in.

I'd expect it to be a wheel and deal winter though, possible loan deals and cheap options. Sam will be funding his own transers again I would suspect.

Alongside Benni, Zurab on a permanent deal, Olsson perhaps, are probably the ones most likely to go I would guess. Reid or Pedersen could also be available to avoid losing them on a free at the end of the year, I guess that depends on whether or not Sam sees them as first team options in the future. Perhaps with Reid and Emerton returning to fitness we might be able to offload Andrews.

Out - anyone with any talent

In - Nikolai Valuev, the jolly green giant, the angel of the north, an assortment of saudi arabian and guatemalan free transfers and Tom Finney coming out of retirement. I'm sure there'll be some scope for a few brown bags of readies in a service station somewhere.

Ruben Micael looked good, but a good marketing department can make any player look good. On the other hand, if Sam rates him he must have something goinig for him.

Is there a problem with Portuguese football? The stadiums looked near empty in his video.

He did make the Portugal squad this time so there has to be something about him. I dont really take youtube vids seriously.. But I agree with RoversSG dont think it will happen unless we ship benni 3 mil and andrews 1.5 mill and then have a bid of 2.5 mill accepted.. he is out of contract as well next year so it will be intresting.

That Bhukarov from Rubin Kazan looked sharp up front, against a very strong Barcelona team. However, we would not get him, but a striker with pace is what we need. Up front, apart from Di Santo we are terribly slow.

What happened to the "freebie" AMF player (name escapes me) that we trialled in October? Was he not good enough in spite of having a decent reputation with his past club, or did he fail Sam's famous test?

Camel Meriem - free agent - is due back in a couple of weeks after picking up a knee injury in training.

He will have a month or so to impress after that and could eb the answer for nothing.

If not, Sam will have to find someone else.

Is there a problem with Portuguese football? The stadiums looked near empty in his video.

Unfortunatly, that is what happens in most stadiums.

If the top 3 teams are not playing (Benfica, Sporting and Porto) and with the exception of Vitoria of Guimaraes that always has a decent crowd, all other teams have very few people on their games.

Main reasons: ticket prices, hours of the games, TV (5 games on tv each weekend out of 8), general suspition of corruption...

Out - anyone with any talent

In - Nikolai Valuev, the jolly green giant, the angel of the north, an assortment of saudi arabian and guatemalan free transfers and Tom Finney coming out of retirement. I'm sure there'll be some scope for a few brown bags of readies in a service station somewhere.

You forgot Robbie Fowler.

He looks good but I admit I haven't seen much of his games.

Everyone here thinks he deserves to be called for the national team.

Earlier this week, Nacional's president said that he would only leave for €10 million. I highly doubt that.

Camel Meriem - free agent - is due back in a couple of weeks after picking up a knee injury in training.

He will have a month or so to impress after that and could eb the answer for nothing.

If not, Sam will have to find someone else.

Best to play half a season with the worst central-midfield in the Premier League then. But at least we got to give that over-the-hill former Spanish international ludicrous wages incase our other five right-backs get injured.

If Salgado, Van Heerden and Kalinic can pass Allardyce's "famous"(*) tests then surely that indicates that they don't mean much.

(*) Can someone remind me why these are "famous"?

With the Di Santo situation in the balance, and our heavy dependence on Dunn for creativity, our attacking options could take priority in January. That said, I wouldn't mind us taking a look at Alan Smith as a holding midfield player. Grella can never get going, and we've yet to see Salgado given a shot there either. Smith could be the natural successor for Savage.

I dont have much of a problem with 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1, but not with MGP and Diouf on the wings. We cant have such a slow midfield, that needs to link up with the lone striker. If we had 2 pacy, skilfull wingers, then we would be in the top 8 by now.

Archived