BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time Up Pompey?

Stuart

On Pompey...there would be real trouble if they went bust...I am told all points gained against them would be struck from the record.

Only two other teams would go down. But if they vanished completely that would mean an extra promotion place from League One and League Two probably.

Pinched this quote from the 'Target's' thread. Got me wondering what would the PL be like post-Pompey.

This would be the situation if all of their results and goals were wiped from the face of the 09/10 season:

PompeyGone3.jpg

The fact that very little really changes shows just how little they've contributed this season.

Would the PL allow them to go under mid-season? Is there any precedent - even across Europe?

Would Sunderland go through to the next round of the FA Cup? Or would Southampton get a bye?

And would we really be sorry this chap institutionalised?

gallery_ii_470x300.jpg

Or, have they turned the corner?

Pompey's great clear out will not save them. Funny how Storrie is back talking about them!

But this shows the situation is even worse! The new owners have put in all of.... £4m in loans. That £6m figure for Kaboul is almost certainly wrong by the way, £7m for Kaboul and Begovic was probably right so is Begovic only worth £1m???

EDIT: Good spot Philip - games played corrected

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely Pompey would just go into administration and have 9 points deducted- they wouldn't disappear?

That second table has a slight problem in the games played column methinks.

Pompey disappearing changes things decisively for Arsenal and Liverpool by the way.

Surely Pompey would just go into administration and have 9 points deducted- they wouldn't disappear?

That second table has a slight problem in the games played column methinks.

Pompey disappearing changes things decisively for Arsenal and Liverpool by the way.

Your last point is abated by your second point. Now I've corrected the games played, Arsenal have an extra game in hand.

You're right though, nothing like points in the bag! (As Rovers have found recently while we stay a game in front of those around us).

If they cannot pay HMRC their money in full (or prove they don't owe it) on 10/02 their bank accounts will be frozen making it nigh on impossible for them to continue to trade as a football club.

Police, staff and other suppliers are not going to give their services if they don't think they will be paid.

If and administrator is appointed and can't find any money they will be wound up.

something similar happened to FC Lyn Oslo in Norway this season (2009). Maybe some of my norwegian friends can fill in the details? I think they had to play all the games to the end because removing all their points would not be fair to the rest of the clubs.

Think of it. What about all yellow/red cards, injures, stress from playing more games than needed etc. also, what about matchday income for all the other clubs?

Cant see it working that way IF they did go bust...

Bookies will of paid out on games, punters will of backed them to get relegated/ stay up etc.....Fans will want money back off the FA for games attended that no longer count etc.

They will go into Admin and then someone else will take over/ or worst case the fans will buy it!

Bookies will of paid out on games, punters will of backed them to get relegated/ stay up etc.....Fans will want money back off the FA for games attended that no longer count etc.

They will go into Admin and then someone else will take over/ or worst case the fans will buy it!

I'm not sure either Hughsey BUT...

Bookies will have paid out on results at the time. They were results at the time of the payout.

I'd have thought them going bust would be as good as relegation.

Fans went to the matches and got what they paid for - watching football. Good luck to any Pompey (creditor in the form of a) season ticket holder wanting the rest of his money back. He'll probably get an administrators check for about £1.34...!

If he's lucky!!

I think you might have it right with the last sentence though! Whoever bought it would be buying a Championship club though by that time.

Bit like West Ham (at the time), I DO feel sorry for the genuine fans in all this. Even Mr. Westwood.

Halifax Town owed HMRC money and they were effectively expunged.

Match bets, tickets purchased etc will be totally irrelevant if they are wound up.

something is bugging me greatly if Pompey are wound up by HMRC and they go bust why would everyone else be docked points. That bit is a bit confusing as we have already played that game and now it's gone and if that is the case it seems as though are faint chances of getting in Europe will be seriously harmed. Seems a bit odd to me can someone please explain how it all works and why everyone will be docked points? thanks.

• Backroom

I can't see it happening there would be too much outrage.

For example what if someone had been sent off or injured against Pompey and as a result missed games in which their team lost?

something is bugging me greatly if Pompey are wound up by HMRC and they go bust why would everyone else be docked points. That bit is a bit confusing as we have already played that game and now it's gone and if that is the case it seems as though are faint chances of getting in Europe will be seriously harmed. Seems a bit odd to me can someone please explain how it all works and why everyone will be docked points? thanks.

Imagine if they completely disappeared tomorrow. We'd be in a situation where some teams have played them twice, some teams have played them once at home, and some teams have played them once away.

Rolling that to the end of the season, it would mean that some teams will have played 38 games and some will have only played 37, which is a situation that the league can't be left with.

So to make it fair they void all the games that pompey have played as if they hadn't existed all season and the league only had 19 teams. Of course this has impacts for teams if they've already played them twice and got 6 points, but it is the only way round the situation really.

I can't see it happening there would be too much outrage.

For example what if someone had been sent off or injured against Pompey and as a result missed games in which their team lost?

Unless we buy some of their players to keep them a float until the end of the season. Anyway i think the most likly situation would be that they go into administration until the end of the season to see if a buyer come along. When you consider how many games are left. have they not just sold a player, which covers this months wages? May give them a little breathing space. Is not one of their keeps also being sold? Plus maybe dindane.

• Backroom

Still think we should have gone for KP Boetang and launched an appeal to allow him to play this season and if not loan him back to Pompey.

It would mean we could have got him at a snip for next season at least

Still think we should have gone for KP Boetang and launched an appeal to allow him to play this season and if not loan him back to Pompey.

It would mean we could have got him at a snip for next season at least

This is actually a very good idea. Quick, someone get John Williams and/or Sam on the phone.

He's already played for two clubs this season, that is why there is no point in getting him in.

Which is why TCO suggested loaning him back to Pompey, then we have him starting this coming season. Or would the sale to the Rovers count against the 3 club rule, even if he didn't actually play for us?

Pinched this quote from the 'Target's' thread. Got me wondering what would the PL be like post-Pompey.

This would be the situation if all of their results and goals were wiped from the face of the 09/10 season:

PompeyGone3.jpg

The fact that very little really changes shows just how little they've contributed this season.

Would the PL allow them to go under mid-season? Is there any precedent - even across Europe?

Would Sunderland go through to the next round of the FA Cup? Or would Southampton get a bye?

And would we really be sorry this chap institutionalised?

gallery_ii_470x300.jpg

Or, have they turned the corner?

EDIT: Good spot Philip - games played corrected

Any particular reason why you have not moved Burnley up 2 places, so that the league would look correct? :rolleyes:

Imagine if they completely disappeared tomorrow. We'd be in a situation where some teams have played them twice, some teams have played them once at home, and some teams have played them once away.

Rolling that to the end of the season, it would mean that some teams will have played 38 games and some will have only played 37, which is a situation that the league can't be left with.

So to make it fair they void all the games that pompey have played as if they hadn't existed all season and the league only had 19 teams. Of course this has impacts for teams if they've already played them twice and got 6 points, but it is the only way round the situation really.

I think at this stage of the season the FA would step in and keep the club running until the end of the season. The only other option would be to void all Pompey games.

I really hope they don't go out of business, I've no feeling for Pompey but imagine if it was our club? Imagine life without football! If it was the Rovers going out of business I wouldn't be able to support another team.

Archived