BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ParsonBlue...with you all the way. Just packing to go to Villa,then london then Heathrow.

And when I get the 3500 miles back they will say 'you only went for the football' and I will

say 'you just have to follow your team' not like the Internet "Personalities" on here who like

the sound of their own post.Then I come back for the Hull home match with my season-ticket in

my wallet.These are the good years and we support the team 1st,2nd and 3rd.

Rubbish phillipl. You support the club not individuals. I support Blackburn Rovers - not the manager, not the overpaid players who seem to play if the mood takes them, and not the owners who seem to have left John Williams to manage as best he can without financial support.

Times have been far worse than this. Let's be honest, when we were at the foot of the Third Division you couldn't dream of being 12th in the top division and in a major semi-final. I do agree with Sam when he says that Blackburn fans have been spoilt and seem to believe that the Jack Walker era is still with us today. The Trust are not Jack Walker and today we have reverted to what we have been in the past - a small town club struggling to survive. When looked at in those terms I believe that we are doing pretty well to be honest.

So we're supposed to meekly accept rubbish tactics in a cup semi-final, because it's better than being at the foot of the 3rd Division? I'm sorry that doesn't make any sort of sense.

Of course everyone supports the club above individuals, that's why we're all desperate to see a win tonight. The manager is hopefully bluffing, because if he really does send them out to soak up pressure and nick a goal then "see what happens" and that approach fails (as it has 9 times in 10 games), then there will be inevitable disquiet in the stands.

The "we were once bottom of the 3rd Division" line will ring bloody hollow this time tomorrow if we're out of the cup because the players weren't allowed to get after this 2nd leg tie in the best way they know how - all out for the win from the 1st minute.

Being a small town club etc has nothing to do with tonights game. The ball needs to hit the back of the Villa net at least 2 probably 3+ times if we're to make the most of our situation. If he plays to draw the 1st half and it backfires I for one will be furious.

I can accept defeat tonight, aslong as we have given everything - however we need to give it 120%. We shouldnt shirk a tackle or a 50/50, we should harass them and get stuck in and we should have a real go at them from the start. 4-4-2 please Sam.

Go at them early, have a couple of early chances and calm down the Clarets with their flags! Come on boys, you can do it if you want it!

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/10/01/19/manual_191440.html

I haven't checked this out as I'm at work - but according to this - you can get 125/1 (Blue Square) on Rovers to win the game in extra time. It's unlikely I know - but 125/1!!!!

EDIT - Appears to be down to 50/1 now. :(

I could just about accept Pedersen playing if Olsson is at left back (still think Olsson should be on the wing though after SUnday). Pedersen has scored a couple recently, his delivery has improved. However Diouf (or Roberts or Andrews) anywhere near the team after two and a half months of simply abject performances is completely unacceptable.

Rubbish phillipl. You support the club not individuals. I support Blackburn Rovers - not the manager, not the overpaid players who seem to play if the mood takes them, and not the owners who seem to have left John Williams to manage as best he can without financial support.

Times have been far worse than this. Let's be honest, when we were at the foot of the Third Division you couldn't dream of being 12th in the top division and in a major semi-final. I do agree with Sam when he says that Blackburn fans have been spoilt and seem to believe that the Jack Walker era is still with us today. The Trust are not Jack Walker and today we have reverted to what we have been in the past - a small town club struggling to survive. When looked at in those terms I believe that we are doing pretty well to be honest.

Couldnt agree more. However, without those individuals and certain managers we wouldnt be where are today. You just have to some how try and support the players, because they represent Blackburn Rovers. The players and manager will move on, but new players will come in to represent the club. Am i making sense :lol:

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/10/01/19/manual_191440.html

I haven't checked this out as I'm at work - but according to this - you can get 125/1 (Blue Square) on Rovers to win the game in extra time. It's unlikely I know - but 125/1!!!!

Worth a pound of anyones money......Football is a funny old game! :brfc:

I can understand what Sam is saying, because if we approach the game gung-ho, we could find ourselves out of the tie by half-time. Our lack of pace and movement is just perfect for Villa's counter-attacking football. That said, barricading 11 men behind the ball will be equally foolhardy.

