BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Don Martin

only2garners

I may have missed this as I've been away for the last 2 weeks but there doesn't seem to have been any mention of Don Martin's sad death at the tragically young age of 65. He may not have been at the highest level but he provided plenty of entertainment for me in my formative years as a Rovers fan in the old Third Division team. There was a nice article by Paul Agnew in today's programme.

" Come on Without, Come on Within, You've not seen nothing like Don Martin " To the tune of Bob Dylan's "Mighty Quinn ". That was the chant in the late 60's early 70's. A tall slim classy player with a good touch, could play centre half or centre forward equally well. He'd been an England Youth international at Northampton, Rovers signed him for the substantial fee of £40,000 when they were still trying to replace Fred Pickering.I remember his debut in a boring 0-0 draw to Norwich at Ewood. He gave us great service in a period of change and upheaval. I believe he liked a half time fag or two, and a post match pint. Rest in peace Don.

Respects to Dons family.

My first game at Ewood was in the 74/75 season, was 11 at the time, against Huddersfield town, ending 1-1 IRRC.

Stuart Metcalfe's granny lived down the road from me on Mowbray Avenue.

I think I saw Don play 2 or 3 times, respect to any player that smokes 40 a day ans still scores.

Old times, but good times.

I may have missed this as I've been away for the last 2 weeks but there doesn't seem to have been any mention of Don Martin's sad death at the tragically young age of 65. He may not have been at the highest level but he provided plenty of entertainment for me in my formative years as a Rovers fan in the old Third Division team. There was a nice article by Paul Agnew in today's programme.

The saddest part in that article was hearing that he died alone and was found by a neighbour. Don and his family used to live on our road ... I remember playing out with his lad. He was defiantly one of my heroes from my formative Rovers supporting years .... and for the part he played in the famous Plymouth 5-2 demolition (still my favourite ever game) will always be a Rovers legend. Thanks for the memories Don.

wow didn't know this...shame on rovers then for no silence.

I think black armbands are easily enough to mark his passsing. Minutes silences are way too frequent nowadays and as such become devalued. Don't want top speak ill of course but Don wasn't a Blackburn lad, he wasn't leading scorer or regular captain and he didn't stay around here when he left.

One of the few decent players to wear the shirt ,when I first went on the hallowed ground ..

Late 60s

Remember him in the Plymouth 5-2 game best !!!!

Rest in Peace Don

I was playing down at Pleasington fields that afternoon. It was the first major promotion match after years of decline and the town was buzzing all week. Worst bit was missing the match and the best bit was that we could hear the crowd roar each time Rovers scored. Believe me the crowd noise previous to that match had not been big enough to have been heard at the Brown Cow never mind Plessy fields. :rover: