BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers 3-2 Burnley

sambo

The scene was set for perhaps the most hyped East Lancashire game in recent history, and it was the first encounter between the two teams in the Premier League. The Telegraph ran headlines on the game for weeks, and internet forums and schools/colleges became a battleground. To make it worse, the Dingles were actually above us. However, their away form was horrible, and we looked strong at home. Then it happened. This is my day...

Few bottles before the game, nervous as hell. Watched the 'Bring on the Clarets' DVD to get me pumped up, not that I needed it. Got to the ground two hours or so before kick off, to greet their coaches in (however we weren't allowed to give any offensive gestures, so after the first warning we were restricted to merely waving). I saw my mate on the coach who delighted in banging on the windows abusing me. Most of the fans on the coaches looked like typical Dingles though! Even made my way on Sky before the game; with my Brother screaming 'COME ON ROVERS'. Then after some milling about, off to the ground.

Had a pint inside, and joined in with the chanting in the Blackburn End lower tier concourse. After a bit of chanting, off to my seat. Wow, the noise was incredible. Everyone was up for it, chanting like I have never seen at Ewood. The game was a blur if I'm being honest. They scored a screamer, knew it was going to happen as soon as he got the ball. They went mental, everything seemed to go blank. It almost felt like an out of body experience, but a horrible one. Stood there, but didn't get angry or upset. I have no idea why.

Then, there was the wonderful fightback. Dunn scored, and chaos ensued. Then it was Di Santo's turn... I thought the referee had given a foul and didn't celebrate, then I realised and again it was mental. Ran around block N05 like a nutter, same for the third goal. Enjoyed baiting the scum, and felt amazing! The Second Half was grim, some good chanting but the team just defended, not really offering much going forward. They scored, and I have never fretted that much in my life. Burnley's pressure was kicked up a notch, and at one point it looked like Eagles would get a good shot away. After what felt like forever, the whistle went. What a feeling... then 'I gotta feelin' came on and everyone was going crazy, dancing and singing. Absolute jubilation.

Went home from there, after their coaches came past. Saw a few sheepish Dingles from college on the coach. Some tried giving stick at us, with one arse stuck to the window, some chants of "town full of p***s", but most looked dejected. Brilliant. Got home and had a few.

Overall, what a day. One of the best in my 17 year old life as a Rovers fan.

Share your memories...

:brfc::rover:

My memories...

I could hear the Burnley fans being delivered from all the way up the Livesey Branch outside the Navigation. Was sat right over by their fans in the Jack Walker stand, by far the best atmos I've ever experienced! Some one right by us had a banner reading 'there's only one simon garner and he hates the dingles'. As kick off got closer the noise kept rising and by the time the teams actually did kick off the whole place was throbbing. They scored early on, but Rovers responded strongly and after Dunn had equalised he gave the Burnley fans a long hard stare (way after his team-mates had headed back to their own half for the restart). Two more goals for Rovers shut the Dingles up and sent spirits off the scale... The fireworks let off behind the riverside early in the second half had perhaps been let off in full confidence of a Rovers victory, but Rovers being Rovers, they had to give their fans a scare... I got a text from a mate congratulating my team's win at exactly the same moment as Burnley got their second. The collective blood pressure of Ewood rose by 300% and the added time seemed like an hour, but the final whistle went and everybody blue and white sighed in massive relief - home win. A Burnley fan got out a banner reading 'beaten but still above you lot' which seemed to say that deep down they do know we are the superior club! Outside people were hugging and jumping in the streets, I had to get back to Birmingham, but the texts I got told me that the celebrations had carried on into the night and the town would go to bed very very happy.

Edited by elwaxo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on Turf Moor as a kid, Rovers were 3 - 0 down in the FA Cup, remember saying to my dad, we wont lose dad, we drew 3 - 3 won the replay 2 - 0 at Ewood, happy days :D

Still remember the ball bouncing up onto Alex Elders arm, ref gave a pen and Douglas scored, think Mick Mcgrath got the equaliser, went to Maine Road for the semis and couldnt get a ticket for the final!!!

Edited by Kelbo

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.