Latest interview from Sam on the BBC:

"We will go all out attack against Aston Villa tonight and be as positive as we can. Our lightning quick players will easily penetrate Aston Villa's vulnerable defence and defensively we're safe because we have a back four who are absolutely solid defensively, can match Villa's pace and never suffer lapses in concentration, and our goalkeeper is an expert at saving long shots. Let's completely ignore Villa's strength and just go for it because we are Blackburn Rovers Football club, a great and proud club, who can beat anyone if we try our hardest."

^ What fans want to hear. Otherwise known as "delusion".

God forbid, Sam says we will try and nullify Villa's strengths first before trying to make attacks of our own. We are only playing an away match against a side technically superior to us, as well as superior to us in speed. We should totally just go out attack and not care about how they can tear us apart with ease. Get real :rolleyes:

--------------Robbo-------------

Emerton---Samba--Nelsen---Olsson

---------Reid?----N'zonzi-------

Hoillet-----------------Pedersen

--------Kalinic--Benni----------

We took this approach at the start of the year and if I'm being honest I was both surprised and pleased when we did. A few individual mistakes let us down but we created lots of good chances in what would be perceived as two tricky games anyway.

Guest Kamy100

I think that we have a chance tonight and judging from what Sam has said in the press it seems to be confident that he has the right "plan" to deal with Villa tonight, we shall see. As Tris says, it would be hugely disappointing if we are overly cautious in the first half, that doesn't mean that we should be all out attack but it does mean that we show some positive intent from the off. Also hope that we close down Villa from the off, I thought in the first leg, at times we dropped deep and backed off and that allowed Villa to control the game and use their main strength which is the pace they posses. After watching the West Ham game I convinced that if we can somehow shut down their pacey players we can effectively shut down Villa. We have been one dimensional with the use of the long ball this season, Villa are equally one dimensional as they place a huge reliance on using their quicker players namely Young, Milner and Aghbanlahore(sp) to open up times.

On a side note, this is a huge game for Sam, not because of the pressure that he has been under but because he is desperate to win a trophy as a manager, with his ill health I personally can't see him being in the game for much longer than a couple of season, with time running out on his managerial career, so at 1-0 down this represents a great chance for him .

Allardyce needs to take a look at himself and ask why the fans are being negative about this semi final. We’ve not been negative about semi finals in the past, and they’ve been against the likes of Man United with good home and away support as I recall, Sheffield Wednesday we took 5000 for a midweek game.

Its simply down to the him, his tactics and the pathetic performances we have to endure week in week out.

Hope that’s answered your questions Sam :angry2:

My opinion is that he is playing mind games. He knows villa choke when they are favourites (4th place last year). He wants their players to assume that they can turn up and win. That will be our best chance.

I am feeling quite confident. Daring to believe....

Yesterday has gone tomorrow has not yet begun. A beautiful sky is rising over Allentown. The time is now for us to seize the moment. I feel good about this game. Lets get it done. Believe.

Today has begun, my boiler has packed in, had nothing but complaints from customers all morning, it's freezing at work and home and Fatty Arbuckle thinks we can nick two goals off Villa away and conceded none.

And there are tremendous rumblings in Prussia. But that could be something to do with the sausages.

Benni was playing no further than Dunn did against Villa. The difference is that McCarthy showed up for his match and Dunn didn't. People are just being myopic in believing we played a 4-4-2.

You're wrong, plain and simple. Did you actually go to the game? Benni was far further forward than Dunn. Think you must be suffering from full-on blindness rather than simply myopia!

Although you're right that Benni turned up when Dunny didn't.

You're wrong, plain and simple. Did you actually go to the game? Benni was far further forward than Dunn. Think you must be suffering from full-on blindness rather than simply myopia!

Believe what you like to make you happy, but both Dunn & McCarthy were clearly playing second-striker roles in the last two games. Benni came deep to receive the ball many a time, and Kalinic was often chasing lost causes on his lonesome. There's no way that was a straight 4-4-2. No, siree.

I have a feeling that they'll not know whether to stick or twist tonight and invite pressure.

It's down to the manager to make sure we are positive from the off and put the pressure on them. If we get an early goal, it's ours to lose. I just hope that his comments this morning are a smokescreen to what are his plans.

Archived